You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-24 15:56:34

Serge2702

[NVIDIA] How I can improve gnome-shell framerate?

Hello, I have an ASUS N56V laptop with an NVIDIA Geforce 740M card. I installed bumblebee and the NVIDIA proprietary drivers  following the steps in the wiki. Everything is fine, or at least I don't have any problems (yet).

I use gnome 3.12, and I think that the frame rate is sometimes low, for example when moving a window to another virtual desktop with the mouse, or when using the activities hot corner. In Fedora and in Ubuntu everything looks more fluid  (although my CPU temp is at 60°C instead of only 45° like in Arch), so I don't know if I can configure something so gnome-shell looks more fluid here in Arch. I tried using "optirun mutter --replace" but the background turned green and then everything crashed. I was curious, in xfce I tried "optirun xfwm4 --replace" and nothing bad happened, but I didn't found any change in performance.

Also I read on another tread that performance will improve until the next xorg release or when the support for wayland is complete.

So, it is possible to improve the frame rate in gnome shell? Is it possible that my graphics card manages the desktop environment? Or it isn't possible/isn't worth it?

#2 2014-04-24 16:21:24

cris9288

Re: [NVIDIA] How I can improve gnome-shell framerate?

I have an Intel card, but I was able to improve performance by setting my cpu freq governor to performance instead of powersave.

Last edited by cris9288 (2014-04-24 18:29:33)

#3 2014-04-25 01:41:38

Serge2702

Thanks, cris, apparently that helped a bit. The gnome-shell now looks slightly more fluid, and the CPU temp hasn't rised, altough I have some doubts. Some friends have less powerful laptops than mine (for example, 1.6 GHz Intel Core i3 without graphics card vs my 2.6 GHz Core i5 with Nvidia card), and I could swear that everything looks more fluid in their laptops. Maybe I'm just imagining things or maybe not. I'll wait for more answers and opinions.

#4 2014-04-27 00:26:36

Serge2702

Ok, just for curiosity I installed Ubuntu 14.04, which includes the 3.13  kernel. That was the first kernel that was fully compatible with my laptop. I mentioned in my first post that in Ubuntu things look very fluid but my CPU temp is 20°C higher. But apparently the older kernels were responsible for that, because now my CPU temp is only 47°C and the desktop effects are very fluid. So there must be a way to increase the desktop environment's frame rate in Arch Linux without a (significant) rise in temperature.

Apparently I don't need to configure my graphics card, because I don't have the drivers installed in Ubuntu. I don't know if this high frame rate is thanks to unity's compiz window manager, I'll try to install compiz in Arch in another Desktop environment (because you can't change the WM in gnome). And finally, I think that I've read that gnome shell is just somewhat slow, but I don't know if that's true. Maybe there are some files that Ubuntu configures automatically and that I have to configure by hand in Arch to achieve this, but honestly I don't know where to look for that.

So, I have to ask again: Is there something that I can do to increase the frame rate of my desktop environment in Arch (gnome-shell in particular)? Or it is impossible/not worth the trouble?

Board footer