You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-02 20:07:27

hippieben

Some Radeon issues / questions

I am using KDE as my DE and the opensource radeon graphics driver.  I am having issues with video tearing, and no options under System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced seem to help except "full screen repaints" which kills my performance (dragging windows around is no longer smooth).  I am also having issues with very poor performance with transparent / blurred elements.  What can I do to fix these issues?  The video tearing is top priority here, that's gotta be fixed or it's going to drive me insane.

Also, when X starts and I am at the log in screen (KDM) I get a mirrored image on both screens (I am using two monitors, by the way), how can I configure X to properly extend my desktop at the before I log in?  After I log in my settings through KDE take care of it, and dual screens works as expected. 

Thanks!

#2 2014-05-03 08:03:49

ondoho
Website

Re: Some Radeon issues / questions

hippieben wrote:

I am using KDE as my DE and the opensource radeon graphics driver.  I am having issues with video tearing, and no options under System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced seem to help except "full screen repaints" which kills my performance (dragging windows around is no longer smooth).  I am also having issues with very poor performance with transparent / blurred elements.  What can I do to fix these issues?  The video tearing is top priority here, that's gotta be fixed or it's going to drive me insane.

what driver/module is handlig your graphics card?
are you sure it's making proper use of any hardware acceleration available?
has it worked better before? what changed?

Also, when X starts and I am at the log in screen (KDM) I get a mirrored image

i guess you mean "duplicated"?

on both screens (I am using two monitors, by the way), how can I configure X to properly extend my desktop at the before I log in?  After I log in my settings through KDE take care of it, and dual screens works as expected.

you can pass a boot option in grub to disable the second monitor; kde should then be able to re-enable it.

Board footer