You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-31 16:13:15

archaeopteryx

Error after migration to Systemd

Hi,

while trying to migrate one of my servers to Systemd I find the following error in the journal. How can this be fixed?

The machine is headless and does not have any GUI packages installed.

Thanks in advance
Alex

# journalctl -u dbus
May 31 16:21:47 s03 dbus[173]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.Avahi' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service'
May 31 16:21:47 s03 dbus[173]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service' for details.
May 31 16:21:47 s03 dbus-daemon[173]: dbus[173]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.Avahi' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service'
May 31 16:21:47 s03 dbus-daemon[173]: dbus[173]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service' for details.

#2 2013-05-31 16:52:39

WonderWoofy

Re: Error after migration to Systemd

Do you use Avahi for anything?  If not, then you can safely ignore it.  If you are trying to use avahi, then you might have an issue.

#3 2013-05-31 17:27:25

archaeopteryx

As far as I can tell I don't need or use Avahi. However, when searching for it /var/log/pacman.log shows that Avahi was pulled in by D-Bus which was pulled in by Samba. I really hate this bloat :-) Samba (smbd) currently runs without any errors logged.

# systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i avahi
avahi-daemon.service                   disabled
avahi-dnsconfd.service                 disabled
avahi-daemon.socket                    disabled

#4 2013-05-31 21:09:34

WonderWoofy

archeopteryx wrote:

I really hate this bloat

No one is forcing you into having these packages on your system.  There is a great thing called the Arch Build System which allows you to modify programs (and their dependencies) as you see fit.  So you can easily avoid this "bloat" (all 1.9MB of it) by building dbus how you would like it. 

Oh I see you don't even actually want dbus... without dbus, good luck trying to use systemd.

#5 2013-05-31 21:42:41

archaeopteryx

WonderWoofy wrote:

No one is forcing you into having these packages on your system.  There is a great thing called the Arch Build System which allows you to modify programs (and their dependencies) as you see fit.  So you can easily avoid this "bloat" (all 1.9MB of it) by building dbus how you would like it.

Arch Build System sounds great.  I didn't know it before - thank you for the tip.

WonderWoofy wrote:

Oh I see you don't even actually want dbus... without dbus, good luck trying to use systemd.

Yes, I prefer a simple and lightweight system, especially for servers.  But I also don't think that Systemd will work without D-Bus.  Since Arch decided to completely switch over to Systemd, we probably have no other choice than to live with it.

#6 2013-05-31 22:30:00

WonderWoofy

archaeopteryx wrote:

Arch Build System sounds great.  I didn't know it before - thank you for the tip.

I am actually rather amazed that you didn't know about this already.  If you really want to customize some stuffs, you might want to take a look at srcpac as well.  It is basically a tool that allows you to build and isntall packages using the ABS.  So you can first modify the PKGBUILDS as you see fit, then use srcpac to build and intall them.

But I also don't think that Systemd will work without D-Bus.  Since Arch decided to completely switch over to Systemd, we probably have no other choice than to live with it.

Yeah, that was supposed to mean that you won't be able to use systemd without dbus.  Although Arch Linux's official packages are now systemd, that doesn't mean you can't use an alternate init system.  The systemd package is split into systemd and systemd-sysvcompat so that you can do just this.  In fact, if you search through these threads a bit here there is a thread focusing on replacing systemd (or installing alongside) with OpenRC.  There is also one that discusses how you can use the init found in busybox, which would probably be the lightest of lightweight.  I think there is also a thread about runit, though I havne't seen it active in some time.

In reality, with any decently modern system, systemd really isn't bloat.  Yes it provides a whole crap load of functionality that past init systems did not.  But if you consider all the other programs you can remove in favor of native system units, you will see that it probably actually ends up being less disk space, and certainly less on resources.  Also, there are about a bazillion build options you have with systemd that allow you to disable just about everything (that is a completely literal number of options), so you could potentially make it as small and light as you want.  But the whole systemd package as it is in teh Arch Linux repos is actually <15MB.  So it is not like it is eating up your drive.  Besides that, even if you don't use systemd as the init, you will still end up having it installed if you want to use dbus.  So then you are really looking at more "bloat" by having an alternate init system.

#7 2014-04-13 17:56:45

r0b0t

After that my printer stopped working :

Apr 13 20:53:25 blackbox dbus[299]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.Avahi' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service'
Apr 13 20:53:25 blackbox dbus[299]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
Apr 13 20:53:26 blackbox systemd[1]: Started CUPS Printing Service.
Apr 13 20:53:28 blackbox kernel: usblp0: removed
Apr 13 20:53:28 blackbox kernel: usblp 2-1.4:1.0: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 7 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0248
Apr 13 20:53:41 blackbox systemd[1]: Started CUPS Printing Service.

Cannot remove avahi.

:: gnome-vfs: requires avahi
:: gvfs: requires avahi
:: libcups: requires avahi
:: libvirt: requires avahi
:: remmina: requires avahi
:: sane: requires avahi

Any idea how to fix it?

Last edited by r0b0t (2014-04-13 17:57:12)

#8 2014-04-13 18:27:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

r0b0t: necrobumping is not permitted https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27 especially when your issue is unrelated...

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer