You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-09 03:23:21

smakovits

HVM domu setup

So, I am having some issues getting over the hump with this one and want to make sure I am going about it the right way.

I have my basic config, modified just slightly from the wiki page for an HVM setup.

The system itself boots perfectly to the cd and I proceed with the install using the guide on my way.  the installation is using a 20GB LVM partition to install too.  Now, in the past, if I did a PV domu, I used the single disk, used cfdisk to make it bootable, created one big partition, made it type 8E, and did the install.  Got done, modified the basic grub with UUID and things are fine.

Well, I tried to apply the same technique with HVM, but instead of pygrub, stuck with real grub as thats how it seemed to be required, but the system itself will not boot.  Instead, I get an error that there is no MBR magic and that the disk will mount as RAW.  OK, so maybe this relates to the error during the grub install that mentioned an issue with xvda1 and not being able to get its settings/config (unfortunately I cant recall)...

Either way, I am back in the beginning.  I want to start again as maybe I am doing something wrong so here I am to check.  So, being as this is an HVM domu, does it mean the need for a dedicated boot partition?  If so, the plan was to make 2 partitions, the first being bootable and 256MB, type 8E and a second, using the rest of the disk also type 8E.  then mkfs.ext4 and proceed as I did with the original bare metal install.

Or am I doing something wrong with the disk type?  Being as it is an HVM domu and the disk is from an LVM, does the vm itself still consider it LVM or should it be one of the many other types of disks/partitions instead?  Am I maybe overlooking something in all of this and making it harder than it should be?

Lastly, unrelated to the disk, I am curious if someone know how to get mouse access when installing an HVM.  I am using strictly VNC and the keyboard only gets rough.  Again, maybe just a simple setting change or it is just not possible, but any insight is appreciated.

Edit:  One thing I was curious, is is this needed with an HVM install vs PV?  the xen-blkfront xen-fbfront xen-netfront xen-kbdfront modules must be added to Mkinitcpio

Secondly, is pygrub used with hvm?  The way the guide is written, I assume no, but I thought it is safer to ask.

Last edited by smakovits (2014-04-09 04:30:49)

#2 2014-04-10 15:52:28

smakovits

Re: HVM domu setup

I wanted to reply with what seems like my solution, but I also wanted to take the time to ask if this is the right solution as I am told it is unreliable in the error message.

So I started with:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/xvda

The error I got was the following:
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I then went ahead and change the command above to simply include --force

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --force /dev/xvda

It still threw the error above, however, after that it said, "Installation finished. No error reported."

So essentially,

grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged
Installation finished. No error reported.

I guess I just want to understand A, what is unreliable and B, should I be concerned because the way I am running is potentially unreliable?

Thanks

Board footer