You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-29 04:29:02

comapony

[SOLVED] mac boots to folder with question mark

Yeah, that's pretty much it, except it automatically ejects the install disk (I'm using a cd, I'll try with the usb when I get home) while booting. I was in the middle of installing when the battery died and since it keeps auto-ejecting, I can't boot from the disk and start over. I can't remember exactly where I was when it died, but I was definitely before I had grub installed.

Does anyone know why it would it would have this ejecting issue? The folder with the question mark makes sense if it means that the boot medium is corrupted, but to me (and google), it seems that it would be some firmware issue. But that doesn't seem right to me, how would the firmware have any thing to do with installing arch (or any os for that matter) since it's only writing to the hard disk. And do you think that these two issues can be related in the first place?

Sorry I can't give more info, thanks guys.

Last edited by comapony (2014-03-29 19:03:51)

#2 2014-03-29 04:52:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] mac boots to folder with question mark

I'm guessing you repartitioned the disk, right?  As there is no longer and esp, or if there is and it was freshly formatted it is empty - so the firmware can't find anything to boot.  This leads to the folder with a question mark.

As to why the disk is being ejected, I have no idea.  I've never had much luck getting macs to boot to cds.  It's always involved a few chants, raindances, and a good degree of luck to ever get them to do so (of course this is also while holding down 'C' or whatever).

The disk should eject if the mouse button is held down while booting.  Perhaps it is stuck down ... maybe.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-03-29 05:06:33

comapony

I wiped the disk. I wasn't planning on going back to osx. I know that there is a problem with the mousepad (I have to replace the keyboard thing at some point, it took a pretty hard hit with the prev. owner), it could be stuck.

I edited my post, I wanna know if there's a chance that the two things are related (if it's not the mousepad), I don't think so, but it's so weird that they happen right at the same time. And I know a hundred percent what you're talking about when you say raindances.

#4 2014-03-29 05:11:40

comapony

Oh, if it's just the mousepad, then the usb should work. I guess I'll see when I get home tonight.

#5 2014-03-29 09:33:28

\hbar

If you boot up with the alt key pressed, then insert the CD, does it still eject?

Pressing the mouse during boot ejects the CD, so if the mouse is busted, it could be causing the ejects.

Can you boot from USB?

Did you zap the nvram (cmd+alt+P+R)?

#6 2014-03-29 18:53:41

comapony

Fuch, I feel dum. Lol, the usb worked.

And yes, it still ejects with the alt key pressed, so I guess this is only half solved at the moment.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by comapony (2014-03-29 19:04:42)

Board footer