You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-19 19:04:42

addk

Problems with locale/utf-8characters

Just installed arch linux but are having problems with utf-8

I can use utf-8 characters in the terminal, e.g. I can enter "Ø". However if I use grep and searchs for character "Ø" it returns nothing. Same thing when grep lists document content, utf-8 characters simply print as ?. Same goes for cat, find and whatever they are called.

/etc/locale.conf
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

locale-gen
da_DK-UTF8
en_US-UTF8

localectl
System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
VC Keymap: dk-latin1
X11 Layout: n/a

locale -a
C
da_DK.utf8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

/etc/vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=dk-latin1
FONT=lat1-12

Tried to play around with the DAEMON_LOCALE=yes option in order to remove C as the primary listing when "locale -a" but as I can understand it is no longer used?

Tried different fonts, several reboots, etc, etc, but no luck. I once had a hit with grep using unicode or hex characters for the special characters but this is not a suitable solution. So basically I wan't to use utf-8 (æøå) in grep without having to enter 800 commands.

thanks

#2 2014-02-19 19:40:48

karol
Archivist

Re: Problems with locale/utf-8characters

DAEMON_LOCALE was in rc.conf which was part of initscripts, but initscripts aren't used anymore, Arch Linux uses systemd now.

Are you using cat, grep etc. in the tty or in some terminal emulator in X? If the latter, which one is that: xterm, urxvt or ...?
What's the output of

echo $TERM

#3 2014-02-19 19:58:26

addk

Re: Problems with locale/utf-8characters

I understand that, at least the part about the rc.conf being splitted.

I'm not sure what you mean. I installed arch and then added syslinux + xorg. The latter I don't use, but the problem is consistent here also.

$TERM echo'es "linux"

Board footer