You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-23 11:36:45

khardix

[SOLVED] Cannot start X server on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

Hi there,
I recently bought new laptop (name in the subject). After installing Arch, i was unable to boot using nouveau drivers, unless I set the 'nomodeset' kernel parameter. After decrypting my disk, the screen froze.

With proprietary nvidia package, I'm able to boot & login, but when I try to start X server, the display turns black, my graphics' card fan starts pumping the air and then the entire system reboots.

I browsed and tried troubleshooting from the wiki regarding Nvidia, Optimus, etc., but none of them worked.

Any idea what should I do next?

Last edited by khardix (2014-04-28 15:54:00)

#2 2014-04-23 23:34:20

empty0ne

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot start X server on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

I was having the same issue, but only when I had both Nvidia video cards in.  I popped out the removable one, put in the DVD drive.  Then, follow the instructions for bumblebee, put i915 in mkinitcpio.conf, run mkinitcpio -p linux, and reboot.  You should be fine after that.  If anyone has it working like it used to with the Nvidia cards in SLI mode, I would love to hear how you did it.

Also, add 'rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1' to your kernel boot options.

Last edited by empty0ne (2014-04-23 23:37:29)

#3 2014-04-24 05:37:57

khardix

Thanks fo reply, empty0ne.

I will try it with onloy one GPU then, but it kinda sucks - I kind of need the both GPU in my dual-booted Windows smile

Also, what does the 'rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1' do?

#4 2014-04-24 14:34:26

khardix

Ok, I managed to run the X server using the provided steps, albeit with few tweaks - I force installed the nvidia-libgl package, because the nvidia driver was not happy with the xorg glx module. Then I had to engage in some pacman-magic, because the bumblebee for some reason conflicts with nvidia-libgl (I wasn't able to figure out why). So I --dbonly removed nvidia-libgl and --dbonly installed mesa-libgl, so the system knows it has a libgl implementation.

With all this, after I ran 'nvidia-xsettings --sli=off', I was able to startx the DE with both GPUs still attached.

When the time permits, I will tinker with it more and try to get the SLI working - according to NVIDIA README it may have to do something with acpi. Any further input much appreciated smile

Board footer