You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-17 05:30:42

jdgordon01

Issues running cisco-vpnclient

Hi,

I've been trying to get the cisco-vpnclient package (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cisco-vpnclient/) from the AUR working on my Arch install so that I can connect to my university's VPN. It seems to have installed OK and I've set up a profile for the VPN I'm connecting to, but when I run "vpnclient connect profile" I get this:

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.01 (0640)
Copyright (C) 1998-2007 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Client Type(s): Linux
Running on: Linux 3.12.1-3-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 26 11:17:02 CET 2013 x86_64
Config file directory: /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient

Could not attach to driver. Is kernel module loaded?
The application was unable to communicate with the VPN sub-system.

At the same time, I installed a graphical front-end for the VPN client, cvpncg (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cvpncg/). When I run this programme, it just hangs at "/bin/sh: /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init: No such file or directory". After a bit of searching around I realised that the problem might be to do with systemd daemons, as apparently the cisco-vpnclient package doesn't install a daemon automatically. However, I eventually found a .service file in the AUR package which starts without any problems, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything when I run vpnclient.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

#2 2014-02-17 08:53:02

Rexilion

Re: Issues running cisco-vpnclient

My best guess is that, given that the software does not provide it's own modules, you need to load the tun/tap driver.

modprobe tun

I thought the Cisco VPN client was called vpnc (which worked for me). Ow well.

fs/super.c : "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n",

#3 2014-02-17 09:59:05

Raynman

You say "I get this [output]", which includes the question/hint "Is kernel module loaded?" but then you jump to the GUI without addressing this...

Rexilion wrote:

My best guess is that, given that the software does not provide it's own modules, you need to load the tun/tap driver.

Did you even look at the PKGBUILD?

install -Dm644 cisco_ipsec.ko "$pkgdir/lib/modules/$_kernver/extramodules/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko"

#4 2014-02-17 10:05:33

Rexilion

I did not expect a VPN solution to carry it's own kernel modules. The kernel already has those for IPSEC called netkey.

So the command becomes:

modprobe cisco_ipsec

fs/super.c : "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n",

Board footer