You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-24 16:25:47

sven

Too small UI fonts at Thunderbird [SOLVED]

Then fonts are unreadably small - here is a screenshot:
thunderbird.jpg
The same small fonts are all over the UI - in menus and other items. How could I fix them?

#2 2006-01-24 16:32:58

stonecrest

Re: Too small UI fonts at Thunderbird [SOLVED]

It uses your GTK specified font.

I am a gated community.

#3 2006-01-25 04:56:13

mac57
Website

A frequent question of mine too. Happily, you can override the defaults if you don't like them.

To change the general UI font, you need to create a file called userChrome.css in the Chrome subdirectory of your ~/.thunderbird directory. In this file, you can specify any font you want. This file can be quite large and so I won't post it here. If you simply google "userChrome.css" you will find many, many examples. If you have Firefox installed, look in its embedded Chrome directory. Mine has a file called userChrome-example.css. Copy this to ~/.thunderbird's chrome folder and customize to your hearts content. It works quite well.

To change the font used for message composition, go to Edit, Preferences, Fonts. Oddly, to set the *color* of that font, you have to go elsewhere. Go to Edit, Preferences, Composition, HTML Options, Text Color. Here you can set both the foreground and background colors.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#4 2006-01-25 05:44:34

iBertus

Maybe your DPI setting is incorrect in xorg.conf or local.conf. I'd say calculate your DPI and add it to local.conf just to see if it's an improvement.

#5 2006-01-25 13:43:19

sven

Thanks everyone for advices!

mac57, I tried your advice at first as I tried to find chrome folder before from my Thunderbird's dir and it wasn't there so thought that Thunderbird would not support that chrome thing. Setting fonts via userChrome.css settings works like charm for me, too, at Firefox.

Board footer