You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-10 03:00:05

viniosity
Website

Which use flags?

Out of curiosity is there a set of standard flags that are used for things in the repos?  I ask because I recently installed leafpad, evince, and acroread and can't get get any of them to print to my cups printer.  Other apps (openoffice, firefox, etc) print just fine. 

If it's not a compile-time decision that's affecting that discrepancy I could sure use a hand in figuring it out.

merci,
V.

#2 2006-02-10 03:07:39

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Which use flags?

/etc/makepkg.conf contains the default flags.

#3 2006-02-10 13:57:16

jaboua

Snowman wrote:

AFAIK Arch doesn't have USE-flags, what flags stuff are compiled with is changed by changing the PKGBUILD... Correct me if I'm wrong.

#4 2006-02-10 14:30:39

viniosity
Website

I was talking more about the pre-compiled binaries.  Example is that I cannot print from evince, acroread or leafpad so I assume that something like cups may not have been factored when the maintainer packaged it.

#5 2006-02-10 17:00:04

brain0
Developer

Most closed source apps simply print by passing the files to lp or lpr, which should work fine with cups. I can print from acroread without any problems btw.

#6 2006-02-10 17:22:34

viniosity
Website

With leafpad when I select print the only option I see if for number of copies and printer name.  No matter what I put in for printer name I get an error that says:

lpr: error -unable to print file: client-error-not-found

Apparently lprng conflicts with cups so installing that is not a solution for me.

Update: evince is now printing fine -- I think because I installed a libgnomecups package.  But still no love from leafpad.

Update part deux:  acroread also prints with /usr/bin/lp command so the only app that is troubling me is leafpad.  I'll just uninstall it and go with gedit instead.  Not sure why I have to do that but I'm not going to trash my arch system over leafpad..

#7 2006-02-10 18:43:43

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

jaboua wrote:
Snowman wrote:

AFAIK Arch doesn't have USE-flags, what flags stuff are compiled with is changed by changing the PKGBUILD... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, Arch doesn't have USE-flags but makepkg.conf contains the default cflags that are used when you run makepkg. These are conservative flags that will work for all packages, AFAIK.  If  other cflags are needed, then they are added in the PKGBUILD like you said.

Board footer