You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-30 20:14:54

Gullible Jones

Web browsers always use aliased fonts if possible

This is screwy, folks. I needed to install xorg-fonts-100dpi and xorg-fonts-75dpi in order to get KWord working properly, and now Konqueror is *always* using 75dpi fonts for *everything* on *all* web pages, even though my font configuration (the default!) looks like this:

Standard font: Bitstream Vera Sans
Fixed font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
Serif font: Bitstream Vera Serif
Sans serif font: Bitstream Vera Sans
Cursive tont: Bitstream Vera Sans
Fantasy font: Bitstream Vera Sans

Now, whatever bloody fonts Konqueror is using now, they look aliased and generally hideous and sure as hell are not Bitstream fonts! :x Could someone please help me sort this out?

Edit: here's a screenshot...

[URL=http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot27jd.png]snapshot27jd.th.png[/URL]

Ugly or what?

#2 2006-01-30 21:04:29

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Web browsers always use aliased fonts if possible

Have you check the control center? There's a place where you can set the default fonts used by kde.  I'm guessing that the ugly fonts used by konqueror are being set there.

#3 2006-01-30 21:45:45

Gullible Jones

Yes, I have, the Konqueror config panel is part of the control center. The default fonts used for widgets and terminals (Snap for the former, Monospace for the latter) have nothing at all to do with the fonts used for web pages. I can show you the part of the control panel you're talking about:

[URL=http://img496.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot38of.png]snapshot38of.th.png[/URL]

And the fonts for widgets and terminals (note that Monospace is AA):

[URL=http://img496.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot47ka.png]snapshot47ka.th.png[/URL]

#4 2006-01-31 02:50:27

Snarkout

That looks like what I see on a fresh arch install if I haven't installed the webcore fonts.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#5 2006-01-31 06:40:24

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I dont think this is a bug at all......

From what it looks like... Konqueror is doing the correct thing.

font,th,td,p { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif }

Those are the fonts specified to be used throughout the CSS of the site.

Load this up and see what you get. (yes its a hideous non standard mix of xhtml and html4 as well as using dirty <font> tags instead of css. shoot me.)

<html>
    <body>
        <font face="Verdana">Verdana. Is this aliased?</font><br />
        <font face="Helvetica">Helvetica. Is this aliased?</font><br />
        <font face="Arial">Arial. This is always aliased.</font><br />
    </body>
</html>

My system doesnt seem to have Verdana and Arial, so I get a generic sans font for them. But it does have helvetica.

Konqueror is correctly noting that the system doesnt have verdana, and falling back to arial, which I also don't seem to have, and finally falling back to Helvetica, which by nature is an aliased font.

Your specified sans-serif font is only used when all three of the web page's specified fonts are unavailable.

So no bug on konqeror's behalf. It's behaving correctly. Maybe its that the primary listed fonts are incorrectly installed, not installed, or for some unforseen reason, unusable by kde.

AFAIK, Arial and Verdana are MS fonts, so installing webcore (ttf-ms-fonts) and restarting KDE/X ought to fix this problem.

iphitus

edit: and as expected, installing ttf-ms-fonts fixed it. you might need to wait a while for kde to pick em up though, or restart kde.

#6 2006-01-31 12:00:42

Gullible Jones

Thanks man, that looks much better.

#7 2006-01-31 21:00:00

Gullible Jones

Okay, sorry to bother you folks again but I got a problem... Hinting doesn't seem to be working with these fonts, at all. No matter what hinting level I set, I get crap with certain letters like in the screenshot below...

snapshot58mz.th.png

The ugliness persists even when I completely disable antialiasing. sad

#8 2006-02-01 00:31:40

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Remember, that under KDE you must restart an application to use the new font settings.

And as for tht screenshot.. It looks awesome. Better than the aliased crap on this windows box im on at school here.

iphitus

#9 2006-02-06 21:22:03

Gullible Jones

It looks better than the ones at my school too, but those bloody 'k's are awful! And there are blank spaces in '2's and some other characters as well... What the heck is that about? :?

Board footer