You are not logged in.

#251 2014-04-10 23:02:55

beta990

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

Hey guys,

I've also started to get Pantheon (a bit) working on Arch Linux.
Thanks to all the work that has been done already, I finaly managed to get Pantheon-shell working for like 75%! big_smile

When downloading the newest elementary-isis build on eosbuilds (google it), I discovered the new and cool panel, that automaticly changes with max. window, changing wallpaper, etc.
Because I had this build, I could compare most packages with the one of Arch, and install the correct package for the shell. (see paste.
I'd also looked up the dconf-settings and made sure everything was set as in elementary.

Finaly, I have a cool working system! Even the weird borders around the panel are fixed. Happy happy happy. big_smile

Many thanks!

PS. For the record I compiled some packages from Unity-For-Arch, to build the correct panel (not trunk, but 0.3.x).

Even the buttons working: about computer, system settings, etc. big_smile

Last edited by beta990 (2014-04-10 23:07:08)

#252 2014-04-11 09:00:34

I-sty
Website

#253 2014-04-11 09:44:37

Alucryd
Developer
Website

@roi.dm: Thx, I've uploaded it to AUR (yes it is kinda ugly tongue).

About the Online Accounts plug: I've figured out more on this with my Isis VM. Only empathy appears to be linked on the VM so I started with that. You will need to install credentials-control-center from the AUR (which I just updated), it will pull some more dependencies. Then you need to rebuild empathy (take the PKGBUILD from testing) and voilà, empathy will appear in the plug if you linked your google account (don't know about other accounts, I don't have any). Now it's nice and all, but launching empathy doesn't seem to have picked up my credentials, yet another mistery to solve, but I'm getting there. Note that some files in credentials-helper will conflict with pantheon-online-accounts, force install the latter as the former won't work with the switchboard plug (I left them in the package because they're the 'official' ones).

As for the transparent wingpanel, it is supposed to be like this with the latest eGTK, well as long as you don't have any maximized windows. On Isis, the panel becomes black when you maximize a window, which is kinda cool, except it doesn't work that way on Arch sad. This is not very high on my priority list but if someone knows more about this, please share with us smile.

Please note that there won't be any nightly builds on my repo for a undefined period. Our build server is dying and we're in the process on renting a new one then move everything over there. Can't give you an ETA but I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Alucryd (2014-04-11 09:54:39)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

#254 2014-04-11 11:07:42

beta990

@Alucryd: I've got the panel (turn dark) to work. My post was a bit short yesterday, but for the record got the panel working. Except the known problems, like shutdown/lock, etc. not working.
I discovered you don't need to use the trunk version, but the 0.3.x wingpanel version. smile

An question: how do popovers work in Elementary? They don't work at all on Arch, what package(s) is/are missing?

#255 2014-04-11 11:17:43

roi.dm

beta990 wrote:

@Alucryd: I've got the panel (turn dark) to work. My post was a bit short yesterday, but for the record got the panel working. Except the known problems, like shutdown/lock, etc. not working.
I discovered you don't need to use the trunk version, but the 0.3.x wingpanel version. smile

An question: how do popovers work in Elementary? They don't work at all on Arch, what package(s) is/are missing?

yes ur right but r156 from 0.3.x brach crash on my systems, even my isis test machine crashed too, what graphics card are you using?  i did test it with amd/nvidia cards, same results, (no intel here)

#256 2014-04-11 13:30:29

Alucryd
Developer
Website

beta990 wrote:

I see, but that branch needs a recent libindicator as well as ido, which in turn need gtk3-ubuntu, so not gonna happen.

beta990 wrote:

What popovers are you talking about, can you provide a screenshot?

#257 2014-04-11 13:52:33

beta990

Alucryd wrote:
beta990 wrote:

I see, but that branch needs a recent libindicator as well as ido, which in turn need gtk3-ubuntu, so not gonna happen.

beta990 wrote:

What popovers are you talking about, can you provide a screenshot?

I was already afraid your are gonna to tell me not to use the ubuntu patched packages (read the thread). tongue
The problem is that Elementary dev's are also building on top of Ubuntu(/debian) patched packages or are they switching to 'vanilla' ones?

And yes, I did use the packages from Unity-for-Arch to build the 0.3.x wingpanel, otherwise I would get compile errors. wink

Screenshot (with panel in action+popover in VB).

I also want to say thanks for your work btw. and others, because I simple combine the packages. smile

What got me wondering, there are still packages missing, when browing to the packages on the eos builded one.
Are they 'easy' to port or is it difficult? (As you can read, this is the reason I don't maintain any packages (yet) tongue)

Edit: There are also popups missing when opening files with Scratch, on Elementary is looks great but on Arch it doesnt (yet).

