You are not logged in.

#101 2013-06-07 08:38:55

jjacky
Website

Re: kalu: Keeping Arch Linux Up-to-date

1. Yes, I have an idea about this; Will do something.

2. Not sure what you're talking about/missing: In the log of kalu's updater you get at least all you'd get from running `pacman -Syu`, so info about new optdeps, any output from install/upgrade scriptlets, etc The log isn't visible by default (you need to click on the expander to show it), but it auto-expands whenever there's something worth looking at.

As for using external process, if you have said process be started by kalu (for system or AUR upgrade), then kalu waits until the process is over before auto-running new checks.

#102 2013-06-07 17:28:22

jjacky
Website

Alright, pushed to branch next some changes in how icons are loaded, now they all come from the theme, and if not found then "created" as before. That means you can simply override any of the 4 - "kalu", "kalu-paused", "kalu-gray" & "kalu-gray-paused" - by putting files by the corresponding names in ~/.local/share/icons. You can find a PKGBUILD to try it.

#103 2013-06-09 07:21:42

javum

Thanks, jjacky, for explanation and icons theme support! I test it and it works like a charm... cool

Last edited by javum (2013-06-09 07:22:05)

#104 2013-10-20 15:51:12

jjacky
Website

A couple things while I'm here: wink

- A new version was released a few days ago, with - amongst other things/fixes - a "simulation" in case of conflicts, to preview what said conflicts are and how they can (or can't) be resolved without the need to do any DB synchronisation/upgrade, or a tweak to force icons back into menus & buttons, since GTK 3.10 remains broken, sadly.

- Finally uploaded a kalu-git in the AUR, to make it easier to test the next version. Speaking of which, it now has kalu creating a FIFO on start, and you can send it "commands" by simply writing to said FIFO. So you can e.g. pause kalu, re-show last notifications or start a sysupgrade from a terminal, or via keyboard shotcuts, instead of having to click on the systray icon/menu. Feel free to try it & let me know if things don't work (as expected).

#105 2013-12-19 16:31:16

nsmathew

When it shows an update for an AUR package the notification says 'x packages updated'. But actually no update has been done and ideally the notification should indicate an update is available, similar to the official repos notification.

AUR_Message.jpg

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?
Friedrich Nietzsche

#106 2013-12-19 18:28:44

jjacky
Website

hmm... I see what you mean. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure about it: in the case of AUR packages, as well as watched (AUR) packages, the default is to say "x packages updated" because the packages it refers to aren't on your system, but in the repos/AUR. It probably is more obvious when it says e.g. "x watched AUR packages updated" (And I feel using "available" here wouldn't be right.)

If anything, and for consistency sake, I might be more inclined to change the one for package updates from the repo to say "x packages updated" instead of "x updates available"

I'm not sure, still thinking about it; However, note that you can of course change your versions: open the Preferences and update the title of notification templates as you wish smile

#107 2013-12-19 19:01:32

nsmathew

Ah, I did not see it that way. Now I understand the default msg for AUR.
Anyways sorry, should have checked if I could change it from the preferences. Thanks.

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?
Friedrich Nietzsche

#108 2014-02-21 09:46:15

adam777

Hello jjacky,
I've been using kalu ever since moving to Arch and it keeps serving me very well, thanks for all your hard work.
I have a few suggestion I'll appreciate if you could go over.

First. some nit picking - could you make the two progress bars in equal width?
Granted, far from being critical...
MWQoIX1.png

Also, can you pop a message or add some entry in the log in the case an installed package isn't found in both the official repos and the AUR?
I think the most logical scenario would be an AUR package changing its name (as in the recent example of chromium-pepper-flash-stable -> chromium-pepper-flash).
I suppose it shouldn't happen too often and with my limited PKGBUILD knowledge I believe a correct switch can be implemented, but just in case...

Finally, could you add a similar message in the case a package moves from the repos to the AUR and vice versa?
For me, at least, it's useful.

Thanks, Adam.

