You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-02 13:32:41

trifud

VMware tools installation fails

Hi,
I decided to try out Arch Linux in VMware Player before installing it on my system. The installation so far has gone well but I can't succeed in installing the VMware tools services. During installation I get several errors and warnings. These are the errors:

depmod: ERROR: Module 'hci_vhci' has devname (vhci) but lacks major and minor information. Igonring.

The above error seems not to be critical. But then I get another error when stopping Thinprint and VMware tools though all activities complete successfully:

sh: : command not found
sh: : command not found

Then I get the following errors at the end of the installation:

depmod: ERROR: Module 'hci_vhci' has devname (vhci) but lacks major and minor information. Igonring.

Warning: This script could not find mkinitrd or update-initramfs and cannot remake the initrd file!

VM communication interface socket family:[ 2530.549324] vmci: exports duplicate symbol vmci_context_get_priv_flags (owned by vmw_vmci)

Guest operating system daemon:
Unable to start services for VMware Tools

Execution aborted.

I have Linux kernel 3.13.5-1-ARCH (x64) on VMware Player 6.0.1 build-1379776 running atop Debian 7 with kernel 3.12.0.bpo.1-amd64. I have also the latest version of VMware tools.

#2 2014-03-02 16:40:02

ewaller
Administrator

Re: VMware tools installation fails

Welcome to Arch Linux.  How are you installing wmware tools?
As to sh not being found:

ewaller$@$odin ~ 1001 %which sh
/usr/bin/sh
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1002 %ll $(which sh)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Feb 28 18:50 /usr/bin/sh -> bash
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1003 %

On Arch, it is a soft link to bash.  Bash lives in /usr/bin

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-03-02 17:44:40

trifud

I have this symlink but the error message persists. I copied the VMware Tools archive file from the CD to /root, unpacked it and I run

./vmware-install.pl

#4 2014-03-02 18:07:23

ewaller
Administrator

Yeah.  We try to discourage that; the point of a package management system is to manage those files in the file system that are outside of the areas that belong to users.  I would strongly suggest that you install the wmware tools using the AUR.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vmware-tools/

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2014-03-02 18:49:03

trifud

I uninstalled the VMware Tools that I had before. Then I installed wget and ran:

wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vm/vmware-tools/vmware-tools.tar.gz
tar -xvzf vmware-tools.tar.gz
cd vmware-tools
makepkg -s --asroot
pacman -U vmware-tools.pkg.tar.xz
exit
umount /mnt
reboot

No errors were reported but unfortunately it doesn't work. If I run ifconfig, I can only see the loopback interface. VMware Player doesn't detect any version of VMware Tools installed.

Last edited by trifud (2014-03-02 18:50:05)

#6 2014-04-10 03:28:59

cchuang0425

Hi,

I tried these steps and got same problem.

But I found something in /opt/vmware

It's the VMWare Tools ISO files!

So, type:

mount -t iso9660 linux.iso

And install it follow this instruction:

Install Official VMWare Tools

Board footer