Last edited by beta990 (2014-04-11 13:54:12)

#258 2014-04-11 14:16:33

Alucryd
Developer
Website

beta990 wrote:

I was already afraid your are gonna to tell me not to use the ubuntu patched packages (read the thread). tongue
The problem is that Elementary dev's are also building on top of Ubuntu(/debian) patched packages or are they switching to 'vanilla' ones?

And yes, I did use the packages from Unity-for-Arch to build the 0.3.x wingpanel, otherwise I would get compile errors. wink

I posted a question on wingpanel's page about that, let's see what they are planning: https://answers.launchpad.net/wingpanel … ion/246866

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/430 … opover.png

Popover is working on my Arch VM, it's using testing though, rebuilt most packages locally against GNOME 3.12 this morning, I guess that's what you're missing. Scratch also looks good on my VM with the GNOME 3.12 additions.

beta990 wrote:

I also want to say thanks for your work btw. and others, because I simple combine the packages. smile

What got me wondering, there are still packages missing, when browing to the packages on the eos builded one.
Are they 'easy' to port or is it difficult? (As you can read, this is the reason I don't maintain any packages (yet) tongue)

Edit: There are also popups missing when opening files with Scratch, on Elementary is looks great but on Arch it doesnt (yet).

Do you mean the elementaryOS PPA? Most of them are covered, which one in particular are you referring too?

#259 2014-04-11 14:25:46

beta990

Alucryd wrote:
beta990 wrote:

I posted a question on wingpanel's page about that, let's see what they are planning: https://answers.launchpad.net/wingpanel … ion/246866

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/430 … opover.png

Popover is working on my Arch VM, it's using testing though, rebuilt most packages locally against GNOME 3.12 this morning, I guess that's what you're missing. Scratch also looks good on my VM with the GNOME 3.12 additions.

Hmm, maybe missing or compiled something wrong. I had the issue with the popovers also in the vanilla ones. Could you post your (compiled) or PKG? smile

Alucryd wrote:
beta990[quote=beta990 wrote:

Do you mean the elementaryOS PPA? Most of them are covered, which one in particular are you referring too?

The ones that are in Elementary OS itself, the packages you see when doing apt-get stuff. wink

I also have an question about the session-indicator. I see some patches in the xfce4 packages, are they maybe also needed to get things to work like restart, shutdown, etc.?
The reason why I asked, since Ubuntu uses so many patched packages (very annoying), do 'we' also need patched packages or do you think the vanilla ones, should work?

#260 2014-04-11 14:50:48

Alucryd
Developer
Website

I can't provide the pkgs, they're built for my CPU because I didn't build in a chroot. They will all be available on my repo when our build server is migrated anyway.

apt-get gets packages from the Ubuntu repositories, of course you won't get the same selection on Arch Linux. There is nothing to 'port', if you want a particular soft, chances are it's already packaged in our repos or in AUR anyway.

Indicator-session on AUR is already patched and should work fine, the patch can be ported quite easily to indicator-pantheon-session (being a fork of indicator-session), but as I mentioned before, I don't like indicators and I don't want to waste time on this. Note that patching in this case is okay, adding logind support, instead of upower or whatever, to a session handler which would otherwise not function on Arch Linux, and upon which nothings depends,  is not like adding a new feature to a huge core library upon which tons of other things depend.

#261 2014-04-11 15:13:41

beta990

Alucryd wrote:

I can't provide the pkgs, they're built for my CPU because I didn't build in a chroot. They will all be available on my repo when our build server is migrated anyway.

apt-get gets packages from the Ubuntu repositories, of course you won't get the same selection on Arch Linux. There is nothing to 'port', if you want a particular soft, chances are it's already packaged in our repos or in AUR anyway.

Indicator-session on AUR is already patched and should work fine, the patch can be ported quite easily to indicator-pantheon-session (being a fork of indicator-session), but as I mentioned before, I don't like indicators and I don't want to waste time on this. Note that patching in this case is okay, adding logind support, instead of upower or whatever, to a session handler which would otherwise not function on Arch Linux, and upon which nothings depends,  is not like adding a new feature to a huge core library upon which tons of other things depend.

I completely agree. That's also the reason I'm using Arch as OS, I don't want to much deps/patches, etc. Just as easy as possible. smile

Could you add the patch to your Git? I would like todo this myself, but I don't think I'm up to the task. wink

The indicators will stay the same, at least that is what I think. It will be so much work to create own indicators. Or could they use existed Gnome-indicators?

