You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-10 23:17:16

P-J

How to install [insert daemon here] as a service?

Hi all!

I've just installed Kerio Mailserver on Linux because I've got a Windows license and thought I'd move it over to Linux.

Since Fedora and SUSE are the only officially supported distributions for this mailserver, it doesn't install itself as a service anywhere.

My question is - How could I install this as a service so I can do /etc/rc.d/kerio start etc...? I've looked at the existing bash scripts in /etc/rc.d for other daemons but it's a bit tricky to understand.

Is there a tutorial existing on this subject somewhere?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

#2 2006-02-11 00:00:05

viniosity
Website

Re: How to install [insert daemon here] as a service?

I'm not the expert that others in the forum are, but you should be able to put it in /etc/rc.conf where there is room for daemons.

If that doesn't work you can just put the lines that you are currently typing manually into /etc/rc.local

#3 2006-02-11 00:38:03

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: How to install [insert daemon here] as a service?

I don't know of any tutorial myself - picking apart some of the official init scripts was enough for me in most cases. There's one example, though, that might be useful here, and that's openswan, which by default, dumps a bunch of SysV scripts in /etc/rc*.d - does kerio do this, by any chance?

Anyway, I worked around it by creating an Arch-style init script, which then calls the actual openswan init script. Here are some links if you want to check it out:

Arch init script
Openswan init script

If this means nothing to you, post kerio's init script, or a link to it - maybe we can work something out.

One last thing, probably unnecessary, but presumably you know that there is a wide choice of excellent open-source mail server applications available?  smile

Board footer