You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-07 03:10:10

motley

Re: Asus Zenbook UX302

I have updated the script to 3.14 rc5. Seems to be working fine thus far.  I have updated my git here:

https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asus_ux302

I am now running XFCE again and everything works except the SD card slot. AFAIK, it is not possible to get this working since there is not an open source driver available yet.

#27 2014-03-11 02:22:59

motley

Update: mainline 3.14 rc6 is out and it still requires the QUIRK_IGNORE_BPP_CLAMPING patch. I am now getting a new error on boot related to backlight. It doesn't affect function, but it is interesting that it cropped up in rc6. I will investigate more when I have time.

I updated my script on bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asu … ommits/all

#28 2014-03-18 12:18:08

motley

Updated my mainline script to 3.14 rc7. Everything is still working fine. There were not any changes to Intel i915/drm in rc7, so the QUIRK_IGNORE_BPP_CLAMPING patch is still required for successful resume.

Last edited by motley (2014-03-18 12:21:09)

#29 2014-03-18 12:31:30

motley

P.S. They still are not comfortable with the patch for the kernel that causes us to use "acpi_osi=" to allow the function keys to work. Last comment: "The patch is deemed too hacky and will not make it into mainline I'm afraid. It's not clear why firmware would declare 16 output devices while the SPEC only allow 8. I don't see how we can proceed here, I suppose you will have to continue to use acpi_osi= cmdline option for the time being unless we found something new later."

Bug report:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70241

The aforementioned "hacky" workaround patch is here for those interested: (I don't apply in my kernel, I just use  "acpi_osi=")
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment. … ction=diff

#30 2014-03-24 08:33:21

7SLEVIN
Website

Hey motley, sorry for being awall again!

Just installed your rc7 and everything seems to be fine smile Nice going! Too bad to hear the patch wont make mainline, but as long as we have you, I guess we'll be fine, hehe.

A little comment on your script:
I first ran it without first removing the old mainline-motley kernel image, which made things go bad. The final module install failed, and since the script doesn't check if things are going fine, it deleted the build as if everything was going after the plan, and I had to start all over again tongue Though it of course it was my fault, this might be an idea for improvement. Besides that, things went smooth.

PS. Ill edit the first post with you bitbucket repo.

Last edited by 7SLEVIN (2014-03-24 08:39:26)

#31 2014-03-25 23:26:47

motley

7SLEVIN wrote:

Hey motley, sorry for being awall again!

Just installed your rc7 and everything seems to be fine smile Nice going! Too bad to hear the patch wont make mainline, but as long as we have you, I guess we'll be fine, hehe.

A little comment on your script:
I first ran it without first removing the old mainline-motley kernel image, which made things go bad. The final module install failed, and since the script doesn't check if things are going fine, it deleted the build as if everything was going after the plan, and I had to start all over again tongue Though it of course it was my fault, this might be an idea for improvement. Besides that, things went smooth.

PS. Ill edit the first post with you bitbucket repo.

Hi 7SLEVIN, no problem.  Hope you are doing well. mainline rc8 came out today and I updated bitbucket before I went to work this morning.  It seems to work fine thus far.

Yes, the script doesn't have any error checking etc., so it forges forward and assumes everything is working properly. As long as folks have a backup kernel as recommended, there isn't any danger.  If you still had the original version, perhaps that caused the cleanup issue. I made improvements in the script since to remove all previous rc versions. Perhaps you didn't run as sudo and expected it to prompt like earlier versions of the script? Sorry for the confusion, but I think It should work better now if you update again and run with sudo. This morning, I ran the current script for rc8 with sudo  (as shown in the readme on bitbucket) and it ran all the way through with success (removing rc7 and installing rc8). Now, I just need to update the script in 3 places (as you can see in the commit from this morning) and run it.

#32 2014-03-26 09:22:07

7SLEVIN
Website

Boom! Just pulled your latest and tried it again and everything went totally smooth. Nicely done!

Can't remember the problem I had last time. but I'll notify if anything bad happens:)

#33 2014-03-27 00:24:14

motley

Great, glad the process is smooth now. So far, so good on rc8.

#34 2014-03-29 12:26:04

reese

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to Motley again.
Currently on the RC8 everything seems to be working fine.

Was wondering what are you guys using to manage bluetooth?
Specifically in XFCE?
The blueman AUR requires Bluez4 and the current version is Bluez5.
I didnt want to rollback to bluez4 if I didnt need to.

#35 2014-04-12 13:03:01

reese

Hello all
Just wanted to say I ave switched over to LXDE
no problem to report at this time.

