You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-18 21:41:35

lillem4n

Boot problems on Fujitsu Lifebook p701

So, today I've successfully installed Arch on my Fujitsu Lifebook p701. The road there was a pain, however.

By this post I hope to help some other poor bastard.

This laptop should support UEFI, according to the booting of the USB stick I used. I dont know if its true, but what little I could find on the issue suggested UEFI and not BIOS.

So, on I went and tried and tried bootloader after bootloader, different partition tables etc. What I came up with what this:

* Do NOT use GPT. Stick with the old MBR (use parted to convert from GPT if you've gone that way, as from this URL http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … ck-to-mbr)
* Ignore everything that has to do with UEFI
* Use syslinux as bootmanager

Hope I helped someone save a few hours. smile

Last edited by lillem4n (2013-08-18 21:42:38)

#2 2014-05-14 12:50:24

Pob

Re: Boot problems on Fujitsu Lifebook p701

Thanks for that, I was going down the GPT route and having issues. I will now transfer over to MBR :-).

#3 2014-05-14 22:24:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Boot problems on Fujitsu Lifebook p701

lillem4n wrote:

So, today I've successfully installed Arch on my Fujitsu Lifebook p701. The road there was a pain, however.

By this post I hope to help some other poor bastard.

This laptop should support UEFI, according to the booting of the USB stick I used. I dont know if its true, but what little I could find on the issue suggested UEFI and not BIOS.

So, on I went and tried and tried bootloader after bootloader, different partition tables etc. What I came up with what this:

* Do NOT use GPT. Stick with the old MBR (use parted to convert from GPT if you've gone that way, as from this URL http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … ck-to-mbr)
* Ignore everything that has to do with UEFI
* Use syslinux as bootmanager

Hope I helped someone save a few hours. smile

Its really not very difficult to enable UEFI-booting:
Set up an EFI system Partition, mount /boot there then use efibootmgr... wink

Board footer