You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-30 02:18:30

_Mike_

Program to easily mount partitions

I am using Xfce, I am searching for an application that would let me mount partition easily without typing.
Something like when you start knoppix and you have all the icons of every partition on desktop. You only have to click to mount.

I don't want to edit fstab. Also I have many drives and change them frequently so using fstab file is a no way.

TIA

#2 2006-01-30 15:17:33

mac57
Website

Re: Program to easily mount partitions

Rox desktop will do this for you. That is one of the key things I use it for. I keep icons on  my desktop for all my major disks and removable drives and so on. A single click on the drive icon will run the standard mount command, leveraging the information you must have previously entered into fstab. I have never found a way to make it execute customized mount commands, although there may be a way to do this - if anyone reading this knows, please add to this thread.

To try out rox, just download package "rox" from the Arch archives (pacman --sync rox) and try it out per:

rox --pinboard=default

This will give you an initially pretty bleak looking grey desktop with one folder on it called "home". If you right click that icon and select the Backdrop item, you can post a picture or pattern of your choosing to the desktop background. Looking better already, no?

Now for those disk icons you were looking for... Using that one single folder called Home, navigate over to your /mount directory. Drag and drop icons from there onto your desktop. Now you have icons for your drives of interest on the desktop. You can change the actual icon image easily via the "set icon" selection after you right click the icon. Here you will also see a mount command, although you won't need it.

Now, simply single click the desktop drive icon and voila! your drive is mounted. Unmounting takes two clicks - right click the icon and select the "unmount" option.

Rox remembers everything you have done (background image, icons, etc.) and will redraw your desktop just as you left it next time you start Rox. You can easily embed it into a startup mechanism to have it start automatically. If you are using XFCE4, the easiest way is to create a directory called ~/Desktop/Autostart, and in there, put a one line shell script that does the "rox --pinboard=default" command. By the way, you don't have to use the name "default". You can call your default desktop anything. Rox allows you to have multiple different desktops if you want. Being AR, I have named mine "xfce4-rox-desktop". Call yours whatever name appeals to you. I used "default" as a simple example.

Rox is enormously capable while being light and fast. You will be amazed if you spend some time with it, read the documentation on their web site and play around. Rox is great. I use the combo of XFCE4+Rox as a fully functional replacement for heavier window-manager/desktop combos like KDE or Gnome. No flames against either of those - I just wanted "faster and lighter".

Good look, and if you have further questions, don't hesitate to post.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#3 2006-01-30 15:21:20

mac57
Website

BTW, even lighter still, if you are not looking for a new desktop - try out tuxcmd, a lightweight dual pane file manager in the same vein as Krusader, but much, much lighter and faster. Get the latest development stream, not the latest stable stream, and try it out. It is distributed as a binary, so no build issues, no install issues - just get, unpack and run.

The latest development stream of Tuxcmd has a button bar across the top, with an icon for each device in fstab. Click the button and it mounts the device. Nice, and simple too.

#4 2006-01-30 15:22:13

mac57
Website

Dahhhh - forgot to tell you where to get tuxcmd. Go to tuxcmd.sourceforge.net

#5 2006-01-30 16:24:02

pressh
Developer/TU

mac57 wrote:

Dahhhh - forgot to tell you where to get tuxcmd. Go to tuxcmd.sourceforge.net

enabling [community] in /etc/pacman.conf and issueing

pacman -Sy tuxcmd

will do it wink

#6 2006-01-31 02:51:45

mac57
Website

But do you get the latest "unstable" version? Only this version (0.5.70) seems to have the button bar for mounting devices.

#7 2006-01-31 13:18:56

Jefg60

gkrellm will mount / unmount partitions with custom mount commands, or use entries in fstab. it puts a little "eject button" by the krell showing usage, click to mount, click again to unmount. I dont know if you use it already or what, but it is pretty configurable, you MIGHT even be able to get it just displaying the buttons and nothing else, but I havent looked into it that far.

Board footer