You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-25 23:45:21

The_Nerd
Website

Switching desktops in xfce4 in a way similar to pekwm?

I've recently gone back to xfce4 after using pekwm for about two months. I love the way pekwm switches desktops by clicking on the edge of the screen, but it was too light for my tastes. I like the compromise that xfce4 brings but I miss dreadfully my easy desktop switching. I know you can use key bindings to execute commands in xfce, but I have been unable to come up with a way for it to switch to the next desktop if I click on the right side of the screen, or the previous desktop by clicking the left part of the screen. Is anyone familiar with a way to do such a thing or should I just pick one or the other and learn to live?

#2 2006-01-26 05:54:49

shadowhand
Website

Re: Switching desktops in xfce4 in a way similar to pekwm?

Why not use a keybind? Look at the settings for the Window Manager.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#3 2006-01-26 09:50:26

tomk
Forum Fellow

The default xfce keybinds already do it - Ctrl+Alt+RightCursor/LeftCursor.

#4 2006-01-26 14:58:11

The_Nerd
Website

i'm not a huge fan of the keyboard shortcuts since i usually am just moving my mouse around and i know that switching desktops is already mapped to the scroll button on my mouse, yet i still miss the side desktop switching. any other ideas or am i stuck with scroll wheel/keybinds

#5 2006-01-26 16:10:22

AndyRTR
Developer

There's an option in the Xfce setting manager section "window manager" - 4th tab "changing desktops". 2 ways: when moving the mouse over a screen border or moving a window over a border. I hope you'll find the option because I see them only in German language.

I dislike this mouse moving option. I just use STRG+F(1-foo) to switch.

And you can always scroll the mouse wheel on empty background and you can scroll the whell over the panel applet "graphical desktop switcher".

For me enough options.

#6 2006-01-26 20:42:30

The_Nerd
Website

yep i've seen those two options. i dont mind the window dragging but its too much for switching from desktop to desktop to open a new window etc. and moving with the mouse is nuts because i'll be scrolling a window up/down and it'll switch desktops on me. that being said, i've almost gotten used to switching desktops with the scroll wheel so i'm surviving and enjoying xfce once again. if anyone has any suguestions on this topic though, let me know.

Board footer