You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-10 14:51:47

trident25

Blinking cursor on install

Hi Guys,

Im trying to get Arch installed on my Toshiba and am running into an issue. I have dd the iso onto a USB stick and the laptop boots this ok. I am presented with the screen to select either Boot Arch 32, 64, memtest, hardware info.

If i select either the 32 or 64bit options I get:

Loading boot/x86_64/vmlinuz... ok
Loading boot/x86_64/archiso.img... ok

and then just a blank screen with a flashing cursor. The machine does not progress past this point.

I have tried booting the machine off USB and I have tried burning the iso to disk and booting off that but it all results in the same blinking cursor.

I have tried downloading the image multiple times. I have also checked sha1sum of the downloaded image and this is correct so i don't think i have a corrupt image. I can use the CD i have burn successfully on another machine. The issue seems to be specific to my laptop.

If you need any info please let me know, here are my specs.

Toshiba R830 Laptop
i5, 8GB Ram
256GB Samsung SSD.

I have tried going through the BIOS and disabling advanced features such as TPM and Intel AT.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

#2 2014-02-16 18:30:59

Rexilion

Re: Blinking cursor on install

The usual suspects come to mind: noacpi noapic nomodeset irqpoll as kernel commandline.

fs/super.c : "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n",

#3 2014-02-23 13:11:19

danski

Rexilion wrote:

The usual suspects come to mind: noacpi noapic nomodeset irqpoll as kernel commandline.

As a beginner, what does this mean ?

Is there a file we need to edit? Where is it ? what should those files be ?

I found this link
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_parameters

It says to press tab and enter this line
linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda3 initrd=/boot/initramfs-linux.img quiet splash
I guess that's where I could modify the noacpi noapic nomodeset irqpoll values... ? but how can I find my usb boot drive ( I'm sure /dev/sda3 is not the right place ) ? Is this even the right direction to be looking to solve this issue ?

#4 2014-02-23 13:21:14

Rexilion

ACPI is a power management framework for modern computers. You might think it's a good idea to keep it on. But most ACPI implementations appear to deviate from the standard. The kernel implements the standard, but Windows does not. At least, that is what the kernel developers argue. Sometimes disabling ACPI might alleviate some problems. But will almost surely cause problems down the road as some services rely on ACPI.

APIC is some sort of interrupt handling thingy (I have no idea actually). It's known to cause problems.

Nomodeset disables the opensource GPU drivers. These drivers are still in early development (all of them) compared to the rest of the Linux driver stack.

IRQpoll sometimes helps against badly behaving devices causing the kernel to miss interrupt causing issue's.

For almost all of these there is some sort of performance or functionality impact. But we first have to get things booting, right?

As for your question: yes. Append them after the splash keyword (separated by spaces). Remove the quiet line, this should get you a lot more output and might indicate exactly where things hang.

If grub cannot find your kernel or initrd then it will say so. Otherwise your disk looks right. If /dev/sda3 is incorrect you should get an OOPS saying it cannot 'mount root block device' (or something like that).

Your kernel hanging indicates an error during boot. Not a configuration error. Well, unless you did not tell us everything. But I have no reason to assume you missed something.

#5 2014-02-23 22:01:30

danski

Rexilion wrote:

Well, unless you did not tell us everything. But I have no reason to assume you missed something.

You are too kind. I am complete beginner, I've probably missed heaps... I'll try what you've said and post results. It's interesting that I always seem to have issues with this toshiba ultrabook when loading any form of linux. I've used the same boot USB on an old netbook and it boots ( but that one doesn't work for other reasons ). Bloody toshiba.

#6 2014-02-24 06:12:42

danski

No good.
So the line that comes up when I press TAB is actually

.linux boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201402 initrd=boot/x86_64/archiso.img

I've tried adding 'splash noacpi noapic nomodeset irqpoll' to the end of that. I've also tried adding the boot=/dev/sda3 as well as boot=/dev/disk1 and a few other random bits and pieces.
I've also tried replacing the whole lot with the string from the other article, although that didn't seem logical to me. I feel I'm meant to edit the line that comes up when I press TAB right ?

Always just the cursor flashing and nothing else. It is a 64 bit machine.

I'm really sad I can't get this to work :-(

#7 2014-02-24 07:02:36

Rexilion

When I Google your model I see people mentioning other issue's like brightness and no support from Toshiba.

That is both good and bad news.

It could be a 'bad' kernel. I suggest you try to boot Ubuntu 12.04. This is drastic, but will help us further (I hope). Did you try anything else beside Arch? What's currently installed on the system?