#36 2014-04-13 20:40:20

motley

reese wrote:

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to Motley again.
Currently on the RC8 everything seems to be working fine.

Was wondering what are you guys using to manage bluetooth?
Specifically in XFCE?
The blueman AUR requires Bluez4 and the current version is Bluez5.

I didnt want to rollback to bluez4 if I didnt need to.

Hello all
Just wanted to say I ave switched over to LXDE
no problem to report at this time.

Hi Reese, glad to hear things are working well. Sorry I haven't replied in awhile...been busy with work and family stuff. I am still running XFCE and like the setup I have for now.  For Bluetooth, I am running Bluez 5.17-1. It seems to work fine for what I do (send files to tablet), but I don't do a lot more with it than that. I am just using the XFCE applet to control things. Kernel 3.14 is now declared as stable. I just started to test and will check-in the latest into the repo sometime this week.

Cheers

#37 2014-04-23 17:42:21

reese

So the official 3.14.1-1 is  available in the repos
am I wrong in thinking I should be able to install this and boot to it?
I am getting the same blank backlight problem as before
is there a difference between the arch 3.14.1-1 and the mainline we had been using ?
something that did not make it into the final arch 3.14.1 ?
and how can i check ?

#38 2014-04-23 21:37:05

reese

motley

do you know how I can get the kernel-headers for the 3.14.0rc8
I thought they were included
I am trying to build modules for
vmware player
I have looked in
/usr/include
/usr/src
and
/lib/modules
but I am not finding what i am looking for

can you help point me in the proper direction?
please and thanks

never mind just went with  qemu-KVM

Last edited by reese (2014-04-29 01:53:55)

#39 2014-04-29 18:01:30

motley

Good news. Thanks to Oleksij Rempel, we now have a working sd card reader! (Alcor Micro AU6601 )  I have updated the kernel install script using his patch and mainline 3.15 rc2 and it works.  I will upload the kernel install script changes later when I have a moment. We cannot get full speed yet, but 1.5Mb/sec is far better than not working at all.

The patch I am using for 3.15 is here:
https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asu … ommits/all

Also see here for where I found the 3.14 patch:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2205704&page=5

reese wrote:

So the official 3.14.1-1 is  available in the repos
am I wrong in thinking I should be able to install this and boot to it?
I am getting the same blank backlight problem as before
is there a difference between the arch 3.14.1-1 and the mainline we had been using ?
something that did not make it into the final arch 3.14.1 ?
and how can i check ?

Hey Reese, you can look at kernel.org for all the changes to 3.14 and mainline (now 3.15 rc3) releases.  Click on cgit and you can browse the history and/or source tree for all versions. Some good news is that the blank screen patch is no longer needed in 3.15 rc2, so I have removed it from the install script. As stated above, I will commit my changes later tonight so you all can see them.

#40 2014-05-23 17:40:43

rclsilver

Hi!

I just bought an UX302LG and installed archlinux on this. Currently, i've the black screen issue...

I tried a lot of kernel parameter:
  - nomodeset : screen is displaying something but Xorg do not found any device and wont start
  - i915.modeset=0 : same of nomodeset
  - acpi_osi= : black screen but xorgs works on external display (throught vga port)
  - acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=intel_backlight : same of acpi_osi parameter
  - acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=legacy : same of acpi_osi parameter

When i've the black screen, the  brightness move when i echo in brightness file in /sys/class then i guess that the kernel is able to manage it. When nothing is display on my screen, it is not 100% black, i can see the backlight is working, just nothing on the screen.

Kernel command line

initrd=\initramfs-linux.img root=/dev/mapper/vgssd-lv_root rw resume=/dev/mapper/vghdd-lv_swap acpi_osi=

boot logs : http://pastebin.com/jMsQWwRb

packages list : http://pastebin.com/rZa0cJca

uname -a : Linux thomas-bosstek 3.14.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 13 16:41:39 CEST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

dmidecode : http://pastebin.com/VbsqXpfV

Thanks you for your help !

#41 2014-05-26 18:55:10

Strike0

@rclsilver: please clarify, if you don't get any output or 'just' no Xorg. One thing you must do for that machine is install an "xf86-video-nouveau" driver as well for the dedicated gpu at some point. If you do that try without any extra boot parameter afterwards as well.

#42 2014-05-30 14:26:55

reese

rclsilver

Did you try installing  the custom kernel build that Motley made ?

