You are not logged in.

#226 2014-05-14 18:14:13

n8henrie
Website

Re: Acer C720/C720P Chromebook

I'm not having any luck with the `linux-chromebook` package on 3.14.3-2. Anyone else? I've tried installing it 3 or 4 times now, takes a really long time, but I get reboot on resume from suspend every time.

EDIT: Was also having trouble with my code tags, obviously :S

Last edited by n8henrie (2014-05-15 02:11:45)

#227 2014-05-14 19:06:19

parchedas

n8henrie wrote:

I'm not having any luck with the <code>linux-chromebook</code> package on 3.14.3-2. Anyone else? I've tried installing it 3 or 4 times now, takes a <i>really</i> long time, but I get reboot on resume from suspend every time.

Hi n8henrie, I suspect maybe you are not booting into the linux chromenbook kernel? Just to be clear, once you have installed that kernel you need to update grub and choose the linux-chromebook entry when you boot.

#228 2014-05-14 19:28:26

parchedas

kschwarz wrote:

@parchedas thank you for this complete and easy solution will there be a c720p (touchscreen) version?

I will if someone gives me patches, or I will myself anyway when I get some time to track them down.

#229 2014-05-15 02:13:08

n8henrie
Website

parchedas wrote:
n8henrie wrote:

I'm not having any luck with the <code>linux-chromebook</code> package on 3.14.3-2. Anyone else? I've tried installing it 3 or 4 times now, takes a <i>really</i> long time, but I get reboot on resume from suspend every time.

Hi n8henrie, I suspect maybe you are not booting into the linux chromenbook kernel? Just to be clear, once you have installed that kernel you need to update grub and choose the linux-chromebook entry when you boot.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help -- I'll have to reenable my grub kernel select screen and give it a shot, that's probably why (set its timeout to 0 to speed up boot time).

#230 2014-05-15 02:16:27

parchedas

n8henrie wrote:

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help -- I'll have to reenable my grub kernel select screen and give it a shot, that's probably why (set its timeout to 0 to speed up boot time).

Well you don't necessarily need to change the timeout just change the default to 2 should do it

GRUB_DEFAULT=2

#231 2014-05-16 18:29:06

hellfire[bg]

Hi,

I'm considering buying this chromebook and would like to ask several questions about it:
1. Is it good enough for a desktop environment with compositing enabled? I plan to use KDE and would like to know if it is going to work OK on this machine. Should I expect any noticeable slowdowns and should I opt for a lighter window manager or desktop environment instead (LXDE, XFCE, etc).
2. Are there any major issues currently execpt the issue with the touchpad (I don't mind compiling the necessary modules) and the inability to use Syslinux (I'm goint to use GRUB anyway).
3. In order to fix the touchpad issues do I need to compile the entire kernel or just the necessay modules?
4. What is the build quality of the chromebook?
Generally I intend to use the chromebook for web browsing, E-Mails, music and the occasional video and like to know if the laptop is suitable for this tasks and if I can comfortably use a full desktop environment (KDE or GNOME) on it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

#232 2014-05-16 18:45:07

nariox

hellfire[bg] wrote:

Hi,

I'm considering buying this chromebook and would like to ask several questions about it:
1. Is it good enough for a desktop environment with compositing enabled? I plan to use KDE and would like to know if it is going to work OK on this machine. Should I expect any noticeable slowdowns and should I opt for a lighter window manager or desktop environment instead (LXDE, XFCE, etc).
2. Are there any major issues currently execpt the issue with the touchpad (I don't mind compiling the necessary modules) and the inability to use Syslinux (I'm goint to use GRUB anyway).
3. In order to fix the touchpad issues do I need to compile the entire kernel or just the necessay modules?
4. What is the build quality of the chromebook?
Generally I intend to use the chromebook for web browsing, E-Mails, music and the occasional video and like to know if the laptop is suitable for this tasks and if I can comfortably use a full desktop environment (KDE or GNOME) on it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 - The processors and GPU are pretty good. Benchmarks indicate that the CPU is somewhat close in performance to a C2D E6600. The GPU is a little harder to test as drivers are still improving quite a bit, but I'd put it close to a HD3000. I run several games on it with little to no problem. I'm running GNOME3 on it and so far so good. It does use a little bit more memory than I'd like, but nothing too extreme.
2 - Boot is a little long considering it's a SSD, but also nothing too dramatic (you can see the video I posted earlier in this thread). The screen is a little bit dull. The power button can be easily pressed by accident. There are some other small things. But overall I really love it. I've replaced my MBP 13" by this and am very happy. Get a 4GB version if you can get hold of one, but the 2GB is very capable too.
3 - All you need is to compile the necessary modules. You can also use parchedas' precompiled kernel
4 - Some reviews complained about the keyboard, feeling "weak", but I disagree, the keyboard is great, very soft and sensitive. The touchpad is also very good. Battery life is AMAZING. Wireless and bluetooth are both great too. I do think the screen could've been a little bit better, but otherwise I think it's a good build quality.

#233 2014-05-17 20:39:07

hellfire[bg]

Thank you very much for the prompt reply! I think I'm going to buy one of these chromebooks, sounds like it is a very nice machine considerning how little it costs. There's one more question that I'd like to ask. I watched the linux action show review of this laptop and they mentioned that each time you boot the OS there's a prompt saying the OS verification (or something of this sort) is disabled and if you'd like to enable it you need to press the spacebar which may cause a problems (you may brick your laptop) if you have completely erase chrome OS (like I most probably will do). Is that so?

Also I didn't know there was 4 GB model. Is it widely available (I only saw the 2 GB model on Amazon).

#234 2014-05-18 01:52:34

dhead

@hellfire[bg]

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.SHEAA.004

Amazon list what's seems like different revisions of the 4GB model with no noticable difference.
* C720P-2625 for 380$ new.
* C720-2844 for about 250$, this model price can change few time a day, the only review about it says that it's refurbished, I'm not sure if exact [Edit: it's not true, I received my C720 and it's brand new], anyway it's a great deal.
I purchased the latter from Amazon for about 280$ two weeks ago and probably will get it today (international shipping).

Last edited by dhead (2014-05-18 06:43:04)

#235 2014-05-18 02:25:23

n8henrie
Website

@Parchedas and others -- you are all awesome. Resume is working great with linux-chromebook and GRUB_DEFAULT=2. Thanks again!

#236 2014-05-18 05:45:44

therealarchdaemon

hellfire[bg] wrote:

Thank you very much for the prompt reply! I think I'm going to buy one of these chromebooks, sounds like it is a very nice machine considerning how little it costs. There's one more question that I'd like to ask. I watched the linux action show review of this laptop and they mentioned that each time you boot the OS there's a prompt saying the OS verification (or something of this sort) is disabled and if you'd like to enable it you need to press the spacebar which may cause a problems (you may brick your laptop) if you have completely erase chrome OS (like I most probably will do). Is that so?

It's not possible to brick the C720 by pressing the spacebar at boot, but if you have erased ChromeOS and then accidentally re-enable OS verification, you'll have a temporarily unbootable machine. You'd have to use a ChromeOS recovery image to reinstall ChromeOS, which would wipe your existing Arch install.

Fortunately, you can prevent any potential spacebar shenanigans by following the instructions here:

http://johnlewis.ie/how-to-make-seabios … acer-c720/

Do note that those instructions require you to open the C720 up, which will void the warranty. For a $200 machine, though, it's well worth it IMHO.

#237 2014-05-18 07:27:29

dhead

therealarchdaemon wrote:

Do note that those instructions require you to open the C720 up, which will void the warranty. For a $200 machine, though, it's well worth it IMHO.

I recommend getting a few plastic prying tools aka spudgers, it worth the 2$-3$ as you won't leave a mark when prying open the plastic clips and you'll keep them all intact.
I just opened my own C720 to remove the write protect screw and replace the ssd.

#238 2014-05-18 11:48:22

hellfire[bg]

It's not possible to brick the C720 by pressing the spacebar at boot, but if you have erased ChromeOS and then accidentally re-enable OS verification, you'll have a temporarily unbootable machine. You'd have to use a ChromeOS recovery image to reinstall ChromeOS, which would wipe your existing Arch install.

Fortunately, you can prevent any potential spacebar shenanigans by following the instructions here:

http://johnlewis.ie/how-to-make-seabios … acer-c720/

I recommend getting a few plastic prying tools aka spudgers, it worth the 2$-3$ as you won't leave a mark when prying open the plastic clips and you'll keep them all intact.
I just opened my own C720 to remove the write protect screw and replace the ssd.

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider doing this. I also considered upgrading the ssd and if I decide to do so I'll most likely remove this write protect screw. I'll write again when I get this amazing little machine.

#239 2014-05-18 14:00:15

therealarchdaemon

hellfire[bg] wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider doing this. I also considered upgrading the ssd and if I decide to do so I'll most likely remove this write protect screw. I'll write again when I get this amazing little machine.

I just used an old credit card to pry it open, and it worked fine (no marks left behind and no broken clips).  But if you're going to be ordering an SSD or something else, then it certainly couldn't hurt to add a proper prying tool to the order.

#240 2014-05-19 09:12:18

dhead

First day with my C720.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, it's a great little device, run Gnome without sweating.
If I hadn't needed running Windows VM occasionally then the 2GB model with 64GB ssd would be suffice for me even with 10+ tabs on Chormium.