#262 2014-04-14 05:07:47

quequotion
Website

beta990 wrote:

I completely agree. That's also the reason I'm using Arch as OS, I don't want to much deps/patches, etc. Just as easy as possible. smile

Could you add the patch to your Git? I would like todo this myself, but I don't think I'm up to the task. wink

The indicators will stay the same, at least that is what I think. It will be so much work to create own indicators. Or could they use existed Gnome-indicators?

How are you syncing from AUR?

The Elementary devs have been building on Ubuntu, so some of their software does depend on Ubuntu's patches and Ubuntu-contributed software (ayatana-scrollbars for example). Exactly what depends on what I can't say, but things come up now and then when a package fails to build or the software fails to execute. There is a possibility that they will rebase on Debian or another distro in the future, but they have plenty of work to do before that.

#263 2014-04-14 06:41:39

quequotion
Website

fatal error: gtk/ubuntu-private.h: No such file or directory
 #include <gtk/ubuntu-private.h>

Where does this file come from? (note, I know I can probably get it from AUR's gtk3-ubuntu or one of Alucryd's binaries, I want to know where it originates as a file in the package.)
According to launchpad it's part of libgtk3-dev, built from the gtk+3.0 source with ubuntu patches.

I built gtk with (most) Ubuntu patches, but this file isn't in the source tree or the build. I looked over the source tree, where I found nothing, the configure script, where I'm not sure what I'm even looking at; I throughly investigated the patches, which never mention the file, and even read the buildlog, which proves the file exists, on launchpad.

Since it's an ubuntu file there's no way it would be in gtk's source, but if it's something ubuntu added there should be a patch for it; anyway it doesn't even appear  in the source tree in launchpad... even in any of the patches...

Is this actually pulled in from some other package?

failed while building ido-bzr in order to update indicator-session (12.10.4-4 ->12.10.4-5); seems necessary as systemd shutodown/reboot/etc options from indicator-session (in super-wingpanel-bzr) stopped working...

::EDIT::
Found it. So ubuntu has three gtk source trunks on bzr, one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, and.... four to... no?

Last edited by quequotion (2014-04-14 07:08:33)

#264 2014-04-14 10:48:16

beta990

quequotion wrote:

How are you syncing from AUR?

The Elementary devs have been building on Ubuntu, so some of their software does depend on Ubuntu's patches and Ubuntu-contributed software (ayatana-scrollbars for example). Exactly what depends on what I can't say, but things come up now and then when a package fails to build or the software fails to execute. There is a possibility that they will rebase on Debian or another distro in the future, but they have plenty of work to do before that.

See my github here: https://github.com/beta992/PantheonShell-Arch

Yep, they build on top of the Ubuntu-packages and that is a problem when using Arch. It's not the fault of Arch, not the fault of elementary-devs/ubuntu-devs, but you could say the Ubuntu-devs should stop patching and switch to more vanilla kind of options. wink
Look for example to the wayland debacle, don't know what their thing is named now, but it is almost the same as wayland but with some patches. But that's a bit off-topic. tongue

Anyway, for now it is not impossible to get the Pantheon-shell to work on Arch, but again a lot of vanilla packages need to be patched or need to have other versions.
I completely agree with alucryd; it should be as vanilla as ...

On my github-branch this is not the case. wink

@quequotion: welcome to the world of Ubuntu. tongue

#265 2014-04-14 14:24:11

quequotion
Website

beta990 wrote:

Yep, they build on top of the Ubuntu-packages and that is a problem when using Arch. It's not the fault of Arch, not the fault of elementary-devs/ubuntu-devs, but you could say the Ubuntu-devs should stop patching and switch to more vanilla kind of options. wink
Look for example to the wayland debacle, don't know what their thing is named now, but it is almost the same as wayland but with some patches. But that's a bit off-topic. tongue

Another option would be for them to take a reasonable approach to having their contributions merged upstream, but it seems like that hasn't been happening on several fronts for some time now. And don't even get me started on Mir.

Anyway, for now it is not impossible to get the Pantheon-shell to work on Arch, but again a lot of vanilla packages need to be patched or need to have other versions.
I completely agree with alucryd; it should be as vanilla as ...

As do I. One of Pantheon's strengths is it's modularity (separate panel, launcher, window manager and compositor; pluggable watchdog; pluggable settings app, etc) but this is compromised in some packages by build or runtime dependence on (usually) unnecessary ubuntuisms.