#43 2014-06-11 02:23:47

motley

Hi guys, I have released stable 3.15.0 with fully functional MMC/SDCard driver (thanks to Oleksij Rempel). For me, this is the best kernel yet. Please give it a try and report back.

I recently updated my UX302LA HD to an SSD and upgraded the RAM to 10 GB.  Arch boots into lightdm in 4-5 seconds and I can login and have my custom Gnome desktop up in a jiffy...simply amazing. Damn near as fast as a Chromebook!

@rclsilver: I just re-installed on my laptop from scratch. Using 3.14.?, I was was always able to boot without a blank screen using i915.modeset=0 until I had the custom kernel running again. Whether this parm works or not depends on the kernel version you are using.

#44 2014-07-07 01:31:22

RoyalPalace

Hey motley. I have looked at your kernel patch and I was wondering wether you had proposed it for integration to the kernel. Lately, there have been quite a few additions and the zenbooks are still behind.Thank you for everything motley. I am sure your help is really appreciated by everyone here.

#45 2014-07-08 14:37:23

reese

I switched over to the main arch kernel 3.15-1 when it came out a little while back.
Is anyone else using this ?
I noticed my webcam is not working now, I could have sworn it was before.
Can anyone else confirm if their webcam is working ?

Thanks

#46 2014-08-20 20:07:29

iceTwy

On an UX302LG ZenBook, It seems that the audio on Windows 8.1 is far better than on Arch with the ALSA options provided in the first post.

As far as I can tell, the subwoofer -- or the surround sound system, SonicMaster -- isn't working because the options disable one of the audio devices.

Is there a workaround?

Last edited by iceTwy (2014-08-20 20:08:08)

#47 2014-12-21 01:43:52

motley

Hi everyone,

I have released a new 3.18.1 stable kernel that I am now using with some new features, thanks to some merged contributions.

Source: https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asus_ux302_custom
History: https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asu … ommits/all
Wiki: https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asu … /wiki/Home

The old kernel script can still be used for building the kernel the old way, but I have decided to go this route since this is how I typically manage my custom kernels for Android, servers etc. When I first did this, it was a down and dirty project and I didn't think it had much of a life.  However, it is still here and I know folks are still using it.

Reese, webcam is working great with Arch/Cheese in the latest patches and the new kernel. It was problematic at times, but not sure if it was the kernel or not.

iceTwy, my sound and mic is OK in Linux but I don't have Windows installed to compare anymore.  Now that you mention, the base is kinda lame.  I'll let you know if I learn anything about sound.

RoyalPalace, thanks for the kind words. My kernel is mainly just configuration changes and the merging of other's nice work. Some of the bits and pieces we are playing around with might make it in (Alcor driver has a good chance), but the other stuff is a very tough sell.

Happy Holidays to all!

motley

Last edited by motley (2014-12-21 01:45:36)

#48 2015-02-19 00:17:58

grepe

Hello everyone,

first of all: big thank you for your work to motley. I have yet to throughly test his kernel, but it seams to be working and my ntb didn't die on me after suspend since the switch.

A few little remarks:

- Despite the motley's initial note, the "i915.i915_enable_rc6=1" option, which should improve battery time quite a bit, seams to be working just fine with the current version of his code (kernel 3.18.1). What was the problem with it?
- I merged motley's kernel with the patch from Mathias Gottschlag for the Focaltech touchpad (multitouch) and the touchpad now works well. It required some additional Xorg configuration (enable synaptics driver and evdev), but I've got my two-finger scrolling and multi-touch in linux finally! The patch seams to be in waiting list to make it to the official kernel, but it's been there for some time... you may want to pull the patch to your code yourself until that happens.
- I seam to have some trouble with recovering ALSA sound card states during the boot after I switched to this kernel, but it doesn't seam to cause any troubles for now and it may be just a problem related to my configuration... I'll investigate the error messages and see what's going on.

Anyway, good job!

#49 2015-02-19 14:56:58

grepe

OK, looks like I was cheerful too early. The notebook froze after suspend again... I will try once again without the i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 option - maybe that's the thing that was breaking the suspend all along.

#50 2015-02-19 20:27:12

kligegilk

Hi there,
I own a Zenbook UX303 and assuming there isn't such a big difference between these models, I experiment some random problems with suspend :

Sometimes, somehow, the suspend goes wrong and the fan seems still turning. When I want to resume, there's now way. Surprising fact : I can't use the power button to resume but it works with any other key on the keyboard. Then I get a blank screen.

Any idea or does anyone get the same thing ? Do you think the custom kernel could work for the UX303 as well.

Thanks a lot !

Board footer