You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-19 16:06:52

mac57
Website

Good Non-KDE/Non-Gnome GUI Mixer?

I am running XFCE with my Arch 0.7.1, and don't want to use something like KMix as my graphical mixer. I find the command line aumix not all the useful; I am looking for a good GUI Mixer. Any recommendations? For now, I have literally copied a binary of qamix from my old SuSE system, and it does run. However, I would like to find a supported Arch GUI mixer that doesn't rely on KDE or Gnome if such a thing exists. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2006-01-19 16:10:35

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: Good Non-KDE/Non-Gnome GUI Mixer?

aumix, you should recompile it yourself for enabling gtk client

edit: you should use abs for that (check out wiki entry)

#3 2006-01-19 20:58:40

Cam
Website

I use alsamixer - it's curses so it depends on your definition of GUI but it works well smile

#4 2006-01-19 21:45:03

jakob

perhaps you have a keyboard with some multimedia keys (including vol up/down) and i'm sure that xcfe has a "key manager" where you can set up the keys work as follows:

XF86AudioRaiseVolume :ExecCommand amixer -c AudioPCI set Master Playback Volume 1+

I use that with fluxbox and it's very nice smile

#5 2006-01-25 05:19:08

mac57
Website

I took pressh's suggestion and got the aumix package. After much dickering around trying to figure out how to get it to build the gui version instead of the curses version, I was successful, and now have a shiny new gui aumix running on my system.

For future reference for anyone reading this, to get the gui version to build (Arch comes with the curses version), download the source from the aumix home page, and do the ~/.configure. At this point, edit the Makefile and around line 73 or so, you will see a line that says:

GT_YES=#YES#

Edit that so that it says

GT_YES=YES

and then carry on with the make. Once you are done, you can decide for yourself whether you want to do the "make install" or not. If you proceed with the "make install" you will overwrite the aumix that came with Arch, which may or may not be an issue for you. For me, I thought it would be good to have BOTH the curses and GUI versions, so I renamed the aumix executable I had just built to gaumix, and stuck into my personal bin dir, which I have added to PATH. Now I have both versions available to me.

#6 2006-01-25 06:01:24

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

mac57 wrote:

For future reference for anyone reading this, to get the gui version to build (Arch comes with the curses version), download the source from the aumix home page, and do the ~/.configure. At this point, edit the Makefile and around line 73 or so, you will see a line that says:

GT_YES=#YES#

Edit that so that it says

GT_YES=YES

and then carry on with the make. Once you are done, you can decide for yourself whether you want to do the "make install" or not. If you proceed with the "make install" you will overwrite the aumix that came with Arch, which may or may not be an issue for you. For me, I thought it would be good to have BOTH the curses and GUI versions, so I renamed the aumix executable I had just built to gaumix, and stuck into my personal bin dir, which I have added to PATH. Now I have both versions available to me.

This is unneeded complication. wink In the PKGBUILD from abs, change the line

./configure --prefix=/usr --without-alsa --without-gtk --without-gtk1

to

./configure --prefix=/usr --without-alsa --with-gtk

After installation,
For gtk GUI: $ aumix
For ncurses GUI: $ xaumix

#7 2006-01-25 07:45:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

Running xfce ... looking for non-KNOME gui mixer ...

You do know about xfce4-mixer, right? big_smile

mixer.png

#8 2006-01-25 09:43:16

pressh
Developer/TU

tomk wrote:

Running xfce ... looking for non-KNOME gui mixer ...

You do know about xfce4-mixer, right? big_smile

mixer.png

man, if I would be running xfce that mixer would be way too big to fit on my screen  :shock:

#9 2006-01-25 10:34:35

tomk
Forum Fellow

It's configurable ....

mixer2.png

#10 2006-01-26 08:16:44

pressh
Developer/TU

tomk wrote:

It's configurable ....

mixer2.png

ah okay, that looks a bit smaller indeed. With a good gtk2 theme it could even look quite good, although not as good as aumix in my opinion.

#11 2006-01-31 03:01:49

mac57
Website

Well, yes I am aware that there is an XFCE4 mixer, but the window is always COMPLETELY empty when I open it - not sure what the problem is. I put the mixer on my panel, and its volume bar does show the correct volume, but if I click the mixer icon, I get a completely blank window. I just assumed it didn't work. Apparently it does! Can anyone suggest any reasons why the window might be blank? aumix and gamix and alsamix *all* show the expected stuff, and work as expected. Why not XFCE4-mixer?

#12 2006-01-31 03:13:04

mac57
Website

OK, solved my own problem... but created a new one.

I right clicked the icon on the panel for the XFCE4 mixer and selected "Properties". XFCE4-mixer will still set on "Default". When I selected the right mixer, voila! I had the sort of screen that I have seen in this thread.

But, XFCE4 takes quite a long time to draw the mixer, and it flashes (refreshes?) the entire display several times while doing it. Its a good looking mixer, with all the needed controls, but it is pretty much too slow and too annoying to use. In additions, the "Options" selection on the File menu doesn't seem to do anything, although it also takes a long time to not do it, and refreshes the screen several times in the process.

Any ideas? Thanks!

#13 2006-01-31 03:58:52

elasticdog
Website

I had the same problem here (see this post: xfce4-mixer window is blank) and haven't been able to figure it out.  I noticed the same non-functionality of changing things in options menu directly.  Perhap's I'll try your panel idea tonight when I get home and see if I run into the same problems.

NOTE: We should probably continue this conversation over in the other thread...

#14 2006-02-03 01:54:43

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

In case there's still an interest in this matter, I just found this: http://volumecontrol.sourceforge.net/
Didn't tried it though.

#15 2006-02-08 17:55:01

aquila_deus
Website

mac57 wrote:

I am running XFCE with my Arch 0.7.1, and don't want to use something like KMix as my graphical mixer. I find the command line aumix not all the useful; I am looking for a good GUI Mixer. Any recommendations? For now, I have literally copied a binary of qamix from my old SuSE system, and it does run. However, I would like to find a supported Arch GUI mixer that doesn't rely on KDE or Gnome if such a thing exists. Any recommendations? Thanks!

ossxmix wink

#16 2006-02-08 22:12:16

mac57
Website

Snowman, thanks. VolumeControl looks interesting. At this point, I have qamix, aumix-GUI and XFCE-mixer all running, but I am always on the hunt for light and fast alternatives. VolumeControl looks like another of those GTK-only sorts of apps that I love so much - they load SO quickly and work SO well. I will try it out and report back.

#17 2006-02-09 04:47:35

mac57
Website

OK, I downloaded the source, built volumecontrol and tried it out. Simple, fast and effective. Quite a plain user interface, and not many options, but it does the trick. All things considered though, I prefer qamix. It is the best one  I have found so far. My 2 cents! Thanks again for pointing it out!

Board footer