You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-04 01:41:34

zanian

can't boot archiso 30 second timeout

Hey,

I recently reinstalled windows on one of my partitions and of course grub is not loading, so I'm trying to use a livecd to reinstall it.  However, while booting I keep getting the following error:

Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201311' to '/run/archiso/bootmnt'
Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201311 ...
Error: Boot device didn't show up after 30 seconds...
Falling back to interactive prompt.
You can try and fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished

I've had this issue before (back in november 2013...) when trying to reinstall arch.  I had forgotten about it and when it happened again I figured I would just try downloading the newest iso and most likely it would be fixed.  Wrong.  I now remember what was going on at the time but I have no clue how I fixed it last time, in fact, I think it might have been a fluke.  I know others have had this timeout problem, but for me it is not related to not finding the livecd, but rather, the cd is not being read fast enough.  When the cdrom initially boots (from the bios), it starts and stops and goes through a whole series of spinning before it finally loads and without turning the other boot options off in the bios it would be impossible to boot from cd in the first place, as it would just boot into Windows after timing out.  This is the same issue that happens when it's trying to mount.  The last time I got it working, I either extended the timeout (is this possible?  I couldn't find an answer anywhere) or I did something to trick the cdrom into half starting before the 30 seconds began.  I think it was the former.

And yes, I have tried creating a link between /dev/sr0 and /dev/archiso and some other similar solutions that have been suggested in the forums.  A simple solution for me would just be reinstalling grub somehow, but it would be nice to know what to do in the future in case I need to reinstall or in case someone else has the same issue.

Thanks!

#2 2014-05-04 09:04:09

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: can't boot archiso 30 second timeout

Use a usb stick instead?

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2014-05-04 16:22:34

zanian

Use a usb stick instead?

If I had one that would have been the first thing I did...

#4 2014-05-05 15:49:28

qinohe

I don't know if you created this ISO yourself, because this error suggests it can't find the label.
If so specify the label.

#5 2014-05-10 22:40:00

felipe

I have a similar issue on the installation the RPM of the DVD drive was to high so I ejected the DVD, then I get the message "Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201311 ..." So I put it again and the boot process continued fine XD.

Last edited by felipe (2014-05-10 22:41:01)

#6 2014-05-10 23:04:26

WonderWoofy

Try a newer iso?  There is a new one at the start of each month you know.

Board footer