You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-04 03:57:50

PopeXXIII

Arch and MacBook Pro 8,3 2011

Hello all! I have a MacBook Pro 8,3 late 2011 model. It has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 (i915 driver) and a AMD Radeon HD 6750M (radeon driver). I have been successful in setting up a partition for Arch and booting via EFI, but I am hitting a wall with the graphics portion of the configuration. If I edit the boot entry (pressing e when Grub comes up) and add the nomodeset kernel parameter the screen stays responsive and I am able to log into the system. Without adding that parameter, the screen stops updating. I have read up on the mux that controls the two graphics chips and it sounds like the the Radeon takes over, but is not pointing to the screen.

I am not too concerned about the Radeon working at all. I primarily want to use the Intel chip and would only want to use the Radeon if could get something like vgaswitcheroo to work. I followed the documentation at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … 8,3_(2011) and added this to my 10_linux Grub entry

outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

but I’m still not able to get the system to boot without manually adding the nomodeset kernel parameter each time.

Any suggestions?

Board footer