#8 2014-02-24 07:51:09

danski

Ubuntu 13.10 is on there now.

Happy to blow it away, this machine has only just been loaded with a fresh ubuntu 13.10 OS.

Edit:

Should I download and install 12.04 ?
What should I do to find the information that might help ?

Cheers :-)

Second Edit:

danski@danski-ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux danski-ubuntu 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Not sure if that helps ? My mate helped me out to get that info for you. Maybe a slightly older ISO ? I'll try find one and test.

Last edited by danski (2014-02-24 09:18:16)

#9 2014-03-15 03:20:53

hydrosIII

Before you do anything, try checking the md5 sum of the iso you downloaded, the whole issue might be a corrupted arch linux live cd. If there is a mismatch in the md5sum you should redownload the .iso.

How do you check the md5sum?, boot into ubuntu and open a terminal, then write

md5sum youarchlivecd.iso 

compare the output from the one in arch linux web page : https://www.archlinux.org/download/
if the md5sum match then you shoud try everything else, if not just redownload the iso and try again.

Also adding

splash noacpi noapic nomodeset irqpoll' 

to the grub commanline is okay, try adding them one by one. but dont add 

boot=/dev/sda3 boot=/dev/disk1 

#10 2014-03-19 16:15:12

harshsahil48

trident25 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Im trying to get Arch installed on my Toshiba and am running into an issue. I have dd the iso onto a USB stick and the laptop boots this ok. I am presented with the screen to select either Boot Arch 32, 64, memtest, hardware info.

and then just a blank screen with a flashing cursor. The machine does not progress past this point.

I have tried booting the machine off USB and I have tried burning the iso to disk and booting off that but it all results in the same blinking cursor.

I have tried downloading the image multiple times. I have also checked sha1sum of the downloaded image and this is correct so i don't think i have a corrupt image. I can use the CD i have burn successfully on another machine. The issue seems to be specific to my laptop.

Toshiba R830 Laptop
i5, 8GB Ram
256GB Samsung SSD.

I have tried going through the BIOS and disabling advanced features such as TPM and Intel AT.

Thanks

Please view and post the systemd's log.

Then, do:

Press alt+ctl+F2

Does a tty2 window open?
If so, then login as root, and execute the command

startx

chances are that it will not start due to some or the other error. If so, then post the error you are getting along with the xorg logs.

Never forget~Never forgive

#11 2014-03-19 18:00:27

Rexilion

harshsahil48 wrote:
trident25 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Toshiba R830 Laptop
i5, 8GB Ram
256GB Samsung SSD.

Thanks

Then, do:

Press alt+ctl+F2

Does a tty2 window open?

startx

chances are that it will not start due to some or the other error. If so, then post the error you are getting along with the xorg logs.

SystemD is probably not even starting let alone an available tty and X.

#12 2014-03-20 15:55:42

harshsahil48

Rexilion wrote:
harshsahil48 wrote:
trident25 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Toshiba R830 Laptop
i5, 8GB Ram
256GB Samsung SSD.

Thanks

Then, do:

Press alt+ctl+F2

Does a tty2 window open?

startx

SystemD is probably not even starting let alone an available tty and X.

An appearing cursor and

means that Systemd is working, and the systemd's logs will probably be the most helpful here.

Although I think the OP has abandoned this thread.

Last edited by harshsahil48 (2014-03-20 15:56:03)

Never forget~Never forgive

#13 2014-04-21 21:51:11

lumeno

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as OP and cannot find any information anywhere!

My system configuration is similar
Toshiba Portege Z835
Core i3 Sandy Bridge
4GB RAM
128 GB SSD.

Can someone tell me how I can check systemd logs?

Thanks

#14 2014-04-21 22:17:10

Proinsias

Have you checked if your bios is up to date?  I had a very similar issue where I could boot the live Arch iso & my Debian install but not a fresh/current Arch install running 3.14 kernel, the iso seems to still be running an older kernel, 3.13, than the install/up_to_date Arch gives you and unsurprisingly Debian, presumably Ubuntu, too.  A bios update on the motherboard via usb flash sorted things for me.

#15 2014-05-27 13:06:14

milocario

Same problem here. Control-Alt-F2 is not workig, I think systemd is not functional. I have the last version of the bios.

Toshiba Portege Z830

#16 2014-05-27 19:47:44

Rexilion

milocario wrote:

Same problem here. Control-Alt-F2 is not workig, I think systemd is not functional. I have the last version of the bios.

Toshiba Portege Z830

I suggest you open a seperate thread as your issue is probably different than the one described here. Especially if a bios upgrade does not fix it.

Board footer