You are not logged in.

#1826 2014-02-13 21:56:17

bendersteed

Re: Ranger, a textbased filemanager

That would be really nice.
Again great job on ranger, for me the most usable of all file managers, cli, curses or gui.

Petite veille d'ivresse, sainte ! quand ce ne serait que pour le masque dont tu as gratifié. Nous t'affirmons, méthode ! Nous n'oublions pas que tu as glorifié hier chacun de nos âges. Nous avons foi au poison. Nous savons donner notre vie tout entière tous les jours.

Voici le temps des Assassins.

#1827 2014-02-14 10:56:12

Kolibry

Le Void wrote:

A few months ago somebody in this thread said that ranger in termite does not yet support true color preview using w3mimgdisplay.
I found that w3mimgdisplay itself works inside of termite, so is there any chance termite true color preview support for termite will be added soon, or is there already a way to make it work?

As a new termite user, I second that tongue

Thanks again for ranger, really great software smile

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290
ArchLinux Openbox - My Github

#1828 2014-02-14 12:22:43

Veedrac

About Termite; I've realised the same thing a week or so before and the only thing that seemed to be a problem was Ranger's inability to detect the size of characters in Termite. If there's a method I'd be oh-so-glad to see it, and the patch should be quite simple. If not, one can hard-code them simply, although that messes with changing the font size.

Last edited by Veedrac (2014-02-14 12:23:19)

#1829 2014-02-14 13:45:00

progandy

Veedrac wrote:

About Termite; I've realised the same thing a week or so before and the only thing that seemed to be a problem was Ranger's inability to detect the size of characters in Termite. If there's a method I'd be oh-so-glad to see it, and the patch should be quite simple. If not, one can hard-code them simply, although that messes with changing the font size.

There is a bugreport and patch on github.
https://github.com/hut/ranger/issues/109

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#1830 2014-02-14 18:58:22

angelic_sedition
Website

progandy wrote:
Veedrac wrote:

Thank you; this made my day. For anyone interested, I've tested this successfully in termite, terminology, gnome-terminal, and it also works with tmux now. Although the weird ascii preview is gone for terminator, guake, sakura, roxterm, konsole, etc. (wasn't expecting them to work, but I'm not sure how to get the ascii preview back). With urxvt, the picture is also too far to the left. Image preview with urxvt has always been screwy for me though.

#1831 2014-02-14 19:20:53

XxArcaneXx

shoe wrote:
fiddler wrote:

it's silly but I've got a little problem here , ranger cannot preview image in true colors while in urxvtc but it works great on plain urxvt (non daemonized) does anyone here got the same issue?
also somehow ranger kept refusing to draw borders around column even when i set the correct value ( set draw_borders true)

In regards to the preview image issue...
On my setup, if I take the urxvt*depth:32 line out of my .Xresources (and ultimately disable transparency), then w3mdisplay will display images correctly through ranger. Otherwise I get an error somewhere along the lines of w3mdisplay failing to display the image.
I hope this gets worked on because I have a hard time deciding between transparency and image previews tongue

The closest thing I have found to a fix is to use a bash alias, this would allow you to keep transparency for everything other than ranger. Add this to .bashrc:

alias ranger='nohup urxvt -depth 16 -e ranger && urxvt & exit'

#1832 2014-02-14 19:52:42

zeltak

hya all

few question i have if you guys dont mind:

-how does enter a return in a console command, for example

/home/zeltak/Downloads

map eg  chain tab_open 4; cd /home/zeltak/bin/

this works but the last step needs a manual RETURN to switch to the directory. i tried a vim like <CR> but that didnt work

- is there a way to add mod time and file types columns alongside the size column on the right of ranger?

- is there a way to save "sessions", ie all the tabs currently open?

-is there a way to lock tabs? lock to certain dir, disallow close tab etc?

thx alot

Z

Last edited by zeltak (2014-02-14 19:57:42)

#1833 2014-02-17 21:11:57

Kolibry

angelic_sedition wrote:
progandy wrote:
Veedrac wrote:

Thank you; this made my day. For anyone interested, I've tested this successfully in termite, terminology, gnome-terminal, and it also works with tmux now. Although the weird ascii preview is gone for terminator, guake, sakura, roxterm, konsole, etc. (wasn't expecting them to work, but I'm not sure how to get the ascii preview back). With urxvt, the picture is also too far to the left. Image preview with urxvt has always been screwy for me though.

Can you explain how did you apply it ? Thanks.

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290

#1834 2014-02-17 21:19:53

angelic_sedition
Website

Kolibry wrote:
angelic_sedition wrote:
progandy wrote:

Can you explain how did you apply it ? Thanks.

Put the rev 2 patch in the directory where the ranger directory is (which is /usr/lib/python3.3/site-pakages/ for me) and apply it with "(sudo)  patch -p1 > ranger-999..(rest of the .patch file name)"

#1835 2014-02-17 21:25:21

progandy

angelic_sedition wrote:

Put the rev 2 patch in the directory where the ranger directory is (which is /usr/lib/python3.3/site-pakages/ for me) and apply it with "(sudo)  patch -p1 > ranger-999..(rest of the .patch file name)"

That or copy the block manually with a texteditor. Since the patch is now merged, you could simply install ranger-git.

#1836 2014-02-17 21:32:57

angelic_sedition
Website

progandy wrote:
angelic_sedition wrote:

That or copy the block manually with a texteditor. Since the patch is now merged, you could simply install ranger-git.

Yeah, looks like the urxvt problem has been fixed as well.

#1837 2014-02-17 21:38:14

Le Void

progandy wrote:
angelic_sedition wrote:

ty for the information, just updated my ranger and it works like a charm! smile

#1838 2014-02-20 18:25:24

Kolibry

Hi,

I've just made a mistake and deleted sometyhing I didn't want to. Am I able to recover this stuff ? Where ranger put the deleted items ? I checked Trash of Gui's (thunar) but there's nothing, does it mean that ranger erases these things of my computer ...?

#1839 2014-02-20 18:48:44

ttz

Kolibry wrote:

Hi,

I've just made a mistake and deleted sometyhing I didn't want to. Am I able to recover this stuff ? Where ranger put the deleted items ? I checked Trash of Gui's (thunar) but there's nothing, does it mean that ranger erases these things of my computer ...?

The default "delete" used by ranger is the unix "rm" command, so yes, I am afraid it is "gone".

There are some methods to recover files deleted this way, but they are sketchy at best. You can try googling and trying them to see if you get lucky.

Character shines in the great moments, but is polished in the little ones.

#1840 2014-02-20 21:02:05

Kolibry

Ok, so I guess I really need to make ranger use a trash before doing something really really bad...

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to define the current command "delete" to, for example "move to a directory /path/to/trash" ?

I checked the wiki and that's not quite what I want I think.

Last edited by Kolibry (2014-02-20 21:07:45)

#1841 2014-02-20 22:40:38

angelic_sedition
Website

Kolibry wrote:

Ok, so I guess I really need to make ranger use a trash before doing something really really bad...

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to define the current command "delete" to, for example "move to a directory /path/to/trash" ?

Do something like this in your rc.conf
map DD shell mv -t /home/(yourusename)/.local/share/Trash %s

#1842 2014-02-20 23:34:48

progandy

angelic_sedition wrote:
Kolibry wrote:

If you want to support the complete freedesktop trash specification, try this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/trash

#1843 2014-02-21 07:30:25

Kolibry

angelic_sedition : Yes I saw that, that's not exactly what I wanted, but I finished to accept that method.

progandy : Thanks I'll look into it smile

#1844 2014-02-21 09:10:58

fukin_jim

progandy wrote:
angelic_sedition wrote:
Kolibry wrote:

If you want to support the complete freedesktop trash specification, try this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/trash

Personally I use trash-cli (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/trash-cli/) and change
map <DELETE>   console delete
to
map <DELETE> shell trash-put %s

That way you have a proper trash and don't accidentally remove a file permanently.

#1845 2014-02-21 16:51:43

angelic_sedition
Website

fukin_jim wrote:
progandy wrote:
angelic_sedition wrote:

Personally I use trash-cli (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/trash-cli/) and change
to

That way you have a proper trash and don't accidentally remove a file permanently.

Yeah, I've tried it, but it didn't work for me, and I was too lazy at the time to try to fix it. I never touch the delete key personally though. It's too far out of the way.

#1846 2014-02-23 09:47:20

fukin_jim

angelic_sedition wrote:
fukin_jim wrote:
progandy wrote:

to

Yeah, I've tried it, but it didn't work for me, and I was too lazy at the time to try to fix it. I never touch the delete key personally though. It's too far out of the way.

At first I was confused, as my delete key is quite close on my laptop, then I sat down at my desktop and it all suddenly made sense to me.  I also map DD for the same purpose too, but on my laptop the old habit of smacking delete when a file annoys me has yet to die.  much like when I sit at any computer that isn't mine and I end up typing in caps from trying to use the esc.

Another useful thing with trash-cli is to do
map <C-u> shell -w restore-trash
makes fixing mistakes just that much easier.

#1847 2014-04-17 19:38:43

PieterGen

Dumb question, but eh...how do I open a file as root? Case: I browse some files (as user) using ranger. Say I want to edit a config file, but I don't have the permissions. How to do this ?

What i do now is open another terminal, su (or sudo), open ranger and so on, but there must be a faster & more elegant way....thanks !

#1848 2014-04-17 19:42:27

mentat
Website

If you want to open a particular file, press '!' key and write your command with sudo.

:shell sudo vim %s

'%s' replace the selected file.

#1849 2014-04-17 19:56:16

PieterGen

Thank you mentat! Works as a charm :-) 

Yet, it could be even better...would there be a way without me typing the filename? Suppose it's a very long filename and I'm lazy....  ?

#1850 2014-04-17 21:19:25

th3voic3

Just press 'r' which gives you the "open with dialog" with 0 being your default editor and just write 'r' before that so you have

:open_with r 0

Board footer