You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-02 06:07:32

lydgate

archck, problem with cpu scaling, kernel gripes

I have looked around the wiki and searched the forum (mainly for ACPI stuff) but I'm still not sure how to start.

My main issue is this:

[root]# modprobe powernow-k8
FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8 (/lib/modules/2.6.15-archck/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device

I'm not sure why this is happening.  I'm using an AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+ on a laptop, I'm pretty sure this is the module I want for CPU scaling, but it doesn't work (I've tried others just for the hell of it).
edit: cpufreq_ondemand, _powersave, _userspace, freq_table, and all that all loads in fine

I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that archck seems to have my processor type set to Pentium-Pro, which obviously isn't what I'm using.  Do I need to recompile my kernel to get this working, and if so, what's the easiest way to do this?  Modifying the PKGBUILD in abs to do a make menuconfig before compiling?  This was how I customized kernel26 to my preference.

I'm totally comfortable compiling my own kernel manually on slackware, but for some reason it's an ordeal on arch.  I think this is because the packaged kernel has every module and its grandmother enabled, so either configuring takes forever to disable all that, or compiling takes forever (usually a combination of both).  Plus, doing it from ABS seems to like to download the whole kernel every couple times for reasons I don't always understand.  In slack I had one config file and went from there, enabled stuff when I needed it and left all the archaic stuff unset.  A compile didn't take long because I didn't have to recompile modules every time, etc., and anyway there were a lot less modules to worry about.

When I have compiled my own kernel completely manually on arch, it seems to reject it for various reasons.  Also, I've grown to like some of the patches that archck includes, and it would be a pain for me to patch all these myself.

If anyone could either show me a way to get all my ACPI stuff and cpufreq, etc, working without recompiling, or show me a painless way to recompile archck, I would be eternally grateful.  Sorry if this is a rant, I truly am willing to do work on my own, but I can't seem to figure out how to make this process easier.

Last edited by lydgate (2007-04-19 09:16:11)

#2 2006-02-02 08:39:30

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: archck, problem with cpu scaling, kernel gripes

Pentium Pro is what all Arch Kernels are compiled with. Any higher levels of processor options will exclude lower end i686s, and may also contain vendor specific instructions.

As for patching archck, Its not just a package, but an independent patchset. http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php

To compile your own, you can follow these instructions here: http://ck.kolivas.org/faqs/walkthrough.txt

Of course, replacing CK references with ArchCK.

I reccomend you also run 'make menuconfig' after copying a config file in and patching the sources, and then configuring the kernel more to your system.

Useful information can be found in lsmod and lspci commands as well, the files in /proc and sys and any documentation you have for your computer.

iphitus

#3 2006-02-02 09:58:32

lydgate

Thanks for your prompt response.  I'll try this tomorrow and post how it goes.

#4 2006-02-02 14:03:37

nirvanix

The only time I've seen that happening is if your CPU doesn't support frequency scaling. I bought a Sempron64 2600+ only to find that it was one of the chips that didn't support it. I subsequently bought a CPU that did and the powernow-k8 module loads fine.

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

#5 2006-02-02 15:21:40

kryo

Yep, I get the same exact error. Though it works ok with 2.6.14archck.

Using a Turion here btw...

#6 2006-02-02 22:31:01

lydgate

nirvanix wrote:

The only time I've seen that happening is if your CPU doesn't support frequency scaling. I bought a Sempron64 2600+ only to find that it was one of the chips that didn't support it. I subsequently bought a CPU that did and the powernow-k8 module loads fine.

This is definitely not it.  It's a laptop mobile athlon cpu, and plus, with Slackware I could scale it fine from 497ish to 2187 MHz.  Also, my dmesg shows something like PowerNow: Frequency Scaling Enabled.  I'll post the exact message when I'm back on my laptop.

Board footer