You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-26 17:15:00

dejot

Keyboard hangs, then reboot, repeatedly

Hey,

I'm using a Schenker A501 (Clevo W150HRM) laptop as my main machine and already encountered this same problem some time ago, but thought it was purely hardware-related. Then I narrowed it down to the keyboard and got a replacement, but now it's back and I don't have the slightest clue on what it might actually be.

To get to the point: It seems that whenever I do keyboard-intense tasks like development, writing long mails or gaming, that at some point everything just says "fuck you". The last-pressed key will repeat stupidly for about 2-4s and nothing else will react to anything, music will play uninterrupted, but apart from that the machine is already gone. Then it just coldly reboots and if no auto-save was in place, my work is lost.

Since this happened to me today on 5(!) occasions while coding, you might sense my mountain of frustration here, and all I'm hoping for is some idea I haven't thought of.
Like I wrote, I did a lot of checks the last time this occured, including full Memtest86+, Hard drive scan and replacement, turning off and on different parts of the hardware and even replacing the keyboard completely. I'm not sure right now if it even is a hardware problem, since an ubuntu live image did not seem to show this behavior, even when I rapidly worked the keyboard for an hour, which on arch at this point certainly evokes the reboot, should I try.
So, I'm happy for any ideas, places to look, things to check (journal seems to think everythin went totally smoothly till the reboot) and screws to tweak. Please! :)

Best,
dejot

Last edited by dejot (2014-03-26 17:15:56)

Board footer