You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-12 10:02:55

ichi-no-eda

[solved] Dolphin slow startup - D-Bus call fail

Hi there.

After the latest KDE-upate Dolphin wouldn't start at all at first try. On second attempt it started after a minute or so but gave the following warning:

"Could not start process. Cannot talk to klauncher: Message did not receive a reply (timout by message bus)."

Since then no warning any more but delay is still there and terminal reads:

"/usr/bin/dolphin(25687)" Soprano: "Could not connect to server at /tmp/ksocket-daniel/nepomuk-socket (No such file or directory)"
dolphin(25687) KXMLGUI::ActionList::plug: Index  19  is not within range (0 -  11 
dolphin(25687)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

Nepomuk does not seem to be the problem but it hangs after:

dolphin(25687) KXMLGUI::ActionList::plug: Index  19  is not within range (0 -  11 

I don't use a full KDE desktop but rather openbox. Might be something is missing?
Recently I migrated to systemd and it could be its the first time I started Dolphin after the transition (mostly I use Thunar).

Any suggestions?

Last edited by ichi-no-eda (2012-10-12 12:51:28)

#2 2012-10-12 10:48:25

DSpider

Re: [solved] Dolphin slow startup - D-Bus call fail

How big is your root partition? Is it located at the end of the drive?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-10-12 11:07:44

ichi-no-eda

My root partition is 25 GB and at the beginning of the drive (well the third partition after /boot 525MB and swap 8,5 GB)). Altogether the drive has one TB.

Why do you want to know?

#4 2012-10-12 11:21:00

DSpider

Because if you have a big root partition (which you kinda do, since it's over 10 GB, 15 GB tops), the HDD's read head could travel too much back and forth between the system's files. Having your root partition at the end of the drive can also impact performance, since the platters spin slower toward the centre. It's basic mechanics. (Not to be confused with how CD/DVD's are written)

See the fstab wiki page about adding the "noatime" option. Maybe that will help. I use Openbox, too, and I noticed that Dolphin starts slowly only the first time when the system starts (a few seconds, not "after a minute or so" like you put it). It's probably for the KDE libraries to load. After that, it starts much, much quicker.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-10-12 11:25:08)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-10-12 11:39:23

ichi-no-eda

It takes Dolphin 55 seconds to start to be exact:-) and it always takes this time no matter how often I have started it before.

Also I don't have any performance issues with other applications nor did Dolphin take this amount of time to start until recently.

"noatime" is not an option for me as I prefer data security over performance. I'll try to clean up my root partition though.

Thanks for your suggestions.

#6 2012-10-12 12:20:47

ichi-no-eda

With

dbus-launch --exit-with-session dolphin

startup is much faster.

#7 2012-10-12 12:41:37

ichi-no-eda

Kaffeine too has problems.

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kaffeine(2798): Communication problem with  "kaffeine" , it probably crashed. 
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" " 

This works for kaffeine as well:

dbus-launch --exit-with-session dolphin

So at least I know it is a d-bus problem.

Last edited by ichi-no-eda (2012-10-12 12:42:29)

#8 2012-10-12 12:53:12

DSpider

How are you starting your X session? Post your ~/.xinitrc.

"atime" doesn't have anything to do with security. Read the fstab wiki page.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fs … me_options

#9 2012-10-12 12:53:25

ichi-no-eda

Seems to have been only a system hiccup. After a reboot it works again.

#10 2012-10-12 12:59:22

ichi-no-eda

@DSpider:
Thanks for your helpful hand. And yes you are right "atime" has nothing to do with security. Thanks again for the hint.

#11 2013-08-01 20:52:29

GentooMonk

Just something to share about this, for me the problem was with the upower service, since I don't use it I just used systemctl mask upower to disable it.

#12 2014-03-07 19:42:14

Doctor Drive
Website

GentooMonk wrote:

Just something to share about this, for me the problem was with the upower service, since I don't use it I just used systemctl mask upower to disable it.

I had absolutely the same problem. Disabling upower worked for me as well. There is definitely a bug out there.

Edit: sorry for necro post. I had another tab opened with more fresh date and forgot to look here.

Fired a report
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=331857

Last edited by Doctor Drive (2014-03-07 20:07:59)

Board footer