jbernardo

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

@x33a: Thank you!

#277 2014-02-25 21:44:35

artoo
Website

jbernardo wrote:

@Lone_Wolf: Thank you. It seems like apg packages are more up to date, but less complete. Artoo's didn't build for me without several tweaks - sha2sums, conflicts, etc.
I guess I'll have to "roll my own", based probably on apg's packages.

Yeah, I noticed checksums, and will update soon. I have been busy with other stuff unfortunately.

Except the openrc-base package, the other packages grab directly the scripts from gentoo, and do fix them to suit arch linux.
Be aware, the source files will not be altered, the fixing will take place in the pkg folder, so that the user maintains all downloaded unaltered scripts in /src(can be set in /etc/makepkg.conf). However, this screwed up the checksums somehow.

My packages all conflict with apq's, due to different config locations in /etc. You can't mix them, to avoid trouble. But, my openrc-base package uses by default a more powerful and feature rich network implementation. If you have more than one network interface, then netifrc(default in openrc-base) is probably the better choice. Of course you can easily tweak both, my and apq build.

PS: What scripts are outdated? What scripts conflict for you? Have you noticed some?

As far as help, the gentoo help is best place to go for my packages.

eg:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC

or

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h … xml?part=4

Last edited by artoo (2014-02-25 22:02:09)

#278 2014-02-26 10:44:20

jbernardo

artoo wrote:

PS: What scripts are outdated? What scripts conflict for you? Have you noticed some?

For the scripts, I mostly noticed dependency problems (like the dependency on dbus-openrc), and outdated sha256sums. I'll try and go through the whole install again, this time taking more notes.
One thing I recall was that for dhcp the PKGBUILD mentions a non-existing script file var - _Idhcp3.

#279 2014-02-26 11:20:27

artoo
Website

jbernardo wrote:
artoo wrote:

For the scripts, I mostly noticed dependency problems (like the dependency on dbus-openrc), and outdated sha256sums. I'll try and go through the whole install again, this time taking more notes.
One thing I recall was that for dhcp the PKGBUILD mentions a non-existing script file var - _Idhcp3.

Thanks, I will check dhcp abd look into dbus-openrc. You still have systemd installed, right? Or do you use dbus-eudev? Dbus-eudev does not provide the script, it is only dbus compiled against eudev, to make the scripts run without systemd, you would still need dbus-openrc.

As for checksums, and updated scripts, I went through them yesterday, and corrected/updated the builds.

I will likely update the AUR later the day. smile

Last edited by artoo (2014-02-26 11:21:56)

#280 2014-02-26 11:34:39

jbernardo

artoo wrote:

Thanks, I will check dhcp abd look into dbus-openrc. You still have systemd installed, right? Or do you use dbus-eudev? Dbus-eudev does not provide the script, it is only dbus compiled against eudev, to make the scripts run without systemd, you would still need dbus-openrc.

As for checksums, and updated scripts, I went through them yesterday, and corrected/updated the builds.

I will likely update the AUR later the day. :)

I still have systemd, will install eudev only after I have a fully working openrc. I'll try again later today, as soon as I see the updated scripts showing up.
I remembered a build conflict - ntp versus openntpd and  a missing conflict: lm-sensors and lm_sensors-openrc both own /etc/conf.d/sensord

#281 2014-02-26 15:31:48

artoo
Website

jbernardo wrote:
artoo wrote:

I will likely update the AUR later the day. smile

I still have systemd, will install eudev only after I have a fully working openrc. I'll try again later today, as soon as I see the updated scripts showing up.
I remembered a build conflict - ntp versus openntpd and  a missing conflict: lm-sensors and lm_sensors-openrc both own /etc/conf.d/sensord

I will check the time daemons again, and look into sensors. Thx for reporting.

I was thinking about a script, which checks gentoo for updated scripts to make life easy.

Edit: I can't find conflicts with time daemons, but the dbus problem occurs, if you don't have dbus-openrc from openrc-sys-split installed, I don't know if I should make a dependency for a split pkg in AUR.

The split sys pkg should be first to install, it also contains device-mapper, required by other packages.

