You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-19 22:05:06

calebcupp

Need help installing HP Deskjet 3510 series [C6A59D]

When I go to cups web interface and install new printer, it shows my HP Deskjet 3510 series [C6A59D] as a local printer, but as I go through the steps to install it, the driver is not listed. I choose HP Deskjet series and continue to install it. When I try to print, nothing happens. When I check the job in cups, it says "pages not found" or something like that.

How can I get the correct driver, or is there something else I should do? I've worked on this on many different days and searched for help, but I'm not finding anything. This printer is a network printer and it's also plugged directly into my laptop by usb. I've tried setting it up as an http printer, putting in the ip address, and the result is exactly the same. The printer works because I can print from my ipad.

#2 2014-04-20 14:10:53

okubax
Website

Re: Need help installing HP Deskjet 3510 series [C6A59D]

What driver have you got installed, hplip?

#3 2014-04-21 05:00:36

colinkeenan
Website

I don't have an HP printer, but I do have hplip installed, and also notice that there's an HP Device Manager in my Xfce menu under accessories. So, seems like that's standard for Arch Linux to have those things when cups is installed. Information included with hplip and also the HP Device Manager say that as well as installing from cups, you can also setup a printer by typing:

hp-setup

in the terminal. I don't know if that will do any better though if you don't have the right driver. It looks like you can also install hplip-plugin from AUR. I guess hp-setup or hplip-plugin won't run correctly though under Arch because we're using python 3.

Here is a link explaining what to do about that: http://go2linux.garron.me/linux/2010/11 … syntax-816

This problem is already almost 4 years old and still hp-setup hasn't been updated to deal with python 3.

#4 2014-04-21 05:21:20

colinkeenan
Website

It seems this may not be standard after all. From querying the package, it looks like I installed it myself, but don't remember why. I actually installed hpoj a year ago, and that seems to have installed hplip just recently. Just now, I removed both packages, and started to install hpoj. Turns out it's in AUR, and it does install hplip.

Here's a link to the AUR page: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hpoj/, it's "Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet, PSC, LaserJet, and PhotoSmart printer multi-function peripherals (MFPs) drivers". Seems like this is what you need. So, just:

yaourt -S hpoj

and then try installing the printer again in cups. If that fails, try using hp-setup, but first switch to python 2.

#5 2014-04-21 06:02:13

colinkeenan
Website

After taking a look at the hpoj website: http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/, I guess all you really should do is install hplip.

sudo pacman -S hplip

I bet that will work for you. If not, look at my first comment about hp-setup and python 2.

#6 2014-04-21 08:50:32

porucznik

Steps i made to make my hp F2180 work:

1. Install cups and start it
2. Install hplip, qt4 and all optional hplip dependencies with python2-* in their name
3. Use "hp-setup -u' for graphical installation
4. Check if your printer is enable in hp device manager -> printer control
5. If you need scanner you must install and configure sane

#7 2014-04-24 02:40:38

calebcupp

I installed hplip and both are working now.  The hp has a scanner but I haven't tried and don't see using it in the near future. 

Thanks for the info everyone.

Board footer