You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-03 13:00:15

Blind

lots of Xorg 7 problems

Hi guys,

I have been using the xorg 7 stuff from testing for a while now. Well, I guess I hoped things would improve after a while, but now I am confronted with more and more problems.

1) Xinerama stopped working with the 'ati' driver. I had a very nicely working configuration with just the xorg 6.8.2 'radeon' driver, but obviously, lots of changes were made and now I am left with nothing.
2) I get random lockups of xorg 7. I have read about this in this forum, but no solution. Could this be due to a bad installation. How do I 'redo' an xorg installation with pacman best - with these billions of dummy packages? And how would I get rid of those?
3) I have a touchpad and use the synaptics driver from testing. If I change the config to the 'event' driver, I get a lockup when I go to the console. Well, basically the screen is dead, the box still works, but of course this is kind of crappy. Does anyone else have this kind of experience?

Maybe this is just because I am using testing. I shouldn't, I guess. But then again, nobody will. I would already be happy about some comments if you guys also have these kinds of problems, and would be grateful for some hints.
Cheers,
Blind

#2 2006-02-03 17:02:49

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: lots of Xorg 7 problems

Blind wrote:

1) Xinerama stopped working with the 'ati' driver. I had a very nicely working configuration with just the xorg 6.8.2 'radeon' driver, but obviously, lots of changes were made and now I am left with nothing.

Why don't you still use the 'radeon' driver?  If you've installed the xf86-video-ati package, then 'radeon' is available still -- they haven't removed it.

Blind wrote:

2) I get random lockups of xorg 7. I have read about this in this forum, but no solution. Could this be due to a bad installation. How do I 'redo' an xorg installation with pacman best - with these billions of dummy packages? And how would I get rid of those?

I just did a quick search:

$ pacman -Ss dummy
testing/xf86-video-dummy 0.1.0.4-1
    X.org dummy video driver
current/libsm 0.9.9-1
    X11 Session Management library - Dummy package
current/libx11 0.9.9-1
    X11 client-side library - dummy package
current/libxcursor 0.9.9-1
    X cursor management library - Dummy package
current/libxext 0.9.9-1
    X11 miscellaneous extensions library - dummy package
current/libxi 0.9.9-1
    X11 Input extension library - Dummy package
current/libxinerama 0.9.9-1
    X11 Xinerama extension library - Dummy package
current/libxrandr 0.9.9-1
    X11 RandR extension library - Dummy package
current/libxrender 0.8.4-1
    X Rendering Extension client library - dummy
current/libxt 0.9.9-1
    X11 toolkit intrinsics library - Dummy package

Make sure you get those packages from testing, NOT from current.  Basically, run:

$ pacman -Sy testing/libsm 
        testing/libx11 
        testing/libxcursor 
        testing/libxext  
        testing/libxi 
        testing/libxinerama 
        testing/libxrandr 
        testing/libxrender 
        testing/libxt

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about evdev, so I can't help you with point #3.

#3 2006-02-03 17:27:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re synaptics - I'm not sure what you mean by "change the config to the 'event' driver", but I'm also using testing/synaptics, and I haven't changed anything in the synaptics section of my xorg.conf. It's working exactly as it did before.

#4 2006-02-03 20:59:48

Blind

Hi!

Thanks for your input!

I think I will try going to the radeon driver - and see how that turns out. I guess I was overly excited about Xorg 7 because it has (should have) the ATI r300 open source DRI support (which of course I couldn't get to work). Oh well, curiosity killed the cat.

tomk, I had switched the device to '/dev/input/event1' and then the protocol to 'event' in the synaptics setup in xorg.conf a while ago. Switched back to my ancient config and works ok now. Thanks.

Cerebral, thanks for your comments and help. I will do the upgrade now. These lockups are really stupid and I hope to get rid of them. Basically, those were what annoyed me the most.

Cheers,
Blind

Board footer