You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-26 00:32:51

pantyhacker

0.7.1 boot hang

Wanting to do a fresh install of 0.7.1 I ran into a problem.  As the default kernel on the Arch Linux installation CD seems to hang just after

i/o scheduler anticipitory registered

is displayed.  I've tried using the -noscsi kernel, i've tried 'acpi=off', i've also tried 'noapic nolapic' and nothing seems to allow to me get any further than where it always hangs.

I have a P4 2.8GHz intel cpu, 1gb ram, msi 865pe mainboard, and a SATA hard drive.  i've installed arch 0.7 before, but it seems redundant now. 

edit:  i tried installing arch 0.7 this morning, and it worked, but i am having so much trouble getting my initrd to properly load any/all of the modules i need to make my machine function. 
i would really like to get the ArchLinux 0.7.1 cd to boot on this computer somehow.  any help is greatly appreciated.  thank you smile

#2 2006-01-27 16:15:53

Jefg60

Re: 0.7.1 boot hang

I also have an MSI 865PE motherboard and had similar issues. I ended up getting the 0.7 install upgraded, by changing all the little bits here and there. it is possible!

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … c&start=15

If you look at apeiros post he suggested a way to make the 0.71 cd boot properly. I havent tried it, YMMV

#3 2006-02-01 01:47:00

pantyhacker

Jefg60 wrote:

I also have an MSI 865PE motherboard and had similar issues. I ended up getting the 0.7 install upgraded, by changing all the little bits here and there. it is possible!

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … c&start=15

If you look at apeiros post he suggested a way to make the 0.71 cd boot properly. I havent tried it, YMMV

i am definately going to give this a try tonight, and i will report back once i am successful.  i shall return! big_smile

#4 2006-02-01 04:27:12

pantyhacker

ok turns out it was my mainboard, and there is a "general" linux problem and some BIOS settings.

turning the ATA controller over to 'native' mode (as opposed to 'legacy' mode) seemed to help the problem, as did turning off any legacy mode for USB.  the 0.7 cd booted fine (the 0.7.1 cd still hung after the scheduler was loaded, i have NO idea why ?) and i installed via FTP, updated all the config files, had to manually load the USB core, and then i updated the entire system, rebooted, updated the kernel to latest, and voila, i have a working 0.7.1 system.  do i want to do this every time?  no  sad

i will continue to research this problem.  goodnight.

#5 2006-02-02 18:25:00

Jefg60

it is a pain, and it nearly stopped me from using arch altogether, but then I ended up thinking, how many times do I plan to install arch on this pc? Versus the reasons I switched to arch in the first place that would annoy me on other distros.

My philosophy is, since arch (and the linux kernel) is always evolving, it wont be long before these problems are ironed out. e.g, recent updates have enabled my pc to switch itself off after shutdown, which no linux distro has yet managed to achieve. This is reassuring (although it doesnt really matter), in that if that gets fixed, I should think the next installer cd will be easier to use on this motherboard (fingers crossed). We are just unlucky in that the arch install CD is a snapshot of the current version at a certain point in time, and its a point in time when there were bugs galore for our particular motherboard!

#6 2006-03-09 16:48:53

jskier
Website

I just upgraded to a SATA hard drive on the same mobo. Never had any problems installing with IDE... So I reinstalled Windows XP flawlessly and left space for linux. Well I can get it to the install screen with .7 cd thanks to the help of this topic, however where is my SATA drive? It only seems to see the IDE drive. Based on screen output, it seems like it only sees the SATA drive when I use the scsi kernel, but then of course it crashes before the install screen. Any ideas?

Thanks

--
JSkier

#7 2006-03-10 07:32:38

gradgrind

I don't know if any of you people with SATA would have the time and inclinitation to try something new out, but I have written a set of scripts for building a live CD ("larch"), with Arch installation scripts included. Unfortunately I don't have SATA drives to test it all on, so it might be a complete flop ...
You wouldn't need to build with the whole big package set (kde, openoffice, etc.) - it's easily customizable. And you don't even need Arch to build a larch live CD. Anyway, if anyone would like to help out with testing that would be great, and I would gladly give any assistance I could.
See: www.fsphost.com/gradgrind

Another thing to try, which might be more suitable for some people would be the minimax micro CD - see the User Contributions Forum.
Good Luck!

#8 2006-05-24 10:09:08

CipherPaladin

Hi all,

I have a MSI 865PE mobo too & can't get it too work no matter what I try... has anybody tried the Gimmick release yet on this mobo?

TIA

#9 2006-06-24 17:46:13

Jefg60

im running gimmick now, in that through pacman upgrades it now calls itself gimmick on the boot screen. Havent tried the 0.7.2 installer cd though.

Board footer