You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-19 00:46:40

rdahlgren
Website

capsicum-linux vs Arch kernel

I'm doing some work porting libcapsicum to linux. This requires the capsicum-linux kernel - which I have only successfully built under Ubuntu. I don't have a lot of experience building kernels and I have a question regarding the patches applied to the Arch kernel.

The patch list page lists a series of patches applied to linux for Arch. I'm assuming I should be able to apply these to capsicum-linux, build it according to the Arch Build System instructions and be fine?

Also of note, the current Arch kernel is based on 3.12.9-2, and capsicum-linux is currently tracking 3.13.y - fingers crossed the patches are still valid :-)

If anyone else out there is interested in capsicum, we've started a channel on freenode (#capsicum) for coordinating the libcapsicum porting effort. Make yourself heard if you're out there!

#2 2014-02-19 09:56:34

andy123
Website

Re: capsicum-linux vs Arch kernel

rdahlgren wrote:

I'm doing some work porting libcapsicum to linux. This requires the capsicum-linux kernel - which I have only successfully built under Ubuntu. I don't have a lot of experience building kernels and I have a question regarding the patches applied to the Arch kernel.

The patch list page lists a series of patches applied to linux for Arch. I'm assuming I should be able to apply these to capsicum-linux, build it according to the Arch Build System instructions and be fine?

Also of note, the current Arch kernel is based on 3.12.9-2, and capsicum-linux is currently tracking 3.13.y - fingers crossed the patches are still valid :-)

If anyone else out there is interested in capsicum, we've started a channel on freenode (#capsicum) for coordinating the libcapsicum porting effort. Make yourself heard if you're out there!

Hi,

this is a file you should look at in this folder. It's more than a "series of patches applied to linux for Arch", it contains everything you need to build the package with pacman/makepkg (if you don't know how to do this, the wiki has documentation).

Since you linked to the trunk folder, this is actually a 3.13.x kernel. The stable, aka [core] kernel is still at 3.12.x, but [testing] is already at 3.13.x

I heard about capsicum and it sounds interesting, but I don't think I have enough time to test it at the moment, but we'll see.

i'm sorry for my poor english wirting skills…

#3 2014-02-20 01:58:11

rdahlgren
Website

Re: capsicum-linux vs Arch kernel

Thank you for your feedback. As I was working through the "traditional compile" page on the wiki, I found a couple of steps that were missing. The link you provided would probably have solved that for me!

Unfortunately, I can't move forward with the capsicum-linux kernel yet, as it breaks the nvidia proprietary driver due to an interface change (with the fget function specifically). I'll be hosting it on a VM in the meantime :-)

The good news is that the kernel built and ran without issue!

Board footer