You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-22 02:07:23

shadeless

wifi toggle not working system76 gazelle pro

Hi all,

The wifi toggle doesn't work when I try to do fn-f11.Has anyone had any luck making it work? It works when I am on an Ubuntu partition and after I installed the system76 drivers.

I tried to install the system76 drivers from the AUR, but I get the following error messages that I don't understand. Please assist me.

(process:801): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/system76driver/gtk.py", line 90, in prepare_action_runner
self.action_runner = ActionRunner(self.product['drivers'])
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/system76driver/actions.py", line 155, in __init__
if action.isneeded:
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/system76driver/actions.py", line 81, in isneeded
self._isneeded = self.get_isneeded()
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/system76driver/actions.py", line 235, in get_isneeded
return self.get_cmdline() != self.cmdline
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/system76driver/actions.py", line 219, in get_cmdline
for line in self.read().splitlines():
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/system76driver/actions.py", line 216, in read
return open(self.filename, 'r').read()
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/default/grub'

#2 2014-04-22 14:34:08

shadeless

Re: wifi toggle not working system76 gazelle pro

It seems that the problem was caused because I had syslinux instead of grub.

I just switched to grub2 (mostly because installing an ubuntu partition forced me to). The drivers started to install, but I ran into this error message:
no such file or directory: 'update-grub'
The update just hung and i decided to close the program.
When I run system76-driver again, it says that the drivers were already installed. However, the wifi-toggle still doesn't work. The option to restore the system to defaults is also greyed out as well.

What am I doing wrong?

#3 2014-04-26 21:44:48

GSF1200S

shadeless wrote:

It seems that the problem was caused because I had syslinux instead of grub.

I just switched to grub2 (mostly because installing an ubuntu partition forced me to). The drivers started to install, but I ran into this error message:
no such file or directory: 'update-grub'
The update just hung and i decided to close the program.
When I run system76-driver again, it says that the drivers were already installed. However, the wifi-toggle still doesn't work. The option to restore the system to defaults is also greyed out as well.

What am I doing wrong?

Rather than focusing on the driver from System 76, I would first check to make sure the button has a press event. From https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acpid consider:

...run:

acpi_listen

Then press the power button and you will see something like this:

power/button PBTN 00000000 00000b31

Please consult the wiki above smile

#4 2014-04-26 23:44:50

shadeless

I tried to push fn-f11 while acpi_listen is running. It does not pick up a wi-fi toggle.

I also tried implementing the scripts for Enabling Wi-fi toggle under the tips and tricks section, but I didn't have any luck.

Any ideas?

#5 2014-04-27 00:07:41

GSF1200S

shadeless wrote:

I tried to push fn-f11 while acpi_listen is running. It does not pick up a wi-fi toggle.

I also tried implementing the scripts for Enabling Wi-fi toggle under the tips and tricks section, but I didn't have any luck.

Any ideas?

Im shocked considering its a System76 computer. My Lenovo T530's buttons work out of the box with the kernel.

I would contact System76 by email, then try by phone if possible. They should take care of you, and if they give you any info, post it here so we can try to help.

I notice the python script spits out that /etc/default/grub does not exist- perhaps they very poorly coded the driver to require one to have grub installed? You might try installing grub with pacman to see if that allows the python script to run without error. At the same time, they might be looking for that file to append options to grub's bootline- THIS is exactly where you need to get info from System76...

*DISCLAIMER* I know very little about python and it indeed might be a totally different problem. I however clearly see error and /etc/default/grub, and note that my Arch install has an /etc/default/grub, which suggests to me you are likely dual booting with Ubuntu and using Ubuntu's bootloader to handle booting.

#6 2014-04-30 03:34:36

shadeless

Thank you for your help. I'm now trying to get the driver issue sorted out with the system76 guys.

If that fails, do you know of a command that I can map to Fn-F11? I am thinking of rfkill, but that requires root priveledges.

Board footer