#109 2014-02-21 12:57:22

jjacky
Website

- Well, the fact that the secondary progress bar is slightly smaller is actually on purpose: it's because while the main one represents the entire sysupgrade, and will only from 0% to 100% once, the secondary one represents the current operation, and there will be a few iterations from 0% to 100% (init, download packages, upgrade packages, etc)

- As for your other questions, I'm afraid not. kalu is only an interface for ALPM, and this is all part of the normal sysupgrade operation. There are many reasons why a package might change "source," it could have been added to/dropped from a repo, or your configuration could have changed (adding/removing/reordering repos), but it's not an event of the sysupgrade.

I guess since kalu, when checking the AUR, goes over all installed packages to list those not in any repo (to check the AUR), it could then list all packages not found in the AUR either. So you'd know which packages are "yours only" so to speak. Coupled with the ignore list, that could list only packages that used to be either in a repo or the AUR, and aren't in either anymore. But for a package dropped to the AUR, or one added to a repo, nothing will be said.

What I could also add would be for watched (AUR) packages only, take into accound when a package isn't actually found; So you'd know the package you watch isn't actually there anymore. (I guess one could even classify this not being the case as a bug...)

EDIT: To clarify, this has nothing to do with the updater, but the checks/notifications. So I'm thinking of adding a new notifications for packages not found in (any repos nor) the AUR; As for watched (AUR) packages not found, I'm not sure yet, maybe just include them in the current notifications but without new version/sizes obviously.

Last edited by jjacky (2014-02-21 13:21:15)

#110 2014-02-21 13:15:31

ooo

did you know that 'kalu' is finnish slang word for penis?
not important but it makes me chuckle every time I see this thread

keep up the good work

#111 2014-02-21 13:24:21

jjacky
Website

@ooo: Nope, had no idea. Oh well... smile

#112 2014-02-21 23:44:07

jjacky
Website

Adam, I pushed some changes to the branch next if you wanna try (kalu-git): Watched (AUR) packages not found are now listed on the notifications, and a new notification is used for packages not found in the AUR (i.e. they're not in any repo, not in the AUR, and not on kalu's ignore list).

#113 2014-02-23 07:04:12

adam777

Thanks a lot for your quick reply(s), jjacky.
A bit of a busy week ahead, hopefully I'll find some time to take a look.
Adam.

#114 2014-05-05 00:54:55

0strodamus

Is anyone else having problems with news? I got an alert for "Managing Haskell packages with GHC 7.8.2" today. When I click the news button, kalu processor use spikes to 100% and stays there. I tried running kalu from a terminal, but no messages are output. I eventually have to kill the kalu process. I've tried re-installing kalu and deleting ~/.config/kalu/news.conf without success. I ran

strace -o kalu.log kalu

and this is the end of the log file:

open("/usr/share/icons/Vanilla-DMZ/cursors/hand2", O_RDONLY) = 10
fstat(10, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=15776, ...}) = 0
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7fa3ba52c000
read(10, "Xcur\20\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\3\0\0\0\2\0\375\377\30\0\0\0004\0\0\0\2\0\375\377"..., 4096) = 4096
lseek(10, 0, SEEK_SET)                  = 0
read(10, "Xcur\20\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\3\0\0\0\2\0\375\377\30\0\0\0004\0\0\0\2\0\375\377"..., 4096) = 4096
close(10)                               = 0
munmap(0x7fa3ba52c000, 4096)            = 0
+++ killed by SIGKILL +++

Kalu works flawlessly for me as long as I don't click the news button. It shows the update/news alerts fine. Kalu is still awesome with the news disabled, but I'm hoping to get it fixed if possible. I'm out of ideas to try - any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

#115 2014-05-05 03:48:46

shmoogin

I'm having the exact problem 0strodamus is having. Any ideas?

#116 2014-05-05 03:58:24

adam777

Same here.
As a workaround, instead of deleting ~/.config/kalu/news.conf edit it to read:

Last=Managing Haskell packages with GHC 7.8.2

#117 2014-05-05 04:12:58

0strodamus

The workaround is working here. Thanks for sharing!

