You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-09 04:32:17

SirWuffleton
Website

[SOLVED] What is the best way to use ZFS on linux-ck?

Hi, I've recently gotten into ZFS to replace my Intel FakeRaid array I had set up for my /home folder. All is well under the stock kernel, but I'm running into issues while trying to run it under linux-ck.

At boot systemd throws a fit, and in the emergency shell it seems that -CK cannot use the installed module (module not found). I noticed that the versions for -ck and -arch are currently slightly different, and tried recompiling -ck to match -arch's version to no avail.
Inspecting the PKGBUILDs for the zfs packages, it looks like they're designed to be built for the current [core] version of the stock kernel only, which would explain why -ck can't see the zfs module.

Is there an elegant, semi-automatic way to go about maintaining zfs/spl so that I can keep it up-to-date for the current linux-ck version?

Thanks!

Last edited by SirWuffleton (2014-05-09 11:22:06)

#2 2014-05-09 09:54:20

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] What is the best way to use ZFS on linux-ck?

You will need to change the PKGBUILDs for zfs-git/spl-git to require linux-ck and linux-ck-headers rather than linux and linux-headers.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2014-05-09 10:25:19

SirWuffleton
Website

graysky wrote:

You will need to change the PKGBUILDs for zfs-git/spl-git to require linux-ck and linux-ck-headers rather than linux and linux-headers.

Okay, I was thinking it would be something along those lines. Thanks for the clarification.

After I modify the PKGBUILDs to use linux-ck, I should be able to build the modules against -ck even if I'm currently running -arch, correct? Just want make sure, since I'd like to avoid breaking ZFS on both kernels at the same time so I don't have to deal with some awkward situation where I need to build the modules against -ck from the emergency shell or something.

#4 2014-05-09 11:15:21

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

So long as you have access to the required packages, it doesn't matter.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2014-05-09 11:21:51

SirWuffleton
Website

Exactly what I was hoping to hear, Thanks for the help!

Marking as solved.

Board footer