You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-28 21:35:04

zzano

Rox error

I recently installed rox filer and I like it a lot. However, every time I open it up and check in my home directory I get several Yellow Triangles with "!" characters in them telling me that a MIME error has occured. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

#2 2006-01-29 03:05:57

slackhack

Re: Rox error

try changing the icon set in options -> types, or assigning icons to individual mime types (right click on the file/folder, "set icon"). i'm on slackware now, so i don't remember what icon sets come with arch, but setting the icon manually would probably at least work as a temporary solution.

#3 2006-01-30 21:57:24

zzano

Thanks slackhack. However, I was unable to select other icon sets or assigning icons to specific files. I must be missing a file of some sort. I've reinstalled rox once again... but the results are the same. It's a great file manager but I just haven't been abel to tame it yet.

#4 2006-01-31 01:24:13

slackhack

"unable" = :?: do you need icon sets? what happens when you drag the individual icons into the "Set Icon" box for individual files?

btw, what kind of files are showing up with the yellow triangle?

#5 2006-01-31 18:30:25

zzano

At the present time, and to the best of my knowledge, there are NO icons or icon files associated with ROX on my system. I assume that I need icon sets but can't figure out where they are. I tried going to the ROX homepage to see if the files were available but could not find anything relevant. If in fact I need the icon files it's strange that they weren't included as dependencies?

At Present I have a few html files in my home directory where the yellow triangle appears. I also get a message when trying to enter the "choices" directory that tells me the location of that  directory has been changed. The notification seems to be coming from ROX itself. I f I go to the indicated new location the directory is empty. I guess that is where the icons should be... but they aren't.

I appreciate your response and hope that you can shed some light on this subject.

TNX

#6 2006-01-31 21:31:19

slackhack

the icons go in ~/.icons. for example, download "Etiquette" or "goRilla" from this page: http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/node/96

they'll download as Etiquette.tgz and goRilla.tgz. unpack them in ~/.icons directory, then open rox and right-click to options -> types. choose one of them from the drop down menu and you should have a working icon set.

once that is working, you can find more sets (they're hard to find, those are about the only ones i have, too), and for any file that doesn't have a MIME type icon associated with it, you can assign one, as i described above.

>>EDIT: actually, just use etiquette. i just tried goRilla and the icons apparently weren't in the right format. i don't know why they're listing them there if they don't work. roll

#7 2006-02-02 23:45:34

zzano

Worked great slackhack! I appreciate your help. I actually tried both icon sets but preferred Etiquette.

One final question... is there any way to sort directories first and files secondly in the display? Currently Directories and files are intermingled... which makes it a bit hard to find what you are looking for.

TNX

#8 2006-02-03 01:06:07

babyigor37

To sort by directories first, right click anywhere in the rox window and select Options.  Then go to the "Filer Windows" option and you'll see the options for sorting directories before files.

#9 2006-02-03 13:14:28

zzano

TNX babyigor37. That makes life much easier.

Board footer