You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-22 05:51:50

Everdras

Thinkpad T440s - ClickPad no longer working, not listed in /proc/...

This started earlier today. My clickpad used to work fine, now it's completely non-functional. I'm currently using a Logitech wireless usb mouse, which you'll probably see in dmesg&co below.

Some observations:

if I just boot and don't touch anything except entering my credentials into gdm to login to GNOME Shell, (not touching the mouse/clickpad), I don't have a pointer at all. Touching/clicking the clickpad does nothing. Neither device is in /proc/bus/input/devices. If I move my mouse, the pointer appears and works normally, and I see my Logitech mouse in /proc, but the clickpad still doesn't work.

Here's some output of various commands/files:

xorg log
dmesg
proc/bus/input/devices  <-- clickpad not listed
xinput <-- clickpad not listed
lspci
lsusb

Here's some troubleshooting strategies I tried:

- Reboot
- Suspend, resume
- disable/re-enable clickpad in BIOS
- reinstall synaptics
- uninstall/reinstall laptop-mode-tools
- shutdown, remove battery, unplug, hold down power button for 2 mins (clear cmos?)
- weep/pray to Linus
- boot an Ubuntu live usb, confirmed clickpad is *not* working there.
- Update BIOS
- Tried reconnecting keyboard/trackpoint, wasn't able to access the connector, but it looked securely fastened

None had any effect.

I tried starting the synaptics daemon manually: syndaemon. But I get this: Unable to find a synaptics device.
I also tried removing/reloading the kernel module with modprobe, but I'm not sure which module is the right one. psmouse did not do the trick.

I looked through /var/log/pacman.log, to look for culprits, but the last major thing to be updated was systemd/linux on the 18th. The ClickPad was working fine this morning (suspend/resume worked fine). Specifically, it stopped working when I was in the car heading home for spring break. I had just compiled OpenJDK8 before I left, and installed "netbeans-devel". I suspended my laptop by closing the lid, got in the car. Reopened it, and then began to mess with Java 8. A suspend later and my clickpad was no longer working. I restarted, and it was working again. Then I suspended it for the rest of the trip. Upon getting home, it no longer worked and I haven't been able to get so much as a wiggle of the mouse pointer since then.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Everdras (2014-04-02 04:57:36)

#2 2014-03-22 16:27:53

MadTux

Re: Thinkpad T440s - ClickPad no longer working, not listed in /proc/...

Could it be an electrical problem? Did you open the case and check the connections?

#3 2014-03-23 05:05:04

Everdras

MadTux wrote:

Could it be an electrical problem? Did you open the case and check the connections?

Well, since it's an 'ultrabook', it's a huge PITA to get open. I haven't checked yet, I was hoping someone would see something enlightening in those pastebins. I guess I'll do that tomorrow.

#4 2014-04-02 05:00:26

Everdras

Update:

I'm still trying to get this thing working. I've exhausted a lot of my hunches, but one still remains: it seems extremely fishy to me that both the trackpad and trackpoint should both stop functioning at once, since they're on different connectors. It almost seems like I managed to stumble upon an undocumented "hardware disable trackpad + trackpoint" key combo, though I cannot fathom what the key combo would've been.

At some point this week I'm going to try to boot a windows install off of a HDD in a USB enclosure, to see if the official "UltraNav" driver can show me anything.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

#5 2014-05-18 02:51:23

mgzpac

I've had the exact same problem. Nothing seems to work besides repatedly restarting. Seems impossible to pin down. I installed a Windows image to test and the same issue occurs, so it seems like a hardware issue.

#6 2014-05-18 02:55:41

Everdras

I've long since given up troubleshooting this, I'm actually on summer break now so I'm going to take it to a lenovo partner to have it serviced. I'll post back here with any findings. I'll probably take it in early next week.

#7 2014-05-31 04:33:53

Everdras

mgzpac wrote:

I've had the exact same problem. Nothing seems to work besides repatedly restarting. Seems impossible to pin down. I installed a Windows image to test and the same issue occurs, so it seems like a hardware issue.

I finally sent my T440s into have it repaired, I went through the usual lenovo/IBM support. They have been really great so far- though I'm holding back a glowing report until I actually have the device back in my hand (and it works). My laptop was under warranty, and they got me UPS One Day shipping for everything- box to me, box to repair, and repair back to here. It'll be back Monday, June 2. They received it at 8AM today, and they were done with it at 21:00-ish. It's sitting in a UPS center atm and I've got a tracking number for it.

I sent it in without a HDD, and they said this wouldn't be an issue- I didn't want my SSD with my private keys and documents to go out of my possession (and I didn't want them to be able to go "Yeah, you had this weird non-windows OS on it, so we decided that was the problem and sent it back". I've had that happen before).

So, when I actually get it back, I'll update this post. Hopefully they included a write-up of what they found out was wrong.

#8 2014-06-02 11:41:26

Jcrash

Everdras wrote:

- weep/pray to Linus

Haha!

I had the same issue.  Touchscreen worked fine out of the box but the trackpad/pointer was unresponsive.

Did you try using:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86 … rackpoint/

On another note, I had a good experience with their hardware support. Cracked my touchscreen and jumped through the same hoops.  Great turnaround time (<1week).

#9 2014-06-02 20:06:44

Everdras

Jcrash wrote:
Everdras wrote:

- weep/pray to Linus

Haha!

I had the same issue.  Touchscreen worked fine out of the box but the trackpad/pointer was unresponsive.

Did you try using:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86 … rackpoint/

On another note, I had a good experience with their hardware support. Cracked my touchscreen and jumped through the same hoops.  Great turnaround time (<1week).

Alright, I've got my laptop fixed. Lenovo informs me that they replaced the motherboard. After putting my SSD back in, the touchpad works now! So it looks like it was definitely a hardware issue for me.

And yeah, lenovo support was incredible. They were very nice on the phone, didn't mind that I kept my hard drive, and they gave me 1-day shipping all over the place. I talked to them on the phone on the 28th @ 17:00 GMT-6, received my box on the 29th and sent it right back out with the laptop in it. They received it the 30th, fixed it the 30th, and it would've been back to me the 31st if that weren't a Saturday. So, I received it today.

Oddly, though, they accidentally sent me an (extra) repair box to my apartment- which I'm not at right now. /me shrugs.

#10 2014-06-02 20:09:12

Everdras

mgzpac wrote:

You should contact Lenovo support at 1-800-426-7378. This is the number for their IBM support center in Atlanta, Georgia. They're super nice and I was only without my laptop for ~5 days.

Board footer