You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-10 19:43:50

tunkejazz

Broadcom-wl on macbook retina late 2013

I am trying to install Arch linux on my macbook pro (late 2013). Well...in fact I am trying to install it to an USB drive (from another USB drive).

From the WIKI:
"The easiest way to get Wi-Fi connectivity during install is to build the package driver on a SEPARATE SYSTEM using...".
So if you don't have a separate system you cannot install the package :-(

The problem is basically that I only have 2 USB ports and no built-in ethernet. To install from a USB to another USB, all ports are then used.
First, I tried to boot with the installation USB stick and use the available USB port to tether my android phone to download the broadcom driver and make the package with makepkg, except that makepkg is not available in the installation system. I tried to install base-devel but somehow the system does not have information about the repositories.

Any ideas? Is there a way to download the final package that one can simply install and works?

#2 2014-04-10 22:50:20

karol
Archivist

Re: Broadcom-wl on macbook retina late 2013

tunkejazz wrote:

I tried to install base-devel but somehow the system does not have information about the repositories.

Can you post the exact errors?
makepkg is provided by pacman and pacman is both in base and base-devel. If you've installed base, you have makepkg. Yes, you may need gcc and friends to compile.

#3 2014-04-12 01:04:14

derekArch

Re: Broadcom-wl on macbook retina late 2013

You can also get a thunderbolt  ->ethernet adapter adapter, as long as you get the newest install medium, you should have working ethernet access on boot. Just remember that you need to plug in the adpter and ethernet before you turn on the computer and the install medium should see the adapter automatically. From there, download base-devel and install broadcom-wl.
In order for you to "download the final package that one can simply install and works" You need to find another x86 archbox makepkg on there and copy the resulting tar.xz file to your computer and run pacman -U foo.tar.xz to install the driver

Board footer