You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-25 18:41:15

And1G

System crashes when install media boots

Hello,

I am trying to install Arch Linux on my PC. I put the 2014.03.01 iso on a USB stick (with dd) and booted from it.
I see the message telling that the kernel is being loaded and when the boot messages should appear, the system freezes and the monitor displays no signal.

When I add nomodeset to the kernel command line, the system boots fine from the USB stick... So I think it might have something to do with the graphics.
To check the general functionality of the system, I dd'ed the current stable Fedora KDE live iso to the same USB stick and this works fine, even in graphics mode.
It does not matter if I boot with legacy mode or with UEFI mode. (Both Arch Install media and Fedora)

Has anybody an Idea what this could be about?

Mainboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
CPU: AMD A4-5300
Graphics: CPU Integrated Radeon HD7480D

#2 2014-03-25 19:13:36

silverhammermba
Wiki Maintainer

Re: System crashes when install media boots

It sounds like you know exactly what the problem is: your system isn't crashing or freezing, the monitor is simply not getting a signal.

Since using nomodeset fixes the issue, and nomodeset disables KMS, how about taking a look at the KMS article?

#3 2014-03-25 19:29:06

And1G

I wish it would be that simple. The system gets completely irresponsive. Normally, when I toggle Numlock or Capslock the corresponding keyboard LED would change it's state. This is not the case if the system is in this state.
Also, I have already read through the KMS article. It gives me no clue about this problem, sorry.

Update: I managed to install Arch Linux with the nomodeset parameter. With the installed system I get the same error, after GRUB loads the kernel, the system gets irresponsive. No SSH, no keyboard, no screen.
With linux-lts, the system is able to boot. I am currently checking if X can be started.

Update #2: startx fails with "xinit: connection to X server lost" works after removing ~/.xinitrc and installing xterm

Update #3: After installing lxdm, it can be started with "systemctl start lxdm.service"

Last edited by And1G (2014-03-25 20:29:13)

#4 2014-03-28 13:47:54

Pentlander

I had the same problem and I managed to install everything, but when I get to the LightDM screen, it freezes. Was there anything else you did?

#5 2014-03-28 19:22:00

And1G

Did you boot linux-lts?
What happens if you do not auto start LightDM and boot to console instead?

#6 2014-03-28 20:45:20

Pentlander

When I disable the LightDM service, the screen just freezes at the tty instead. I'm trying to boot the lts kernel but I keep getting "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)", even after I updated the mkinitcpio.

EDIT: Nevermind I got it... I had 2 monitors attached and I guess it kept getting confused about where to output the signal. Thanks a lot for the help though

Last edited by Pentlander (2014-03-28 21:05:44)

Board footer