You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-16 14:52:06

undeadpenguin
Website

Setting up CUPS [wiki]

I'm trying to set up CUPS by going to localhost:631 (localhost is my hostname), but every time I try I get forwarded to [URL=http://www.netbreakthroughs.com/]this[/URL] website. Am I doing something wrong? CUPS is installed.

#2 2003-11-16 15:04:32

deepfreeze

Re: Setting up CUPS [wiki]

if localhost:631 does not work, then try http://127.0.0.1:631 and that should work.  I know that sometimes localhost does not work for me either but actually putting in the IP always does.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#3 2003-11-16 15:10:06

kakabaratruskia

I had the same problem, and it's because you must have the CUPS daemon running.
Try
#/etc/rc.d/cups start
or add 'cups' to the daemons part in your /etc/rc.conf (this way you'll have started at bootup, but you'll also need to do /etc/rc.d/cups, or restart you're pc to get it to work.)

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#4 2003-11-16 15:55:16

tsykoduk
Website

One other caviat that I found - to enable remote printing you have to play with the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf a bit. I probally did not do it 'the correct way' but I am behind a firewall, so I am not as worried about folks printing to my printers wink

Here are the changes that I made:

Under the first Location - I added my subnet

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From  10.*
</Location>

I did the same for the admin portion (I am very lazy, and want to be able to admin the printers from anywhere on my LAN).

Hope this helps a bit as well

#5 2003-11-16 22:37:55

undeadpenguin
Website

Thank you!

#6 2004-01-16 09:14:33

Moo-Crumpus

I need a hint: my printer (epson epl 3000 with printserver attached) won't print with cups. Jobs will be send, but I see no traffice at the routers or switches. The printer does nothing.
As the hardware is rather old, I am not sure what to examine first.

I just fetched cups and apache with pacman, made cupsd and httpd run, and configured cups using http://localhost:631, like I usually did in debian. The printer will not respond, whether I send testsites from cups or print documents out of gedit or something else. The printer's name reads "lp", as mozilla, opera and some exotic apps insist to send printing jobs to lp.

All I need to know is: does arch need some more action to have cups running? Then please, if someone could give me a sign.

If I did all that is supposed to be done, gimme a sign, and I know it may be the hardware.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2004-01-16 10:16:13

andy

OK, to answer your first question : cups works for me ... :-) ...

Do you have ghostscript and gimp-print installed ? AFAIR they are dependent on each other but some dependencies are not spelled out because it would result in circular dependencies. This is a known problem.

Other than that : check the log files. Check on the command line via lpstat and friends. When I set up my printer (no network, though), I followed the manual which can also be found from http://localhost:631

#8 2004-01-16 12:11:17

dp
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

I need a hint: my printer (epson epl 3000 with printserver attached) won't print with cups. Jobs will be send, but I see no traffice at the routers or switches. The printer does nothing.
As the hardware is rather old, I am not sure what to examine first.

I just fetched cups and apache with pacman, made cupsd and httpd run, and configured cups using http://localhost:631, like I usually did in debian. The printer will not respond, whether I send testsites from cups or print documents out of gedit or something else. The printer's name reads "lp", as mozilla, opera and some exotic apps insist to send printing jobs to lp.

All I need to know is: does arch need some more action to have cups running? Then please, if someone could give me a sign.

If I did all that is supposed to be done, gimme a sign, and I know it may be the hardware.

this should work, but make sure you have installed

ghostscript

and

gimp-print

... when i last time installed on a base-0.5-arch just cups, it didnt installed ghostscript for some reason --- this will lead to some drivers to run cups ok, but actually do not print anything :-(

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#9 2004-01-16 15:16:38

Moo-Crumpus

Thank you a lot. I already had gimp-print, but not ghostscript. I will give it a try.

Frumpus addict

#10 2004-01-16 17:10:54

Moo-Crumpus

It was missing ghostscript. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature. Should ghostscript be a cups dependency or not? For my taste, of course!

Frumpus addict

#11 2004-01-16 19:00:47

dp
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

It was missing ghostscript. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature. Should ghostscript be a cups dependency or not? For my taste, of course!

ghostscript+cups+gimp-print ... see also here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … hostscript

did it solved your printing problem installing ghostscript?

#12 2004-01-16 19:04:49

scottro
Website

I note that FreeBSD recently made ghostscript a dependency of cups (as does Gentoo).  It's probably not a bad idea, though, if you don't have ghostscript, the error log usually mentions, "Do you have ghostscript installed?" or something similar.

BTW
<spam>
I have a page with some common cups problems and solutions

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/cups.html

</spam>

Scott

#13 2004-01-17 01:46:40

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

cups, ghostscript, and gimp-print depends have a love-hate relationship... they're being looked at right now.  Just adding ghostscript as a depends to cups will make a circular dependency.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#14 2004-01-17 02:08:37

scottro
Website

I remember Gentoo having that same problem--the solution was on my page mentioned above.  Maybe a pkg-message saying please emerge ghostscript as soon as you emerge cups?

#15 2004-01-17 05:52:29

Moo-Crumpus

dp wrote:

did it solved your printing problem installing ghostscript?

ghostscript was the missing brick in cups building, installing it solved the problems.

Frumpus addict

#16 2004-02-08 16:54:14

dp
Website

what about giving pacman the ability to manage cyclic dependences? then this funny thing will be solved!

the idea:

while checking dependencies you can have a temporarly linked list that keeps what dependencies you already need to output to the user ... and then you always know that when your "cycle" is finished (the linked list has no more ends), you can stop checking for these packages :-)

(in java it is possible, i know for sure, because i used such an example to solve something for me myself ... but once you get the idea, the solution is only separated with spare time of the devels :-) )

#17 2004-02-08 17:56:00

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

What about building?  If they all depend on each other, which one do you build first?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#18 2004-02-08 19:13:50

sarah31
Website

in crux the suggested build order is cups, gimp-print, ghostscript.

so to build cups none of the other two are required.

for their gimp print their build is set to detect cups is installed then it will build with a cups format if not it will build a standard no cups format.

similarily ghostscript does some checking and will build ghostscript accordingly.

so the way i see it is that cups has no depends of the other two but the other two depend on cups at least for building.

runtime depends are another issue all together. as cups is pretty useless with out the gimp-print and ghostscript.

when i was building lprng packages i managed to get a working set of builds where no one package is caught in a circular depend cycle either build or runtime wise.

so it sounds like depend and makedepends could be very hard to figure out. as they both require reverse order depends.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#19 2004-02-08 21:43:17

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:

What about building?  If they all depend on each other, which one do you build first?

building:
1) cups
2) ghostscript
3) gimp-print

installingdeps:

1->2
1->3

2->1

3->1

:-)

Board footer