You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-10 01:32:37

CmdrCoriander

Cinnamon breaking with today's cogl update?

Hey guys,

So I was bored today and instead of studying decided to pacman -Syu, which had the desired effect of not letting me study for a couple hours due to Cinnamon refusing to start. I use Lightdm for my login manager - and after the update, it just kept restarting itself when I entered my password. Since it could do nothing but show me a lightdm login screen or turn off, I ctrl-f2ed over to another console and started messing around.

After playing around with things for a while, I managed to get Cinnamon to start complaining about a couple of libraries, which I found with pkgfile in cogl, which had removed the versions of libcogl-pango, libcogl-path and libcogl that Cinnamon was expecting to find. Downgrading cogl almost worked, but then something else that had been updated started complaining (it was an OK-size update... hadn't updated in a couple weeks). So instead I tried making symlinks with the names Cinnamon wanted to the new cogl libraries, which also didn't work - but copying the libraries outright to the names Cinnamon wanted did.

I'm pretty new to Linux overall so I don't really know what I'm doing - has anyone else had this problem yet today? Cogl was updated just a few hours ago it seems so I might have been one of the first, but there's probably a better way to deal with it... I feel like actually downgrading all of the appropriate packages would probably be more appropriate than faking it like I did but eh.

#2 2014-04-10 09:05:44

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Cinnamon breaking with today's cogl update?

CmdrCoriander,

cogl in [Extra] has not been updated since 2014-01-20 , cogl in [Testing] however was updated .
Looks like gnome 3.12 was moved from gnome-unstable to testing.

Check your pacman.conf , are you using testing repo ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2014-04-10 11:36:51

WolleTD

Confirming cinnamon not working after today's update with testing enabled. Error message of X is something about missing libupower-glib.so.1...

Update:
Removed [testing]-Repos from pacman.conf and downgraded everything to non-testing versions, Now everything works fine again. Don't know where this came from, but I think we have to wait for a cinnamon Update.

Last edited by WolleTD (2014-04-10 12:34:10)

#4 2014-04-10 19:57:17

CmdrCoriander

Lone_Wolf wrote:

CmdrCoriander,

cogl in [Extra] has not been updated since 2014-01-20 , cogl in [Testing] however was updated .

Yeees, looks like it's just the testing repo ^^ Am I correct in saying that Cinnamon isn't being supported any more and I should probably take this chance to look for a new DE?

#5 2014-04-10 20:36:04

clfarron4
Website

CmdrCoriander wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

CmdrCoriander,

Yeees, looks like it's just the testing repo ^^ Am I correct in saying that Cinnamon isn't being supported any more and I should probably take this chance to look for a new DE?

Cinnamon is still supported. This is the second thread I've seen on this, so I think it's time to report a bug against the Cinnamon package concerning the cogl update.

EDIT: Here is the bug report - https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/39810

Last edited by clfarron4 (2014-04-10 20:41:44)

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#6 2014-04-11 11:34:43

jaylittle

In the non-testing repos, Cinnamon has some real issues.  I recently switched to Gnome 3 in an effort to avoid them.

To start, cinnamon's startup on login is delayed anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds due to what are most likely clutter or libevdev related issues.

Secondly, I have found that using Steam In-Home Streaming in cinnamon now causes cinnamon-settings-daemon to crash which then promptly forces a reset of my gtk themes, icons and fonts.  After this happens gnome-settings-daemon appears to be trying to start constantly (and failing).

In any event, cinnamon is no longer usable for me in Arch regardless of the repo.  While I hope the Arch team is able to address these issues at some point, I gotta say, Gnome 3 might just be starting to grow on me just a bit.

Last edited by jaylittle (2014-04-11 11:35:04)

#7 2014-04-11 16:34:15

clfarron4
Website

Looks like Cinnamon is being rebuilt against the new version of cogl. See my previous comment.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Board footer