#118 2014-05-05 09:49:52

jjacky
Website

Thanks for the report(s)!

Yes there was a bug leading to endless loop in the news "parser," should be fixed w/ the just released 2.4.1

#119 2014-05-05 17:13:51

0strodamus

I can confirm that the new version fixes the bug for me. Thanks for the quick fix and for sharing the very useful utilities you've created. Both kalu and pkgclip are among my favorite applications. smile

#120 2014-05-08 10:06:04

AnAkkk

I have an annoying problem with KDE: when the notification timeouts, it still show up in the list of notifications, but the update button no longer works, I have to check for updates once again and click on the button before it timeouts.

EDIT: Or maybe the timeout is not what I think it is? Setting it to "Never" might fix the issue.

Last edited by AnAkkk (2014-05-08 10:16:08)

#121 2014-05-08 12:07:50

jjacky
Website

The timeout option does indicate when the daemon (showing the notification) should automatically close it. I'm not sure how your/KDE daemon works, but if it keep notifications around ever longer, i.e. ignoring the timeout delay, maybe it actually does so in a way that buttons can't work anymore? (E.g. if it actually closed the notification while keeping a "copy" in its list, some associated data would have been freed and buttons wouldn't work anymore, though in such a case I'd think it would keep the buttons around, or at least disable them.)

Anyhow, you can try setting the timeout option to never and see if it helps, yes. Also, if what you want is to re-show the last notifications, you don't need to check for updates again, simply use "Re-show last notifications" and kalu will re-send new notification(s) (same one(s) as from the last time checks were ran) to the daemon right away (and buttons should work then).

#122 2014-05-13 05:30:36

hectorsales

Hello, I'm Newbie in ArchLinux , I have the O.S (Antergos)  and I installed kalu and i have a doubt. When the system is updated with the option "system updade", the packages from "aur" also upgrade...or I have to check the next option (screenshot) , i added the line:

xterm -e  yaourt -Syu --aur 

http://s273.photobucket.com/user/hector … e.png.html

Best Regards.

Moderator edit:  Changed link to over sized picture to link

Last edited by ewaller (2014-05-13 05:36:28)

#123 2014-05-13 05:46:19

ewaller
Administrator

hectorsales wrote:

Hello, I'm Newbie in ArchLinux , I have the O.S (Antergos)  and I installed kalu and i have a doubt. When the system is updated with the option "system updade", the packages from "aur" also upgrade...or I have to check the next option (screenshot) , i added the line:

http://s273.photobucket.com/user/hector … e.png.html

Best Regards.

Moderator edit:  Changed link to over sized picture to link

Where to start here?  Well, first... Welcome to Arch Linux.

Then, you probably should look at our forum rules, first please do not post large pictures.
Also, note that we do not support operating systems or distributions other than Arch, and no Antegros is not Arch.  It is a fork of Arch, but it is different.  You must take support questions there.

You are, of course, welcome in these forums, we just cannot answer any support questions.  I will admit that this thread is a bit unique.  It is a support thread by someone who wrote and contributed code to the Arch community.  In this case, I will leave it to the original creator of this thread as to whether to answer questions ... But, anything that does not pertain to Arch will be removed.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-05-13 15:13:51)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#124 2014-05-13 08:57:43

jjacky
Website

hectorsales wrote:

What happens when you click the "Upgrade system" button (or use the corresponding menuitem) is actually defined under tab "Upgrades", so if you want to update both repo packages & AUR via yaourt (I'm assuming that's what this does, I'm not familiar with it) that's where you should put your command line.

What is shown on your screenshot, i.e. under tab "AUR", is what's triggered when you click the button "Update AUR packages" on the notification about available AUR updates, so it was more intended to trigger an update of AUR packages only (though you could also put the same command line here as well, of course).

#125 2014-05-16 10:32:58

AnAkkk

The system tray icon doesn't work on Plasma Next due to this:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2 … asma-next/

Board footer