You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-28 17:47:04

ozar

CUPS: intermittent hangups at boot & shutdown

Anyone else having any issues running CUPS?

This all started sometime after the 2.6.15 kernels went into the repo, but I'm not sure it's releated to that.  I've never had this issue before, but now about half the time, CUPS is failing to start at system boot and I get this error in the boot messages:

/etc/rc.d/cups line 7  1269 hangup

The next time I boot, CUPS might start, or it may not.

My system is fully updated, and I've tried installing dbus and portmap and neither of those help with the problem, either.  CUPS, and then ALSA are the last two entries in my /etc/rc.conf DAEMONS section.

I've tried a fresh install, too, but the errors persist on an intermittent basis.

Now and then, I'm getting a few other "hangup" errors at shutdown with various processes, too.  I've not been able to determine just yet what all of them are, as they go by too fast to read them and I've not been able to find any of the errors in any logs.

Any ideas as to what's up with CUPS and the other hangups all of a sudden?

Thanks for any help!  smile

oz

#2 2006-01-29 17:05:09

ozar

Re: CUPS: intermittent hangups at boot & shutdown

I'm bumping this, because I've edited the original title and the problems, as I've now found some hangups at shutdown, now too.  Anyone know what's going on?

Oh, I've not tried the kernel that went into the repo just this morning, so once I try it, I'll report back if it fixes anything.

Thanks for any thoughts on what the problem could be.    smile

oz

#3 2006-01-29 18:40:21

colnago

For moral suppoprt, I have seen this on my partners Ccux install.  She was connecting to a cups server on a different computer.  Sometimes it would take tens of minutes.  She does't use Ccux anymore so I never looked into it.

#4 2006-01-29 19:19:38

ozar

Thanks for the reply, colnago.  smile

I've just upgraded to the new 2.6.15.1-3 kernel and the lastest pcutils and so far, no more problems.  I'll report back if they start acting up again.  Since they have been intermittent issues, I'm not totally sure it's fixed just yet.

oz

#5 2006-01-30 04:50:35

ozar

Nope, it's still not fixed.  Don't know what it is, but something has been wrong with Arch for the last few weeks.  I've never had so many different issues so close together.  Fresh installs don't help, either.  I think it's something to do with the newer kernels and udev, but not sure.  No problems at all with the 2.6.14 kernels.

oz

#6 2006-01-30 06:00:06

ozar

Tried running CUPS backgrounded along with ALSA, but no good, same problem.

Moved CUPS toward the front of the DAEMONS list right behind syslog-ng and it seems to be working okay now.  Have booted about half a dozen times and it's started every time.

oz

#7 2006-01-30 10:56:03

scarecrow

No problems here, cups is the very last daemon rc.conf loads.

Microshaft delenda est

#8 2006-01-30 15:22:30

ozar

scarecrow wrote:

No problems here, cups is the very last daemon rc.conf loads.

Hey, thanks for the reply, scarecrow.  smile

Yeah, I was keeping it toward the end too, right next to ALSA, but now for whatever reason, it's not wanting to start from there anymore.  I suspect there's a conflict between it and some other daemon or process.  Moving it toward the front is still working, at least so far.

Some weird stuff going on...  wink

oz

Board footer