Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna

Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters:
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN

Dual boot with Arch and Windows7

Boot Manager:
    Gummiboot
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Problem:
    After a kernel update the system does not boot at all. I have been having this problem from a long time.

Observation after upgrade to the following kernels:    3.12.1 | 3.12.6 | 3.12.7 | 3.12.9| 3.13.4-1| 3.13.8-1
1. After OS selection in Gummiboot screen the screen goes black(but not turned off).
2. The Wifi and Power LEDs are still ON though.
3. Increasing the brightness control does not restore the display.
4. Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work.
5. Only option is to power down the system with the help of a long press on the power button.

Observation after upgrade to the following kernels:    3.14-4 | 3.14-5
1. After OS selection in Gummiboot screen the system restarts immediately.

I am currently running 3.13.7-1 kernel from the Arch repo.
I searched through many posts and could not find a solution for this. The only temporary solution for me is to downgrade the kernel every time.
Hence, I would like to request if any one can guide me to find a solution for this recurring problem.

Thanking you in advance.

Last edited by an_anth (2014-06-01 14:10:29)

#2 2014-04-13 13:46:11

ANOKNUSA

Re: [SOLVED] Thinkpad T530 - Unable to boot after kernel update

My T520 has the same issue. Seems there's a pernicious, hard-to-find kernel bug that leaves some machines unable to boot via their UEFI firmware. There's no real solution right now, just a few work-arounds:

- Boot in legacy (BIOS) mode---you'll need to install a BIOS bootloader (e.g. Syslinux) to do so

- Downgrade to a previous kernel version

- Build the kernel yourself. It'll give you an appreciation for just how weird this bug is, and why it's persisted for so long. I just discovered after this most recent update that I don't even need to build a custom kernel (although I choose to anyway); strangely, the system boots even if I just grab the ABS sources for the vanilla kernel and run "makepkg -i" without making any changes to the PKGBUILD or kernel config at all.

Stranger still, the linux-lts package was updated at the same time, with the same effect---it doesn't boot. This despite being a completely different version.

#3 2014-04-13 14:18:37

an_anth

ANOKNUSA wrote:

My T520 has the same issue. Seems there's a pernicious, hard-to-find kernel bug that leaves some machines unable to boot via their UEFI firmware. There's no real solution right now, just a few work-arounds:

- Boot in legacy (BIOS) mode---you'll need to install a BIOS bootloader (e.g. Syslinux) to do so

- Downgrade to a previous kernel version

- Build the kernel yourself. It'll give you an appreciation for just how weird this bug is, and why it's persisted for so long. I just discovered after this most recent update that I don't even need to build a custom kernel (although I choose to anyway); strangely, the system boots even if I just grab the ABS sources for the vanilla kernel and run "makepkg -i" without making any changes to the PKGBUILD or kernel config at all.

Stranger still, the linux-lts package was updated at the same time, with the same effect---it doesn't boot. This despite being a completely different version.

Thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned this too. Actually, from past few kernel releases, I am building my own kernel(just vanilla as u mentioned) and using them. Earlier I used to downgrade. But now with the new 3.14 releases, the "own kernel build" option is not working as well for me. Compared to problem with the earlier kernels, the system directly reboots just as soon as I select the option in the boot menu.

I use Arch as my base system which I customized from past 6 months. Hope this issue is addressed soon.

#4 2014-04-13 14:38:06

ANOKNUSA

Yeah, this is the second time I've had a problem with it in recent months. I don't really have any objection to UEFI, but I'm not enamored of it either. Mine is a UEFI machine, so when I installed after buying it I figured I may as well use it's native functionality. Now I'm considering switching to legacy BIOS + Syslinux. Precisely how my machine boots isn't quite as important to me as the fact that it does boot. wink

#5 2014-04-13 17:36:57

mc.suchecki

I have the same problem on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon. I have problems with new kernels for a couple of months now. Tried several different kernels and only 3.13.6 seems to be working for me. However, I did not tested the 3.13.7 one. I am also using Gummiboot and UEFI to dual-boot into Arch or Windows 8 (mostly Arch of course).

This is very annoying, but I hope that this problem will be resolved someday. Has anyone tried to report the bug somewhere?

Last edited by mc.suchecki (2014-04-13 17:39:15)

#6 2014-04-14 11:00:47

Leupi

Same for Thinkpad T440s via UEFI:

My system info:
Lenovo Thinkpad T440s
Processor:   
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz
Display Type:
    14.1" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit(PSR)
System Graphics:
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
Total Memory:
    12GB DDR3L-1600 MHz SO-DIMM
Bluetooth:
    Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters:
    Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
    UEFI only boot: Archlinux
Boot Manager:
    Gummiboot

I'd love staying on UEFI since it's a bit faster for this machine and its the native way to boot wink

Where should we report a bug? Linux Kernel?

EDIT: Problem only occurs with 3.14-5, 3.14-4 works fine for me!

Last edited by Leupi (2014-04-14 11:23:38)

#7 2014-04-14 14:10:59

ANOKNUSA

I haven't had time to find an original bug report, but this has been going on for quite a while. There are multiple threads here in the forums. It's not as thought the Powers That Be are unaware of it, it's just hard to pin down because a) it's so bizarre, affecting only certain firmwares in a seemingly random way; and b) it's hard for end-users to debug, since they just get a blank screen and the system logger isn't even initialized. Obviously, rolling-release OS users can expect to be disproportionately affected.

#8 2014-04-14 14:36:44

Leupi

Is there any way to turn on debugging in the kernel at this early stage? Would love to help with a detailed log!

#9 2014-04-14 15:12:14

ANOKNUSA

There's nothing to debug. The kernel doesn't get loaded to RAM, so the machine can't do anything---no hardware initialization, no mounted filesystems, no logging, nothing. The user just gets dropped into limbo. Since I haven't read through the bug report and discussions about it myself, I'm not sure if the kernel devs have come up with a reliable method of finding it yet. Ideally one would need access to firmware source code for any and all machines that are now affected or have been affected in the past, which is impossible in the case of most manufacturers.

Board footer