You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-05 14:51:06

gonX

[Solved] Skype mutes MPD whenever Skype outputs something

Hey guys,

Whenever Skype opens my sound device, it seems like MPD gets muted (but not paused, checked by writing 'mpc' - and it says "Playing"), which kind of necessitates DND mode in Skype. I've tried to solve this for a long time, as I also had the same issue on my Desktop (which has a completely different hardware configuration from my laptop).

Either my Google-fu is really crappy (tried 'pulseaudio skype mute', 'mpd skype pulseaudio mute'  'skype pulseaudio mute', etc..) or I seem to be the only one with this setup (mpd + Skype + PulseAudio)?

The weird thing is that ONLY mpd gets muted... if I, for example, have a Wine process outputting sound at the same time (e.g. World of Warcraft), sound from that will continue, even though mpd gets muted in PulseAudio.

The even weirder thing is that if I enable "Simultaneous output to Build-in Analog Stereo   " (including the last few spaces), it works, but it's obviously not desirable since it will output to any external sound cards I hook up from time to time.

Regards, and thanks for the help in forward.

*EDIT*

And before anyone asks.. yes, I've disabled "Allow Skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels". That doesn't seem to prevent it from doing it anyway, though smile

# Solved with the wiki fix.

Last edited by gonX (2012-09-05 14:52:34)

since 2009

#2 2012-10-02 19:03:03

meszka

Re: [Solved] Skype mutes MPD whenever Skype outputs something

I had the same problem. This solution helped: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sk … nd_sources (I commented out module-role-cork).

#3 2014-02-18 22:00:00

shutdown -h now

I had a (sort of) similar problem in where my music player (deadbeef) got randomly muted by pulseaudio. This happened often when a new audiosource began playing or when normally adjusting the master volume.

Haven't tested it extensively yet, but so far commenting out load-module module-role-cork in /etc/pulse/default.pa like meszka proposed seems to fix it.

/etc/pulse/default.pa
    #load-module module-role-cork

Last edited by shutdown -h now (2014-02-18 22:01:00)

#4 2014-02-18 22:06:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please don't necrobump old threads: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2014-02-18 22:09:33

ewaller
Administrator

Hi shutdown -h now,
That does seem relevant to this thread, but do be careful of old threads.  After more than a year, the original participants may not be watching.

I have to say though, if you ever run afoul of the moderators, it will be humorous typing your user name to the temporary ban list big_smile I chuckled out loud when I saw that one.

Edit: Never mind, Jason got here before me.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-02-18 22:10:30)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer