You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-07 14:03:24

whol

pacman wont update itself, until the system update fails

(I'm a newby!)

On a fresh install, I tried to immediately upgrade pacman itself, but it said it was already up to date.  I used the command:

pacman -S pacman

So then I did a system update, that eventually failed with a "coreutils" error.  The command I tried was:

pacman -Syu

So then I tried to update pacman itself (again), and it worked!

pacman -S pacman

Then I tried to update the system (again), and it worked!

pacman -Syu

Is there way to get it to *successfully* update pacman the first time, and then successfully update the system?  Having them both fail, and then both work seems odd.

(this is all going in to my vmware-guest How-To)

thx!

#2 2004-02-07 15:09:14

sarah31
Website

Re: pacman wont update itself, until the system update fails

pacman -Sy pacman
pacman -Syu

that should do it. but of course you will get xfree errors if you have the version from the disc.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-02-07 18:20:26

whol

That worked perfectly!

thx Sarah!

#4 2004-02-07 18:33:15

whol

I noticed an error message during the boot process that flashes by right before the login prompt is displayed.  I think it says "/rc.d/init.d script missing", or something like that.

The message began appearing after I did the "pacman -Syu".  I cannot see it when I try "dmesg | less".  I looked in "/etc/rc.d" and see only a few directories.

I do see a "/etc/inetd.conf.pacsave" file, but I do not see a "/etc/inetd.conf".

When I shutdown, I see a message "/etc/rc.d/inetd: no such file or directory".  Other than these messages flashing by, the system seems to work fine (granted I've only run ping and pacman so far).

Are these errors important?  I've gottem them before on earlier installs, but I ignored them.  Since I'm writing a "How To", I thought I better find out what they are.

thx!

#5 2004-02-07 18:37:06

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

In rc.conf, in your DAEMONS variable, you'll see inetd.  This was from days of yor, when we used to use inetd as our internet daemon.  Now we use xinetd.

Make sure that you don't have any rc.conf.pacnew/pacsave in /etc.  If you do then some of the newest changes to rc.conf might not be in your local version, which is bad.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2004-02-07 20:29:11

whol

I do not have a rc.conf.pacsave.

I *do* have a rc.conf and a rc.conf.pacnew.

The rc.conf.pacnew does not have the inetd daemon, should I use the rc.conf.pacnew (after updating the various fields with my config data)?

There are several *.pacnew files, should I try to use them?  I can rename my current files to *.org, then rename the *pacnews to the normal filenames - and finally tweak the 'new' files to have my config data in them?  I'm currently not using any of the *pacnews.

thx!

#7 2004-02-07 22:12:13

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

That's what you should do with pacnew's.  Integrate their changes into the current conf files (or vice versa).  Read the pacman manpage about when each type of file is created.

That specific error is what I mentioned before.  We don't use inetd anymore.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-02-07 23:17:58

whol

The fstab.pacnew has some new entries in it, so I should copy them my fstab?  I'm not sure what they are.

One is type "devpts" and the other is "usbdevfs".

Plus, my current type "tmpfs" has the parameters "size=2G,nr_inodes=10k" and the new one just has "defaults".

Maybe I should just copy my 3 main entries (/, boot, and swap) in fstab to fstab.pacnew and use the new one?

#9 2004-02-08 00:20:54

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You want devpts and usbdevfs.  Not sure which options you want for tmpfs, that's your call.

- Blaise Pascal

#10 2004-02-08 08:47:13

sarah31
Website

personally 2gb for tmp is waaaaaaay too much. i suggest changing it to defaults and that will allocate roughly about the same amount of memory for tmp as ther is ram.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#11 2004-02-08 16:52:58

whol

Thanks xentac & sarah.  I'm now using the newer fstab.  The only blip was a message during the startup that says "mount: fs type devpts not supported by kernel". 

I searched our old messages, and see I that I can ignore that warning (and I can take it out if I remember to put it back in for 2.6).

thx!

Board footer