You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-29 06:39:21

desertViking

Connecting to local hosts via SAMBA

Hi,

I appollogize in advance if this is an obvious question, it's late and I've been trying to figure this out for a bit.  Maybe someone here could help.

I am currently upgraded to testing.  I have smb.conf files on all three workstations in my local area network.  They are all connected via a wireless router.  The subnet is 192.168.0.*   

All workstations have good access to the internet.  There is no gateway, and IP addresses are assigned by DHCP.

In recent past, using 0.7.1 current, I think, I could easily smbclient -L worstation, and scan shares. 

After upgrading, I can no longer view other workstations, or mount smb shares.

I'm wondering if perhaps iptables might have been updated with firewall settings, or if there's some other explanation.  I can smbclient to the local workstation OK, but that's not very interest  wink

Can anyone offer some advice?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2006-01-29 15:39:53

desertViking

Re: Connecting to local hosts via SAMBA

Light of day, more questions!

Two things I've discovered.  First, if I run SMB4K I cannot see the workgroup to which I've connected all the workstations.

Second, each workstation *can* see the windows server, but they cannot see each other.

Is this making any sense?

I've checked, none of the PCs are asserting master in the smb.conf file.  All have unique workstation names.  Some have a host entry that I made up in the host file.  Otherwise gnome complains.

Could this be a problem?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#3 2006-01-29 18:39:24

desertViking

Re: Connecting to local hosts via SAMBA

Hi Archers.

I cross posted this question to linuxquestions.org.  I included more information there that might be of some use.  I hope this isn't poor form, but it seemed a waste to enter the information twice.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … p?t=409295

The wiki that I refer to in the linked post the Arch wiki for browsing local area network shares:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sea … ork_shares

I've turned off each of the computers, and tried bringing them up one by one, but this does not change the scenario.

It all *looks* good, but I'm just stuck at the moment.  This was working until I started upgrading the systems about a week or two ago.  I'm just getting around to looking at it now.

Thanks in advance!

Board footer