The pkgbuild/packages work much better if you simply put the package in a local repo. You can do more pacman magic with them if in repo, such as groups.

Last edited by artoo (2014-02-26 21:43:06)

#282 2014-02-28 10:08:57

jbernardo

Hi,
I've built your new packages today from aur. Will probably follow your suggestion of adding them to a local repo later.
Here are the issues I found:
- openrc-misc-split depends on fcron, which conflicts with cronie (dependency of  openrc-sys-split) and cronie-openrc
- openrc-misc-split depends on openntpd, which conflicts with ntp (dependency of openrc-net-split) and ntp-openrc
- openrc-misc-split installs a ntpd script, but the instructions are to "rc-update add openntpd default"
- openrc-net-split depends on ntp, which conflicts with openntpd (dependency of openrc-misc-split) and with openntpd-openrc
- openrc-sys-split depends on cronie, which conflicts with fcron (dependency of openrc-misc-split) and fcron-openrc
- openrc-sys-split installs scripts lvm, lvm-monitoring and lvmetad, but instructs to "rc-update add lvm2 default"

Seems like most stuff is now fixed, so in a couple of days I'll probably install eudev and remove systemd.

#283 2014-02-28 10:23:22

progandy

jbernardo wrote:

Hi,
I've built your new packages today from aur. Will probably follow your suggestion of adding them to a local repo later.

Why have the openrc-*-split PKGBUILDs makedepends at all? They only patch textfiles and package them. Only makepkg, coreutils and sed are makedepends.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#284 2014-02-28 15:52:35

artoo
Website

progandy wrote:
jbernardo wrote:

Hi,

Why have the openrc-*-split PKGBUILDs makedepends at all? They only patch textfiles and package them. Only makepkg, coreutils and sed are makedepends.

Right, but I try to comply with namcap.
And namcap demands these makedepends.

Will I go against namcap advise? Not sure.

Last edited by artoo (2014-02-28 15:56:10)

#285 2014-02-28 15:55:19

artoo
Website

jbernardo wrote:

Hi,
- openrc-misc-split depends on fcron, which conflicts with cronie (dependency of  openrc-sys-split) and cronie-openrc
- openrc-misc-split depends on openntpd, which conflicts with ntp (dependency of openrc-net-split) and ntp-openrc
- openrc-misc-split installs a ntpd script, but the instructions are to "rc-update add openntpd default"
- openrc-net-split depends on ntp, which conflicts with openntpd (dependency of openrc-misc-split) and with openntpd-openrc
- openrc-sys-split depends on cronie, which conflicts with fcron (dependency of openrc-misc-split) and fcron-openrc
- openrc-sys-split installs scripts lvm, lvm-monitoring and lvmetad, but instructs to "rc-update add lvm2 default"

Seems like most stuff is now fixed, so in a couple of days I'll probably install eudev and remove systemd.

Thanks.

Bear with me, the .install stuff is on the todo list asap.

Edit: The conflicts are right as they are, except I overlooked something.

openntpd conflicts with ntp, fcron conflicts with cronie, so do the openrc pkgs.

yaourt should ask the user to uninstall the conflicting package before proceeding.

Last edited by artoo (2014-02-28 16:39:38)

#286 2014-02-28 17:47:38

x33a
Forum Fellow

artoo wrote:

yaourt should ask the user to uninstall the conflicting package before proceeding.

You shouldn't rely on yaourt to do anything. Always plan with makepkg in mind wink

#287 2014-02-28 18:36:00

artoo
Website

x33a wrote:
artoo wrote:

You shouldn't rely on yaourt to do anything. Always plan with makepkg in mind wink

I don't. I was addressing the poster's issue with conflicts in AUR. smile

I just ran a test on a new set up arch system in vbox. everything works on user end.

Makepkg does work, surely.

Btw, what's you view on the makedeps vs namcap?

#288 2014-02-28 18:39:46

x33a
Forum Fellow

artoo wrote:

I am not too sure. From a puritan point of view, heeding to namcap's advice seems sane though.

#289 2014-02-28 18:43:08

artoo
Website

x33a wrote:
artoo wrote:

I am not too sure. From a puritan point of view, heeding to namcap's advice seems sane though.