Just about to get a better, more up-to-date gtk3-git-ubuntu rolled up.

Last edited by quequotion (2014-04-14 14:48:44)

#266 2014-04-14 21:11:41

quequotion
Website

Next round of icons:
not exactly a work of art
smaller symbols are no less significant

::EDIT:: btw, originals are 2000px^2 xcf. What size and format are needed for that dummy background?

Last edited by quequotion (2014-04-16 04:09:45)

#267 2014-04-15 15:06:14

kaslusimoes

Guys,
I'm having some problems with the packages gnome-desktop and cogl that were updated yesterday.

My gala keeps complaining about not having some libraries like libcogl-pango.so.15 (that were updated). Even if I downgrade the package cogl gala will complain about a gnome-desktop library and so on. I had to come back to xfwm4 hmm

Is there someone having the same issues?

#268 2014-04-15 17:33:29

RibShark

Yes, I am also having this issue. I'm going to guess that the package simply needs to be rebuilt.

EDIT: Yep. Try building gala-bzr from the AUR until the repository is updated.

Last edited by RibShark (2014-04-15 18:41:40)

#269 2014-04-16 00:59:02

kaslusimoes

Thanks, It worked out

#270 2014-04-16 14:21:20

Alucryd
Developer
Website

So there have been a few changes/additions going on, some of them are discussed over here: https://github.com/alucryd/aur-alucryd/issues/2

I've added pantheon-backgrounds-bzr (inspired by gnome-backgrounds and mate-backgrounds in our repos) and pantheon-default-settings-bzr. Those will pull what you need to visually get the same result as eOS. I also patched the Desktop plug to look for the backgrounds at the right place (/usr/share/backgrounds/pantheon instead of /usr/share/backgrounds, because it won't search dirs recursively). I've updated pantheon-session-bzr to include those deps (note that it will also override your GNOME/Gtk settings when installed, you can revert them to what you prefer afterwards).

I've added a secret, totally unsupported, might blow up your computer kind of thing, plug for Switchboard: 'switchboard-plug-gcc-bzr'. It's supposed to add all the settings of gnome-control-center to switchboard like on eOS, but it crashes here. I've built it in my repo but won't add it in AUR, you can find the reason why by reading the discussion on GitHub.

Also, you have noticed that GNOME 3.12 left [testing], all packages on my repo should have been updated by now.

queqotion: gala will now draw their beach wallpaper by default thx to pantheon-default-settings-bzr, and I guess the pantheon greeter will too (emphasis on guess because last time I tried the pantheon greeter wasn't compatible with granite-bzr). You may want to create a separate package on AUR for this, I'll leave the name to your imagination. As for the size, I guess anything that will produce 1080p walls and below is fine.

#271 2014-04-16 15:00:48

RibShark

I'm now getting this error when I install certain packages:

No such key 'draw-background' in schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.
No such key 'show-unicode-menu' in schema 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.

Last edited by RibShark (2014-04-16 15:01:07)

#272 2014-04-16 15:22:56

Alucryd
Developer
Website

I get those too, these are probably deprecated keys from GNOME 3.10 which don't exist anymore in GNOME 3.12, this is perfectly harmless. If it's not fixed upstream soon enough, I'll patch the override file to remove them.

#273 2014-04-16 16:16:48

beta990

Alucryd wrote:

I get those too, these are probably deprecated keys from GNOME 3.10 which don't exist anymore in GNOME 3.12, this is perfectly harmless. If it's not fixed upstream soon enough, I'll patch the override file to remove them.

@Alucryd: Forgot to mention! I removed those keys in *default-settings and it worked without any problems. smile
Thanks for all the work so far, looking very good and will try to move the your packages asap. big_smile

Questions:
- Lightdm seems to be a bit weird, what is the status about that? For me it looks like Ubuntu (as eOS) using a patched version of it. Does this also include the greeter?
- Any update about wingpanel? Would it be possible to create a patch and just add it to the trunk branch?

Anyway, thanks for your hard work so far! It is almost the same, except for a few small things. smile
With Ubuntu 14.04 release tomorrow, I do expect changes in deps, but don't let hope so. tongue

#274 2014-04-20 21:41:12

orschiro
Website

Do you also have black borders around the indiator widgets?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/TTpTsTP.png

#275 2014-04-21 02:06:42

quequotion
Website

orschiro wrote:

Do you also have black borders around the indiator widgets?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/TTpTsTP.png

I've been curious if they are intentional or not, since they were not present in earlier versions of wingpanel (not sure which version this started in).

Board footer