You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-05 01:14:21

mac57
Website

Desktop Clock That Chimes Like a Grandfather Clock?

I used to have a wonderful clock program for windows that could be configured to play grandfather clock type chimes on the hour and the half hour. I have been googling myself silly trying to find a linux equivalent, but so far, no luck.

Does anyone know of a clock program for linux that will play chimes on the hour? Thanks!

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2006-02-05 03:12:04

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Desktop Clock That Chimes Like a Grandfather Clock?

pkgname=grandfatherclock
pkgver=1.0.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc=""
url=""
license=""
depends=('perl')
source=(ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/misc/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('b839999056030e51c876670e8b45e131')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  sed -i 's|/opt/$name/lib|/usr/share/grandfatherclock|' bin/grandfatherclock
  sed -i 's|/opt/grandfatherclock/lib|/usr/share/grandfatherclock|' etc/grandfatherclockrc
  install -D -m755 bin/grandfatherclock $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/grandfatherclock
  install -D -m644 etc/grandfatherclockrc $startdir/pkg/etc/grandfatherclock/grandfatherclockrc
  install -D -m644 doc/grandfatherclock.6 $startdir/pkg/usr/man/man6/grandfatherclock.6
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/grandfatherclock
  cp lib/* $startdir/pkg/usr/share/grandfatherclock
}

Configuration:
1. See grandfatherclock(6) for details.
2. Adjust /etc/grandfatherclock/grandfatherclockrc.
3. Install grandfatherclock as a cron job.

I haven't really tested it. Let me know how it works.

#3 2006-02-05 18:25:37

mac57
Website

Excellent, thanks. I have downloaded the source tarball and will try the build. I will let you know how it works out.

Pardon my ignorance - the post you included looks like a build control file for some sort of building tool. Is this ABS perchance? Are there instructions for its use on the Wiki? When I am done, do I then have package that can be uploaded to AUR?

As you may guess, I am reasonably new to Arch - only been using it for three weeks or so now (but I LOVE it! - unquestionably Arch is the Linux I have been looking for)

Thanks!

#4 2006-02-05 18:33:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

yeah, there's instructions for that in the wiki. Download the file, save it as 'PKGBUILD', run the command 'makepkg'. That will put a .pkg.tar.gz file in your directory, run 'pacman -U filename-version.pkg.tar.gz'  Done! :-)

Dusty

#5 2006-02-05 18:34:13

pressh
Developer/TU

mac57 wrote:

Excellent, thanks. I have downloaded the source tarball and will try the build. I will let you know how it works out.

Pardon my ignorance - the post you included looks like a build control file for some sort of building tool. Is this ABS perchance? Are there instructions for its use on the Wiki? When I am done, do I then have package that can be uploaded to AUR?

As you may guess, I am reasonably new to Arch - only been using it for three weeks or so now (but I LOVE it! - unquestionably Arch is the Linux I have been looking for)

Thanks!

Snowman's post is indeed a PKGBUILD. Create a directory, save the code from snowman's post as 'PKGBUILD' and run as root 'makepkg'. This will create a package with extension .pkg.tar.gz. You can install this with pacman (as root): pacman -A foo.pkg.tar.gz

See 'man pacman' and the wiki for more details

#6 2006-02-05 18:36:01

pressh
Developer/TU

I guess I was not fast enough to 'beat' Dusty  roll

#7 2006-02-05 20:25:46

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

mac57 wrote:

When I am done, do I then have package that can be uploaded to AUR?

Only PKGBUILD and files needed to build the package are submitted to AUR. Read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/New … guidelines
You'll also need to fill out the pkgdesc and url field.

I would like to point out that this package will only do chimes at the right time once you set it up to run as a cron job. On your desktop, you'll be able to use the clock app of your choice.

#8 2006-02-06 01:29:09

mac57
Website

Dahhhhh.... a cron job - why didn't I think of that. I don't need a program to do this, I just needed a crontab entry. So, I unpacked the grandfatherclock source, located the sound files it uses, and simply added a crontab entry using sox's play command to play the relevant file every hour. MUCH simpler than using another program to do it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Board footer