Yeah, maybe someone involved with AUR or packaging standards could help.
Progandy raised a good point I forgot about.

Atm, the AUR doesn't do sanity checks, does it?

#290 2014-02-28 18:46:13

x33a
Forum Fellow

No, I don't think the AUR checks for any such stuff.

#291 2014-02-28 19:07:48

Lone_Wolf

archwiki AUR page wrote:

Warning: Packages in the AUR assume the base-devel group is installed, and AUR packages will not list members of this group as dependencies even if the package cannot be built without them. Please ensure this group is installed before complaining about failed builds.

example : sed is in base-devel group, so it's not needed to include it in depends/makedepends .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#292 2014-02-28 21:19:20

artoo
Website

What is the opinion on lvm & raid support, in terms of scripts?

On a normal arch kernel system, these things get activated by initramfs/hooks.

Are these needed? Any use cases on arch?

I personally don't make use of the lvm scripts to get my lvm activated.

Last edited by artoo (2014-02-28 21:26:16)

#293 2014-03-02 10:12:59

F34R

Hi all

I will plan to replace the systemd to openrc , some weeks ago tried but  cannot set the eudev correctly.
What packages need from AUR and how to remove systemd (with udev) formely unnecessary for me?

#294 2014-03-02 13:03:53

artoo
Website

F34R wrote:

Hi all

I will plan to replace the systemd to openrc , some weeks ago tried but  cannot set the eudev correctly.
What packages need from AUR and how to remove systemd (with udev) formely unnecessary for me?

There are two packages, eudev and eudev-git.
If you prefer a development version, use eudev-git, if you want a more stable version, use eudev.

Its pretty straight forward.
Install eudev, which removes systemd, and install {dbus,upower,udisks2}-eudev, to get the services started.
You can additionally install eudev-openrc, which provides a postmount script for eudev.

#295 2014-03-02 14:56:32

F34R

If you prefer a development version, use eudev-git, if you want a more stable version, use eudev.

Install eudev, which removes systemd, and install {dbus,upower,udisks2}-eudev, to get the services started.
You can additionally install eudev-openrc, which provides a postmount script for eudev.

what about mkinitcpio.conf  or rc.conf  settings ?

#296 2014-03-02 15:25:41

artoo
Website

F34R wrote:

what about mkinitcpio.conf  or rc.conf  settings ?

As far as I know, you need nothing to change on that front. smile

But, it depends a bit on your setup. If you use lvm, you might have to revert to a non lvmetad activation, but that is not a eudev issue, rather than mkinitcpio hook issue. Its on my to do test list, since lvmetad did not work with my old crashed harddrive, but it does with the new one.

Last edited by artoo (2014-03-02 15:26:25)

#297 2014-04-08 08:00:48

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Have installed openrc, eudev and dbus-nosystemd from aur (and arch-services). Dbus is not starting from what I can tell so connman is complaining. Can see script for dbus but not sure how you get it started (or check if it is running) am assuming I need to  rc-update?

Mr Green

#298 2014-04-08 15:13:24

x33a
Forum Fellow

Yeah dbus needs to be in the default runlevel. Is it present there?

#299 2014-04-08 15:34:09

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Now that I have added it does seem to be working now. Did change a line in init.d so /run/dbus gets created. Networking is next on my list. Connman seems hit and miss at the moment, for a wired dhcp connection looking for a simple solution.

Thanks for the heads up..

Mr Green

#300 2014-04-08 19:25:03

The Black Fox

Hello,

I have been working with Mr. Green over at ArchBang! and because much of the work we are doing applies to Arch as well I have joined the forums. I just added an article on eudev to the Arch Wiki, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Eudev

And I plan to help flesh out other articles soon on there so my fellow Arch/Archbang users who, like myself, are interested in alternatives have decent documentation to follow. I encourage others to follow suit if you have something to share.

To answer Mr. Green's question I just added dhcpcd to the default runlevel like so,

# rc-update add dhcpcd default 

That works to start dhcp, so that works. netcfg is what I use for network management on my laptop, though.

Board footer