As I followed the wiki page, here're few remarks regarding the wiki page and Gnome:

* There's no mention to the linux-chromebook package, worth adding remarks when appropriate (I guess at least at touchpad, suspend).
* The recommendation of same value for FingerLow and FingerHigh generate false events when tap to click is set, I haven't found yet the best values but FingerLow should be lower than FingerHigh.
* amixer commands for volume up/down seems to be missing a percentage sign (e.g. "amixer set Master 5\%- unmute").
* I love the xbindkeys mapping for PageUp/Down, Home, End but when mapping it to ALT+Arrows one would lose the default nautilus browsing hotkeys, replacing ALT with CTRL isn't a good idea, I don't got a better one yet (app aware keymap ?).
* Trashing/deleting keymapping for nautilus needed to be added (it's more a reminder for myself).
* When using the 2013.10.0 installation media one need to refresh the keys, I've done it the wrong way, disabled signature authentication on the installation media and refreshed the keys on the new chroot, probably better refreshing the keys on the installation media.

Except the above I would say that following the wiki page would get you a well configured Linux laptop with no major issues under less than 30min.

#241 2014-05-19 09:44:09

dhead

p.s. What power management tool are you using and what's your configuration ?
I saw here a post about TLP, anyone using pm-utils or laptop-mode-tools ?

#242 2014-05-19 17:56:43

Sn1PeR

dhead wrote:

I'm using laptop-mode-tools, but only because I haven't switched over to TLP yet.  laptop-mode-tools is now orphaned on the AUR.

#243 2014-05-19 23:06:58

therealarchdaemon

dhead wrote:

I'm just using TLP with the default config, and it just about doubled the battery life (I can get a solid 8 hours now).

#244 2014-05-20 04:28:16

dhead

@Sn1PeR & @therealarchdaemon. thanks, I gave TLP a shot and it's looking pretty good.

I've not succeed getting power management on for the ath9k.

For trashing files on Nautilus I edited .config/nautilus/accels

(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/DirViewActions/Trash" "<Alt>BackSpace")

Instead of the keybinding for ALT+Arrow I'm using the Chrome extension "Hotkeys" which is quite alright (no real PgUp/Down just a short scroll).

#245 2014-05-21 08:46:00

gothmog123

Is anyone else getting hard system freezes from time to time? It's not frequent so it doesn't bother me that much. Just wondering.

#246 2014-05-21 18:17:59

nariox

gothmog123 wrote:

Is anyone else getting hard system freezes from time to time? It's not frequent so it doesn't bother me that much. Just wondering.

Is it truly a hard freeze? I sometimes get a freeze if some process misbehaves and takes all the RAM (happens often with flash-rich websites)

@dhead: I'm using TLP and just changed a few things to the config, such as PM runtime for everything and deadline scheduler for the SSD.

#247 2014-05-21 20:30:28

nemster

got a 720p
mouse/touchscreen/audio works so far with standardkernel and and the modules+patches from the script in the wiki.

the only thing that i can't get to work is the sleeping/hibernate. everytime my chromebook boots.

- how should i put it to sleep
- whats supposed to happen on wake up

kernel params:

root=UUID=6cc28dc2-4fd8-4fd2-8b14-ead6649ae229 rw  tpm_tis.interrupts=0 modprobe.blacklist=ehci_hcd,ehci_pci nmi_watchdog=0

#248 2014-05-21 23:48:26

therealarchdaemon

gothmog123 wrote:

Can you describe the exact symptoms in more detail, please?

The other day when I was on battery, my C720 just completely shut off for no apparent reason. I had about 93% battery at the time, and I doubt it was an overheating issue. I checked journalctl entries for around the time of the crash, but the only messages there had to do with the wifi losing connectivity and then reconnecting. I have no idea if that's related or not.

#249 2014-05-22 00:13:48

gothmog123

therealarchdaemon wrote:
gothmog123 wrote:

The other day when I was on battery, my C720 just completely shut off for no apparent reason. I had about 93% battery at the time, and I doubt it was an overheating issue. I checked journalctl entries for around the time of the crash, but the only messages there had to do with the wifi losing connectivity and then reconnecting. I have no idea if that's related or not.

It doesn't shut off, just becomes completely unresponsive. If there is any audio playing, the last second of it is looped forever.

#250 2014-05-22 13:30:06

nariox

gothmog123 wrote:
therealarchdaemon wrote:
gothmog123 wrote:

It doesn't shut off, just becomes completely unresponsive. If there is any audio playing, the last second of it is looped forever.

Were you on a website with flash? It happens to me on youtube. I've been blaming flash. I've disabled the plugin on firefox and haven't experienced it again.

Board footer