You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-29 09:55:27

pgoetz

[SOLVED] Why aren't the MIT/BSD licenses in the license package?

The PKGBUILD Wiki page states that

The BSD, MIT, zlib/png and Python licenses are special cases and could not be included in the licenses package.

Can someone explain why this is?  I rather like both the BSD and MIT licenses.

Last edited by pgoetz (2014-03-31 20:38:00)

#2 2014-03-29 10:28:26

Awebb

Re: [SOLVED] Why aren't the MIT/BSD licenses in the license package?

Maybe you should read the entire section!

The BSD, MIT, zlib/png and Python licenses are special cases and could not be included in the licenses package. For the sake of the license array, it is treated as a common license (license=('BSD'), license=('MIT'), license=('ZLIB') and license=('Python')) but technically each one is a custom license because each one has its own copyright line. Any packages licensed under these four should have its own unique license stored in /usr/share/licenses/pkgname. Some packages may not be covered by a single license. In these cases, multiple entries may be made in the license array, e.g. license=('GPL' 'custom:name of license').

"but technically each one is a custom license because each one has its own copyright line."

#3 2014-03-31 20:39:55

pgoetz

Thanks.  I did read that; am not sure why it didn't register in my brain.  I think It's because I only just now realized what is meant by "each one has its own copyright line".

#4 2016-02-08 14:13:13

beroal
Website

I rather like both the BSD and MIT licenses.

If a license is not included in the license package, it does not mean you can't use that license. ;-)

we are not condemned to write ugly code

#5 2016-02-08 15:03:16

ewaller
Administrator

Closing this old thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer