You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-18 14:43:15

russ0r

gnome-session-properties removed from GNOME 3.12?

Hey,
I upgraded to GNOME 3.12 (and just now 3.12.1) and now I can't find gnome-session-properties. There doesn't seem to be a way to configure startup applications now.

Has it been removed? Is there an alternative? The tweak tool's Startup Applications dialogue is buggy at best.

Cheers.

Last edited by russ0r (2014-04-18 14:44:24)

#2 2014-04-18 14:54:50

clfarron4
Website

Re: gnome-session-properties removed from GNOME 3.12?

russ0r wrote:

Hey,
I upgraded to GNOME 3.12 (and just now 3.12.1) and now I can't find gnome-session-properties. There doesn't seem to be a way to configure startup applications now.

Has it been removed? Is there an alternative? The tweak tool's Startup Applications dialogue is buggy at best.

Cheers.

Have you tried:

FernandoBasso wrote:

I thought it would be worthy mentioning that in is necessary to install new gnome software like polari and gnome-logs separately because, in the upgrade, pacman will not install them. Or

pacman -S gnome gnome-extra --needed

There's a whole thread about GNOME 3.12: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=178651

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2014-04-18 17:10:50

russ0r

clfarron4 wrote:
russ0r wrote:

Hey,

Cheers.

Have you tried:

FernandoBasso wrote:

I thought it would be worthy mentioning that in is necessary to install new gnome software like polari and gnome-logs separately because, in the upgrade, pacman will not install them. Or

pacman -S gnome gnome-extra --needed

Yeah, it installed a few extra things, but nothing that fixed my issue.

There's a whole thread about GNOME 3.12: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=178651

That's for beta. Version 3.12.1 is stable and in the extra repository.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by russ0r (2014-04-18 17:11:54)

#4 2014-04-18 17:39:02

clfarron4
Website

No idea then. I would ask over there though, in the event that one of those users know.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#5 2014-04-19 03:52:57

serdotlinecho

Try 'Startup Applications' tab in gnome-tweak-tool.

Last edited by serdotlinecho (2014-04-19 03:53:17)

#6 2014-04-19 08:25:47

Cthulhu82

Doesn't work for me neither. gnome-tweak-tool allow to see and remove startup applications, but not to had them. The only solution I found so far is to manually create a *.desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/ .

« En essayant continuellement, on finit par réussir.
Donc plus ça rate, plus ça a de chance de marcher. »
Devise Shadock

#7 2014-04-19 15:27:00

russ0r

serdotlinecho wrote:

Try 'Startup Applications' tab in gnome-tweak-tool.

It doesn't work properly; it shows the list of applications but I can't add or remove any.

Cthulhu82 wrote:

Doesn't work for me neither. gnome-tweak-tool allow to see and remove startup applications, but not to had them. The only solution I found so far is to manually create a *.desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/ .

I guess I'll just do this for now, thanks folks.

#8 2014-04-19 15:54:42

ooo

gnome-session-properties was part of gnome-session, and apparently they removed it in 3.12 because it was unmantained and gnome-tweak-tool should work. [source]
tweak-took 3.12 shoule feature "More robust startup application handling" according to the NEWS file, and I think it actually works better than before but is still quite unusable.

Only thing that seems to work for me is removing startup applications, but that only works for the ones in autostart directories in your /home.  I had to manually copy some files from /etc/xdg/autostart/ to ~/.config/autostart/ and edit the files to prevent them from starting.
I'm pretty sure when I had all the startup applications removed from GTT's list I was able to click the "+" below the list and add application, but that also listed only some applications.

#9 2014-04-19 21:33:13

kabbalah
Banned

1. Downgrade gnome-session
2. alt + f2 - Type in  gnome-session-properties - to test it,
3. Reboot
4. Upgrade gnome-session
5. alt + f2 - Type in  gnome-session-properties - to test it,
6. All ok

#10 2014-04-30 08:34:47

bmanuel

I noticed this problem when trying to automatically load Docky at startup: i found out that not only a .desktop file needs to be placed in ~/.config/autostart, but also it should contains the following key-value pair to disable loading other stuff i didn't want anymore:

X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false

For me, for some reason, just placing the file in the autostart directory isn't enough and i need to specify the X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled thing, just to let you know it may solves your issues as well.

#11 2014-05-08 18:17:08

russ0r

kabbalah wrote:

3. Reboot
4. Upgrade gnome-session
6. All ok

Something is wrong with your install then, because gnome-session-properties has been removed as of GNOME 3.12.

ooo wrote:

gnome-session-properties was part of gnome-session, and apparently they removed it in 3.12 because it was unmantained and gnome-tweak-tool should work. [source]
tweak-took 3.12 shoule feature "More robust startup application handling" according to the NEWS file, and I think it actually works better than before but is still quite unusable.
Only thing that seems to work for me is removing startup applications, but that only works for the ones in autostart directories in your /home.  I had to manually copy some files from /etc/xdg/autostart/ to ~/.config/autostart/ and edit the files to prevent them from starting.
I'm pretty sure when I had all the startup applications removed from GTT's list I was able to click the "+" below the list and add application, but that also listed only some applications.

I was having exactly the same problems as you. All I could do was remove entries, nothing else. I just thought to myself 'there must be a bug here that only we're seeing', so I fired it up in the terminal to watch the output. But for some reason, when I run it from the terminal, the Add Application dialogue works. Weird. Is it the same for you?

Doesn't change the fact that tweak-tool's dialogue is still rubbish though; I wish I could just type in a command like I could with gnome-session-properties.

Last edited by russ0r (2014-05-08 18:27:07)

#12 2014-05-08 19:50:54

ulukai

russ0r wrote:

I was having exactly the same problems as you. All I could do was remove entries, nothing else. I just thought to myself 'there must be a bug here that only we're seeing', so I fired it up in the terminal to watch the output. But for some reason, when I run it from the terminal, the Add Application dialogue works. Weird. Is it the same for you?

Doesn't change the fact that tweak-tool's dialogue is still rubbish though; I wish I could just type in a command like I could with gnome-session-properties.

Same here: when started from the terminal it works just fine to add an application. Otherwise, clicking the '+' sign does nothing. Like you said, it is still pretty worthless. Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with Gnome devs. All they do is take away all the cool stuff sad

#13 2014-05-12 13:30:56

TheChosenOne

ulukai wrote:

Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with Gnome devs. All they do is take away all the cool stuff sad

They made some huge progress so far, but yes, they have to stop removing stuff that is useful.

#14 2014-05-12 14:39:12

ulukai

I know. I'm not saying that they do everything wrong, but it's those classic dumbass decisions like this, taking away icons in menus, removing undo and redo buttons in gedit, and the list is really endless.
It just feels like each step forward means 2 steps backwards... However I don't like KDE and feel that other DEs are not mature enough to switch to for everyday use, so I'm really hoping they listen some more to the community and do something about it.

#15 2014-05-12 15:15:26

cris9288

russ0r wrote:
kabbalah wrote:

3. Reboot
4. Upgrade gnome-session
6. All ok

Something is wrong with your install then, because gnome-session-properties has been removed as of GNOME 3.12.

ooo wrote:

Check out the solution another user posted here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1414443

You basically need to edit two lines of code and it works again.

#16 2014-05-20 19:52:25

Neitsab
Wiki Maintainer

russ0r wrote:

I just noticed that right-clicking on a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/ and selecting "Properties" allowed me to edit the same fields as gnome-session-properties did:

1400615192.png

However we still have to manually create the desktop file/use Tweak Tool from Terminal/apply the two-line hack provided in a link above to create new entries. That sucks.

For those of us too nostalgic/lazy, gnome-session-properties is present in the AUR (I haven't tested it though).

#17 2014-05-20 21:23:43

TheChosenOne

Neitsab wrote:

For those of us too nostalgic/lazy, gnome-session-properties is present in the AUR (I haven't tested it though).

It works. Thanks!

#18 2014-05-21 01:14:55

Pednick

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

Board footer