You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-23 22:10:03

dif

[SOLVED = Bug report opened]A freak of nature - a bug that's not a bug

I have just tried to create gpg keys

gpg --gen-key

only to see this

pinentry: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
gpg-agent[15791]: can't connect to the PIN entry module: End of file
gpg-agent[15791]: command get_passphrase failed: No pinentry
gpg: problem with the agent: No pinentry
gpg: Key generation canceled.

A quick web search gave these results:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21199
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23018
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28883

I am not looking for a solution. I just want to ask for a definition of a bug as all the above mentioned bugs were closed as... "no bugs".

For those in need, please find the possible solutions
(1) install gtk2
(2) check out http://masenf.com/blog/gnupg-arch-pinentry.html

I wonder why I should install GTK on my headless minumum-install arch server for gnupg to work.

Last edited by dif (2014-02-24 10:59:27)

#2 2014-02-23 22:26:43

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED = Bug report opened]A freak of nature - a bug that's not a bug

Is there a real question in there?  This has the look and feel of either a rant or a troll.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-02-23 22:30:53

ewaller
Administrator

In answer, it is probably because the Arch package uses a popup asking for a pass phrase when needed.  In the console, it does this is a curses popup.  If you do not want the graphics popup, grab the pkgbuild, change it, and turn off the gui, build it, and install it.  You might also look at Gentoo.  I am certain they have a use flag to control this sort of thing.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2014-02-23 22:31:50

Scimmia
Fellow

dif wrote:

I am not looking for a solution. I just want to ask for a definition of a bug as all the above mentioned bugs were closed as... "no bugs".

Something that does not work like the packager intends it to. If you don't like how the packager does it, make your own package. Arch makes that very easy.

#5 2014-02-23 22:55:28

jakobcreutzfeldt

#6 2014-02-23 23:25:48

dif

Thank you for your replies.

First, this is a bug, but I chose to post it here instead of opening a bug report and ending up with a closed report as my (at least) three predecessors.

Second, the wiki does say about gnupg-agent and pinentry, but four screens below it tells users to generate gpg keys. Not only that. It says,

The default uses a gtk dialog. To change it to ncurses or qt, set the following...

In other other words it says, "Optional dependency is the default." So... even wiki says, "this is a big."

Finally, I provided solutions in the original post. Admittedly, a workaround. But wiki's solutions is a workaround just the same.

Now, if you feel it is trollish or ranting just delete this post or move it to "dustbin" or "topics going nowhere". In the end it will end up just as those bug reports.

#7 2014-02-23 23:29:08

Scimmia
Fellow

dif wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

First, this is a bug, but I chose to post it here instead of opening a bug report and ending up with a closed report as my (at least) three predecessors.

Second, the wiki does say about gnupg-agent and pinentry, but four screens below it tells users to generate gpg keys. Not only that. It says,

The default uses a gtk dialog. To change it to ncurses or qt, set the following...

In other other words it says, "Optional dependency is the default." So... even wiki says, "this is a big."

Finally, I provided solutions in the original post. Admittedly, a workaround. But wiki's solutions is a workaround just the same.

Now, if you feel it is trollish or ranting just delete this post or move it to "dustbin" or "topics going nowhere". In the end it will end up just as those bug reports.

There's just no reasoning with some people.

#8 2014-02-24 00:32:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

dif wrote:

A big what?

Anyway... this is a bit of an annoyance of the use of optdepends.   The thing that makes it "OK" in this situation is the default is not to have gpg-agent running.   You launched that (probably via your login manager). 

Saying that....   /usr/bin/pinentry points to the gtk2 version by default.  It really should point to the ncurses version in my not so humble opinion.  That way the dependencies are actually optional.

Lets say someone opened a bug saying "point pinentry to the ncurses version by default" and noted that gtk2 and qt4 are optdepends while ncurses is a dependency and so the default pinentry should point at the ncurses version, I'd support that bug.  The other bugs all just say "missing dependency" which is "wrong" because there are optdepends mentioned on install.

#9 2014-02-24 10:50:22

dif

@Allan
Bug report FS#39025 opened.
The "Big" was a spelling error, you know that. smile
Thank you.

#10 2014-02-24 13:24:19

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Please do not put "CLOSED" in the thread title. That is for threads which are actually closed, which this isn't. Used "SOLVED" instead.

And please link to the bug report you opened so others interested in this can follow along. Thanks.

Edit: I changed the title for you. Next time use "SOLVED" instead of "CLOSED". Thanks.

Last edited by fsckd (2014-02-24 13:29:55)

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer